How was it...!?!

I never tasted it and was wondering how was it!!???

THE LIFE BEFORE/ WITHOUT DIABETES!

Any ideas, whats changed in you, feelings, acting…

Part of me misses my life before diabetes, but then part of me doesn’t.
I miss hanging out with friends and not having to decide whether I’m going to eat the same junk that they are eating. I miss not having to take injections. I miss being a little less stressed. I miss not knowing what hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia felt like. I miss not having to pay for so much
But it also made me keep an eye on my health all the time. It made me listen to what my bodies needs are. It motivates me to exercise and eat better. Diabetes has introduced me to many wonderful people on here. It also made me appreciate life!
I may have more days where I feel down now that I have diabetes, but I dont let it keep me down for long. I know each day is a new day… a new start. I try to forget about yesterday and how my blood sugar was. And if I have another bad day, I remember that tomorrow isn’t too far away.

Nice words Tina, it is like a poem, wonderful THX

I miss the not worrying and eating when and whatever I want. I miss not gaining weight from the insulin too. Then having to work 3 times harder to just get it back off. But it did bring me to some of the best people I have ever talked to ever. TU D :slight_smile:

I cannot imagine , what the past 27 years would have looked like without diabetes. Having diabetes has empowered me to be fully engaged in being a volunteer with the Canadian Diabetes Association for over 26 years. And have been acknowledged by the Association as such . Involved in advocacy ,incl meetings with the federal and provincial politicians , fund raising , travel with Team Diabetes Canada to Honululu, Rome , Disney World 2 times and places just around the corner. Truly have met the nicest people here in my town , across Canada and on line ( TU ) …Ahmad for instance :slight_smile: because of having diabetes…Would all this have happened if I would be diabetes free ??..I don’t know .Sometimes I think about the liquors I so enjoyed prior to diagnosis …I am holding it this way …the plus sides of having to deal with it …helps me getting through my day to day stuff .

Other than fudgy brownies,

I miss knowing that I can apply and get approved for life insurance.
I miss knowing that I will not be excluded or priced out of a health insurance plan due to a “preexisting condition.”

I miss not having to test my blood sugar everytime i eat! and i miss not having to bring all the medical supplies with me everywhere i go!

I don’t know because I was just a little kid, that’s the first real memory I have of life was me being diagnosed. if anything is typed weird, my BG is low. must find food.

Ahh, i miss it so much sometimes.
I miss not having to carry all of my supplies around, and obviously the pain that diabetes brings with it.
I miss not having to watch what i eat and count up all the carbs, or have to take the time to check and take a shot.
I miss not having to worry about going high, or going low if i go out somewhere with friends or family.

But i guess i’m really happy that i developed this disease at the same time because now i’m probably way healthier and i’ve meet some amazing people (my boyfriend :D) through camp and such. And the people on here!

Wow Ahmad - this is a really good question. I’m like a few here, having had it since childhood - and reading what you all miss since becoming diabetic - sort of makes me abit jealous (maybe that’s too harsh a word?) that I didn’t get to live the way you did - and experience life as a nondiabetic- but again - I don’t know of any other way but a life with diabetes. It is what has made me what I am today - and sometimes I think I’m a better person for it!

Anna from Montreal - The Trials and Tribulations of a Diabetic

I don’t even remember.

hmmm, Thank you all for the reply. For those who don’t know me. I was born with D (Dx at 1 year old), it was my first friend and family, never left me alone…

Anyhow it seams I didn’t miss much!!! lol

Thx again and feel free to add more, since I know there is something else I missed. Like Feeling normal and doing other things!! :wink:

I was diagnosed at age 46. I’m 53 now. I remember life before diabetes.

LBD

I could sit down to a meal and not have to pop up again to go check my blood sugar.
I might have to run back into the house the get my wallet, but not my blood testing kit.
I never had to leave work to go home to change a malfunctioning infusion set.
If I wanted a Krispy Kreme donut, well, by God, I HAD a Krispy Kreme donut. Sometimes TWO!
Carbohydrate? What’s a carbohydrate?
Buffet? You bet your ■■■ buffet!! Seconds? Okay. Thirds? No problem.
Pizza.
Doctor visit? If I’m sick. And I feel like it.
Insulin is for what? It’s for too much sugar or the other way around? Or is it sugar?
Explain this to me again - you have too much sugar or not enough sugar?
Spaghetti
Yeah, I’d like to go to the gym with you, but I’ve got nothing to wear.
Apple pie, pumpkin pie, lemon meringue pie, strawberry pie, peach cobbler, chocolate silk pie . . . mmmm. Pie.
No, I don’t know what my bg level is, why do you ask and why would I even give a sh*t?

