I just got a positive!

I had to tell you all first! I just found out I’m pregnant!!! This is our first baby, and luckily for us it didn’t take long. I know it’s super early but I had to share with this community because I know I’ll be needing you all throughout my experience!

I’m calling an OBGYN Monday to set up an appointment, already contacted my doc for insulin adjustments. Wow, we are so surprised and so happy!

Also nervous, because of T1D, Hashimoto’s & a newly diagnosed heart condition (I have a very mild mitral valve regurgitation), but overall I’m super excited! Health aside, I’m gonna take this day by day and just do the best I can. I’m glad my A1C has been low for a while, so I’m not as nervous as I thought I would be about diabetes management, but I know that will change once my body starts changing itself! lol

Thank you all for being here and being the exact support I’ve needed so far and I know I’ll need in the future. Much love!

13 Likes

Congratulations @daisy707!!

2 Likes

Great news for you and your significant other

2 Likes

You sound excited, I’m excited for you, Congratulations

2 Likes

:partying_face: Congratulations @daisy707 … you and your husband must be over the moon! :partying_face:

2 Likes

Thank you everyone! we are so thankful and very excited!! :smiley: :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Congratulations! Make sure you take some time to enjoy this transition into motherhood! You’ll be great!

2 Likes

Congratulations! Enjoy the whole experience! Even the not so good ones, because the good and the bad will make your beautiful baby. And each experience will help you when you both become parents… the good and the bad it all makes it worth it. I am thrilled for you both!

2 Likes

Congratulations that’s so exciting. I’ve heard t1 mothers tend to have big babies. Which is not a bad thing except of course the birth thing. My daughter was 9 pounds. And her mom is not diabetic. Sooo ya just never know.
Enjoy the whole 40 weeks

2 Likes

Congratulations, enjoy each day ! Take care. Nancy50

2 Likes

T1 here. My son weighed 6 lbs 3 oz

3 Likes

Congratulations!!

2 Likes

Congrats on your good news, @daisy707. I suspect you will do well with managing your pregnancy. Do you wear a CGM?

2 Likes

Thank you! And no I don’t wear one, my insurance even with pregnancy does not cover one and I can’t afford the out of pocket. I’m going to do my best without, but I test so much anyway it’s a non-issue for me. :slight_smile: All I can do is do my best!

3 Likes

Sometimes insurance will not cover an item but will entertain an appeal from your doctor based on “medical necessity.” I managed for years using 10-15 strips per day, so I know it can be done, but I never had to manage a pregnancy! Consider an appeal, if that route is possible. Good luck!

2 Likes

Hi, Daisy - congratulations on your pregnancy! I am a T1 with two grown sons, both healthy - and both got married last year! Good things are ahead for you.

Here’s something I wish I’d known for my first pregnancy: sudden lows will happen. And for some reason, your body won’t recognize them. You’ll feel tired - which is normal during the first trimester - but it could be more than tiredness, it could be a low. Always test! Your baby’s busy growing and your body will prioritize nutrients for the fetus, which can sometimes cause blood glucose to plummet.

Enjoy this amazing time!

2 Likes

Thank you!! And yes! That’s something I knew would be coming, and I’m testing a whole lot. Anytime before taking a nap I’m sure to test, and I’ve also not been able to correct anything 150 or below because I drop too far, even with less correction. Taking it day by day for sure, and keeping loads of juice and snacks on hand :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good for you. You’ve got this!

2 Likes

Congratulations, Daisy!

2 Likes

Congratulations Daisy! I have two great daughters resulting from two great T1 pregnancies! (…weighing 6.5 and 7.0 lbs, so no worries on the diabetes effect when you’re in good control…) No CGM available for me at that time either, so lots of testing and everything went well. So happy for you! Jessica

2 Likes