How many units of insulin do you use a day?

Since going on Metformin about a month ago, my TDD has dropped down to about 50-55u. My basal is right at 25.5u. This is still IMO a lot, but as I am overweight (I easily have 40lbs to lose), I expect it will come down more as I lose some weight… and especially as I get more active with the kids during summer. Last summer at this same weight my TDD was rarely above 40u. Before the met, I’d gotten to the point where my basal was about 40u, and my TDD was anywhere from 80-100u per day, with about 25-30% of that used for corrections. I was also going through a phase where my thyroid meds were WAY off, so that accounted for some degree of the IR I was experiencing.

An interesting effect I’ve noticed since starting Met is that my DP is just about gone (I do still run a higher basal overnight that is about 10% higher than I seem to need during teh day, but my current basal pattern is comprised of only two basal rates, where I used to run 4 different ones overnight before to compensate for a HUGE spike in BG around 4am, and while not every morning # has been great, I can see from the CGM that I’m solidly steady most nights… no sharp rises/drops) and my post-ovulation highs and escalating insulin usage has also all but resolved… I did notice a slight increase in insulin needs about a week after ovulation, but I had no severe lows or sharp decline in insulin requirements this past month with AF’s arrival. My insulin needs did drop, but gradually over 2 days and I was watching for it. Previously I’d almost double my basal rates right before AF and double all of my boluses… I was taking a LOT of insulin.

I use 20-25 units of Novolog per day in my Animas pump. 16 units for basal, bolus depending on how many carbs I eat.

mine 1:8 so veerryyy different to yours!

roughly 25-35 u novolog in my pump. i eat 60-90 g carbs a day sometimes less. my typical basal ammount on work nights is 17 u and days off is 16.3u

You are quite correct. Thx.

Could it be you still have some pancreas function left? I remember reading that even T1’s can have a very small amount of natural insulin still produced. Ever had your natural insulin levels tested?

I’m on a pump using novorapid, with 20units basal, and about another 20 for boluses.find it fascinating how different we all are!

I use a pod and have finally started walking twice a day (about 15 min each) with officemates now that the long winter appears to be about over. My basal is about 34 units a day. Bolus varies from 2-25 per day depending on carbs and exercise. I used to be around 55 units a day, but now am more like 40 or less. Boy so many of you don’t use much!!

i’ve been tpe 1 since 10 years old. i use 72 units basal in pump and 40 lantus (pen), plus about 70 in bolus 3 x a day. i used to think it sounded like a lot but it’s what works for me.

I’ve been a type 1 since i was 9 years old, 41 years ago. I use 18 units of basal and an average of 12 units of bolus per day, for an average total of 30 units per day.

I have a pump I use humalog and 26 units are my basal and about another 15 to 20 a day for boluses so about 46 or so

Hi Sophie, I use to take 106 units a day of insulin but since I have been put on victoza I have been able to reduce my insulin to 100 units per day and the iprovement has been very good day 31 on victoza eat less more aware of my surroundings and general health improving.

It really depends on the day. I average about 45-50u most days, with 25u being basal. Some days, especially on vacation, I have maxed out close to 70u a day and have used as little as 35u a day.

im curious, what is metformin?

It’s a pill taken by type 2s to reduce their blood sugar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metformin

Hi,
I am on Apidra with the Omnipod. My basal rates are very low. Mine is 9.8 units over 24 hours. My carb ratio is 1 to 5 carbs, so it depends on what I eat. I try to eat about 40 carbs per meal. That equates to 24 bolus units for a total of 33.8 per day.

Thanks!

Mine changed from 1:25 to 1:15… I only have 3u basal. I’m also wondering when my needs will change. I guess everybody’s different!

I am T1 on a pump with Novalog. 45 units per day with 26 for basals. I am constantly trying to lower my usage which is of course limiting my carbs, and I love carbs!!

I am on a pump, use Humalog and on average 45 units per day. Type I, 17 years.