I am tired of ,not from diabetes but from hardwork in controlling it

I am tired of ,not from diabetes but from hardship in controlling it

Its exhasting. 24/7, no vacations, no down time. Its a mental challenge I’d like to pass on to someone else at this point.

Add me to the list of the Tired…AAArrrgghh

hi, Ravinder, namaste. Tell us what is your biggest challenge - maybe we can help you break it down into small steps.

Me too it’s hard work & we never get a break from diabetes

We’re low so we have to treat it even if were not hungry!

Ravinder, Know right where you’re coming from. I think it’s good to tell other diabetics how you feel because when I do I know there is just that one other person who gets “the Tightrope” we walk both when we’re low, high or neither. Often the eating when you don’t want to (Ayssa downing1) , the logging, the craziness in life that doesn’t care about your diabetes, all these things and more weigh you down. It’s been 26 years for me and I would just love a day without wondering if I’ll go low while with others or without having to take a shot… but I guess it could be worse. Thanks for letting me vent, though; felt great!
Virgil in Potland, OR

If you look at D as a method to keep us on track with our diets & exercise, we may become the healthiest of our species…Look around…Not a pretty sight…The glass is half full…Lanie in Indiana

Ravinder:

I can appreciate the feeling of being weighed down by the never-ending responsibilities connected to diabetes. But I want to offer you a new perspective. Think about the every-day nerve-wracking problems faced when you can no longer walk unaided because you let your BG go wild one Thanksgiving. Think again of spending your lifetime just getting down the hall in a scooter or power chair or wheelchair because of those legs. Think, then, of all the problems associated with unhealed wounds on the feet deep enough to almost reach the bone and threats of amputation. Think, again, of spending months and months in a rehab center/nursing home because you live alone and cannot put any weight on the foot that is most affected. Can you get the picture? Can you see that the future of careful selection of meals, etc. is much less a strain a burden than that of handling the nightmare looking at you every day for the rest of your life.

I don’t mean to sound nasty, but I not only have been but will always be going through it. Please feel free to go to my site (Lois La Rose) to read my story. I have not had the chance to update the last two or three hospitalizations because I am still going through the nursing home/rehab center portion of this particular saga. God bless you with the serenity to accomplish what you have outlined above and the gratefulness of not going through what I am describing.

Lois La Rose
Milwaukee, WI

i

I hope my “venting” earlier didn’t discourage someone; that wasn’t the intent at all. No, it is because I am talking to other diabetics that I felt comfortable saying how I felt. I just don’t have other diabetics to talk to, that’s all. In truth, great habits are extremely important, and I have been blessed for persistent testing and close attention to low and high blood sugar signals in my body . And Lanie and Lois, you both are spot on with your comments.

All of us talk here because dealing with D is a challenge .We’re here to give and to take, to help one another stay as healthy as we can for as long as we can. Best wishes for anyone feeling beat up by the D today!

hi , marie NAMESTE TO YOU TOO
my biggest challenge is to rise high . at present I i do bussiness, i want to expand , but due to D, i have to rstrict my activities you know, and this basted D,( my daughter also type 1 diabetic) is also eating , big part of my earning…i am really tired of spending so much money ,…and hardwork still remains same to control it…today is 10th of month and still have not paid the rent of shop

I am a type II; and I understand your tiredness very well. I know it isn’t quite what you put up with, but it seems that this is all I do. Plan meals, count carbs, test, exercise, feel positive (how?) and hope that I am doing it right.

But when you consider the alternative, what else can we do? I love my toes, my feet are ugly, I love to be able to look out and see the sunlight…I love looking into my son’s faces…so I guess we keep going on.

One therp had me list the things I could live without, IF I didn’t take care of myself. The list was very short, but the long list was those things that I would miss if I didn’t take care of me…and it was a long list. Sometimes we have to do this just to get a perspective on things.

Good luck, hang in there. YOU are worth the trouble, the pain and the work.

Cathy J type II

Ravinder- I can certainly join the chorus here. It is exhausting under the best of circumstances, but I try to remind myself that so many have it so much worse. I think it’s made more difficult right now because of economic hardships and the constant concern about health insurance- don’t get me started on that. It’s hard enough to juggle the daily battle with D without having to worry about how you’re going to pay for it as well. And, you’ve got your daughter to worry about too- that’s a lot on your plate. Hang in there- I’m sure you’ll get through it and talking with people about it will hopefully be of help.

Lois- I am truly sorry that you have suffered so many hardships as a result of diabetes and I hope whatever problems you have can and will be resolved. That said, I don’t think the list of horrors caused by uncontrolled diabetes is a “new perspective”- which one of us with D doesn’t have this in the back of our mind all the time? To read that letting your BG go crazy just one Thanksgiving meal will cause bits to drop off simply scares the %^#$ out of people like me who- no matter how hard I try, count and test- cannot seem to keep it under control. I think it would be more positive to offer support or suggestions than to highlight a dire future. Hope you feel better soon.

Add me to the list of tired…the D and its associates thyroid problems and vit D deficiancy…oh the list goes on—it is a struggle…sometimes just to do the daily routine of D care–but the results of njot taking care of it are worse…but that does not help the tiredness…

And the effect on family is another wieght…sorrry–just one of those days for me too…thanks tuD friends for being understanding ears!

Hi Ravinder! I feel for you. It is something that we never get a day off from thinking about it or working towards the goal of “control”. Tu is a great place to reach out, get support and vent too! There are days when I get tired of the hard work, but I remind my self of how much better I feel when I am in better control. Some days I find it to be overwhelming other days not so much. I have also found that meditating has really helped me in clearing my mind on those really hard days! Hang in there!

I hear ya! With everything I had to deal with lately,my sugar has not been at the best of levels and it’s frustrating to have that to deal with that to.Sometimes I’m not sure which way to turn.I just want to pull my hair out.I’m sure if we all work together, we can work to coach each other thru it.

I feel it with you. Especially when there are two of you in the family and one is a child.
Every time I feel that there’s no letting up in the demands, I think of another way to approach it.
I try to thrive on finding new ways to look at it. New creative ways. Ways that give me energy anew.
I look at just ONE part of the job. And something stands out that I can improve, work on, help.
Cheers tomorrow morning as you get up. It starts new every day! It’s Columbus Day! Discovery Day!

I totally agree! Sometimes I feel like throwing my tester kit & injections and everything to do with my D into the garbage! i have a Down Syndrome daughter and even she is not as difficult as this. I feel your pain

your right. no vacations, and no downtime. someone should figure out a way to get a half vacation…like someone else count carbs and figure out doses and stuff for us for just one day.

Yes, it can be exhausting, particularly since you are managing a young one. And expensive. Maybe your wife can help you some days and nights so you can have a diabetes vacation? We still take care of my niece’s D except when she is in school (then we do it with her over the phone). I am praying so hard that either the artificial pancreas or some other advance (implantable, foolproof cgms, anyone?) will be available before she is 18. We do not want to turn this burden over to her; it really is like another part-time job. Praying for a new advance, a cure for you and everyone…

I totally understand your comment. Its not the diabetes so much as the constant hard work that sometimes does not pay off.