How many carbs in this one...?

Thai salad - which looked to me like the healthiest choice on the menu.... how many grams of CHO (and how many calories!) would you think are in this?

ok glad to see i’m not the only one whose guess was off… :wink:

What is that on top? Rice? Noodles?

I’d guess 60, but I’m shooting in the dark here since I can’t tell what’s in it. But it’s always more rice than you think, and some sauces have some sugar in them.

this is what the description on the menu said -it didn’t have lots of rice/noodles, just those long crispy bits on top:

“Shredded Napa cabbage, chilled-grilled chicken breast, julienne cucumbers, edamame, crispy wontons, rice sticks, peanuts, cilantro, julienne carrots, red cabbage and green onions tossed with lime-cilantro and authentic Thai peanut dressings”

“Thai peanut dressings” sounds like carbs to me!

well, all of that except the chicken has some carbs :slight_smile: ok, cucumbers, onions and cabbage don’t have much but still, the serving looks quite big…

this was at California Pizza Kitchen a few weeks ago. Because it was topped with what looked to me like noodles, I thought it was throughout the salad so I gave quite a large bolus. Afterwards I was hypo and assumed it was mostly beause I had overestimated the carbs but having checked the website, it was probably because I didn’t manage to eat more than half of it - it has 112g CHO and 1285 calories!!!

Oh my goodness!!! You should post this in thecarb counting group.

I’m going to say that I don’t actually believe the salad pictured really is 1285 calories or that it has 112g of carb. I know that the menu says that their salads contain that, but I’m just not seeing it.

Here is the recipe for FOUR servings of the salad:

1 head Napa cabbage, cut into 1/4-inch strips
1 small head red cabbage, cored and chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and julienned
2 bunches scallions (green onions), thinly sliced (white and pale green parts only)
1 large English (hothouse) cucumber, peeled, cored and julienned
1 large bunch cilantro, chopped
2 cups cooked shelled edamame (soybeans)
2 cups roasted peanuts
4 breasts grilled garlic chicken
1 cup lime-cilantro dressing
4 cups fried wonton strips
2 cups crisp rice sticks
2 ripe Hass avocados, peeled, pitted, cut into 1/2-inch dice (optional)
1/2 cup Thai peanut dressing

Did the salad in question really have a cup of fried wonton strips in it? Or 6 Tablespoons of dressing?

possibly - it was enormous! the rice sticks would have about 45g CHO and then there are a few tablespoons of honey (at 17g CHO each) as well as corn syrup and sugar in the dressings… wouldn’t it be so much easier if carbs had to be listed by law on menus?! thanks for the recipe, i will definitely try to make an adapted version…http://http://blog.al.com/scenesource/2009/02/california_pizza_kitchens_reci.html