That’s a sample. I can still eat the food on the list, but not without thinking about it. To be graphic, it’s like putting on a condom every time I eat. That’s called practicing safe eating, kids. There are big changes and small changes. The big changes are good for me and were relatively easy to work into my routine. I don’t smoke anymore, I exercise regularly, I eat healthy foods (for the most part), I see my physician, dentist, opthamologist, endocrinologist etc. regularly. I say these were ‘relatively’ easy to work into my routine because it’s the small changes that are most intrusive and disruptive to life as I knew it. Get up in the morning: test your blood, check the infusion set, calculate carbs for breakfast, bolus, cook, eat, shower but watch out for the infusion site. Mid-morning: feeling low? check the blood. Feeling high? check the blood. Feeling okay two hours after eating? check the blood. Lunch time: check the blood, calc the carbs, calc the bolus, get to gym. Mid-day (repeat mid-morning). Anytime of the day - change reservoir, change infusion site, FIND infusion site.

The constant paying attention is hard to get used to - the consequences for a lapse in attention are a pain in the ■■■ and a major source of anxiety that was simply absent in LBD. I have forgotten to: reattach my pump, refill my reservoir, open a new pack of test strips, keep extra batteries at work, in the car, at home, check the battery level, have some fast acting carbs on hand at work, in the car, at the gym, on a hike, on a run, out with friends, on a plane trip, in the library, forgot to bring my blood testing kit, forgot to bolus, forgot IF I bolused, forgot WHEN I bolused . . . you name it, you’ve forgotten it, too.

But the biggest change is paying attention. All . . . the . . . fracking . . . time. I use this analogy to explain this to people who don’t understand: Imagine you make your living by driving a car all day and that your car has no gas gauge. The consequences of running out of gas are that you die, sort of like in the movie “Speed.” Although you may drive in the same general area and terrain most of the time, you can’t predict the weather or traffic and occasionally you have to drive from L.A. to Las Vegas. So, besides doing your primary job - driving - you also have to constantly check that you DON’T RUN OUT OF GAS. In a less drastic example, running out of gas means you lose a car part. Could be a cigarette lighter, could be a turn signal or it could be a wheel. You’ll never know until it’s gone.

Anyway, that’s my snapshot of LBD and LAD. I don’t mind LAD so much. There’s plenty of LBD stuff I don’t miss.

But I sure would like to eat some apple pie ala mode without thinking twice about it.

Terry

I was diagnosed at 21. So I remember life before diabetes. But actually I find that I forget that I used to not have diabetes. It all feels so normal now…

My life was much more full of pizza and ice cream and brownies and…

carefree…undisciplined…sometimes irresponsible…worryfree…with lots of sweets and fatty food (literrally, lol)

DIABETES…

careful…disciplined and controlled…responsible…constantly conscious…did not let off sweets but lessen it and avoid fatty foods.

I’m 30+ years in.

I’m with you Dave - eat whatever I wanted, stayed thin/normal weight. Not arguing with the food police. Not having to explain anything. No stupid urine test strips (no meters back then).

Sometimes I think you have to be a tad obsessive to manage diabetes - least I had to become that. Wasn’t before. I’d like to think I had empathy then, but definitely have more now.

Who knows I would be like without diabetes? I certainly can’t say for myself. Interesting subject though.

It was different.
But then again, after having to serve 2 tours in s.e.asia - having my pancreas destroyed by agent orange - becoming a type 1 diabetic with a myriad of other medical problems- living with terrible nightmares, I’m used to “different”. I think you are luckier. You were born with it. I got mine a terrible way, and I pay for it every day there after.

Well, I’ve only had diabetes for 3 months now and to be honest, I really haven’t made that much of a change to the way that i eat as compared to before. i was never a big sweets person and have remained that way. Now, if I want something sweet, i work it into my plan. my life is just a bit more organized now that I have diabetes, but with diabetes and knowing how serious it is, makes me just live my life with a bit more caution. Some days i hate it, others i love it. I love that it makes me different, but at the same time I hate how it makes me different. i think how i feel mostly depends on my BS and if it’s low, then i hate everything, high, I love everything… i do get annoyed at the yo-yoing back and forth…