I need help

so i just learned that i have diebetes and im not sure what to do my number have been anywhere from 200-400 and i was in the hosptial for them and i just keep thinking that im going to die and i have had thoughts about sucide becuase if im going to die why wait ive been really deppressed i want to talk to my family but they wont understad how i feedl they have no clue even where to begin about how i feel i feel like im there is nothing to die for i want to live but i feel that this thing is going to wiegh me down idk

Jennifer, the most important thing any of us can reassure you is that it’s going to be okay.

I’ve lived for 18 years as a type 1 diabetic. It is so new and painful for you right now, and all of us have been where you are. The days after diagnosis where you are exhausted. The days at home where you realize which things will be different now. The feeling like no matter how much your family cares, they can’t know what you feel like today or tomorrow.

I am a healthy, normally functioning independent adult - who happens to have diabetes. There are low blood sugars and high ones. But there are great ones, too. As a diabetic, I went to college, started my own music studio, found a great guy and got married, and any of the other things I wanted to do. Those were my goals. Focus on yours. How can diabetes affect them? How can you turn that around?

I hope you explore our community and see how many others have great advice, how inspiring each success can feel, and how weird a condition diabetes is. We are healthy - except when we’re not. We’re not dying, but we better get our insulin when we need it. You aren’t invaded by a pathogen, you aren’t deteriorating (though after getting out of the hospital it might feel like it because you’re utterly stressed and exhausted), and you aren’t sick. Your body just doesn’t produce insulin. Neither does mine. Neither do 4,000 others in our community. I’ll be thinking of you in the coming weeks. Let us know how you’re doing. Don’t be afraid to ask a question - even if you think it’s dumb.

You’re right your family is clueless about what you are feeling .Why should they? They don’t have it. But that doesn’t mean they don’t care. Youv’e come to right place .Everyone of us have felt these this . You are going through the greiving process. You lost who you were;now everything is different.I remember waking up every morning and saying ;"Damn I still alive ,I didn’t die last night.’’ (Okay, there are still some days I still get bummed out.) Please promise 'no matter how bad it gets ,never commit suicide. As long as your alive ,there’s nothing we can’t fix together …But if you kill youself then thereis no getting better!

It does get better. Trust me on this one. Right now it all seems overwhelming and so much to learn. Soon It will become second nature. I know it’s hard but try to relax. We are all here to help you through this.

Maybe it will help you to not to think of it as a disease but more of a chance to live a healthy lifestyle.

Listen to Melissa she’s a pretty smart cookie.

You’ve made a good step by coming here to surround yourself with people who also deal with diabetes every day.
Diabetes IS NOT the end of the world…or your life. I’ve been a Type 1 diabetic for 23 years. I have no complications.
When I was a child my mom used to tell me that if I didn’t take care of my diabetes, it would take care of me. So just remember that you can deal with this. Get in touch with an endocrinologist and a diabetes educator and have them refere you to someone that can help with dealing with the mental side of diabetes.
It’s important to get the blood sugars under control, but I think it’s just as important to take care of the mental part of diabetes also.
Just know that we are all here with you and for you. Don’t let diabetes win.
You may also want to try to find a local diabetes support group.

Hello! You come to the right place. Were all here to CONNECT! and reach out to new dx and already dx. mY brother was dx in 70s and me in 1994 of March. I just recently started insulin pump like my brother. He is truely my inspireration to keep going on. Along with kids that have DIABETIES. YOUR NOT ALONE. It will take TIME!:slight_smile: I am sure after awhile it will just be a way of life for you. If you ever wanna chat. I am here for you. I been thourgh both sides of the DIABETIES LIFE! Take care and god bless. ITS GOING TO BE OK…

Not going to lie to you. You will have your ups and downs with this disease. Some days you will feel like you can’t beat it and other days you will feel wonderful and feel like you can do anything in the world. In reality you can do anything you want, you just might have to go about it differently than everyone else. Like taking breaks to check sugar, resting when your sugar is high or low. Listen to your body on how it feels, it won’t lie to you. Living with a chronic disease is hell at times, but you can do it. If you need to seek out counseling with someone that works with people who have a chronic diseases. Reach out to friends, reach out to others here, educate your friends and family. Have them join this group so they can learn how to help you. If you have give diabetes the finger, I am sure almost all of us here have felt like doing that, I know I have more than once, but each day is a new day and who knows maybe it will be better than the last.

we are definately all here to support each other, I have had t2 diabetes for almost 8 yrs now and it is a up and down battle, you have to force yourself to adapt, learn to fight your desires to give in and most of all listen to what advice you are given. Also friends and family will most likely say or do things that do not make sense, go against what you have learned, they are just trying to help with little to too much info at there hands. Best thing is to listen to fellow diabetics, your doctor and use best common sense. Slowly you can educate your family on things, trust me they will make comments, or give advice that is in the far left field, dont worry about them though :slight_smile: Talk to them, to your doctor, and to us here in tudiabetes :slight_smile:

Good Luck
Derek

Jennifer-

Hello! it’s going to be ok! you aren’t going to die, you have to learn how to take care of yourself! you’ve made the first step by joining Tudiabetes! You will learn so much from this community. I am the only diabetic in my family:) I have been diabetic for 4 years and in those 4 years I had a baby and still living good! I am not going to tell you diabetes is easy to live with because it’s not. If you need anything at all or need someone to chat with let me know.

Cherise

Hi Jennifer.
You really came to the right place. I am so glad you are with us. I know that everything seems just overwhelming right now. But we are ALL here with you. Together we can do ANYTHING. All of us on here are diabetics. And we go on and live our lives and sometimes have a really good time and sometimes have a tough time. But we are together. Like Melissa said, there are about 4000 of us in this family and we ALL help each other. No matter what the problem is Jennifer or how big it seems with all of the family working to help you and just loving you and caring about you it will be easier to get through. Give us a chance to help. Don’t give up. That way diabetes wins. But we are all stonger than diabetes or anything else. No matter what you need we are all here and willing to help. I am sending you a big hug and lots of love.
Blessings be to you. Come back and keep posting. We need to hear from you.

Jennifer,

I am so sorry to hear how scared you are. Everyone who posted before me is exactly right… this may not be “family” but it sure has heck feels like it. When are you going back to your doctor? Are you scheduled to receive any diabetic education through your local hospital or health facility? Education about diabetics will help you understand what is needed to start trying to get your blood sugars under control and your stress reduced. Please do not feel alone… you do have a lot of people here who care and want you to feel better and get healthy…

Life with diabetes is a big change but you can have a healthy and happy life with it.
Depression often comes with having diabetes as well… that is also something that can be treated and changed.
I know you are frightened; we all were when we found out diabetes was a reality in our own lives. You will have to change your lifestyle, but a life dealing with diabetes can be just as happy, healthy, and rewarding as anyone elses. It’s not going to be easy at first; you have to work to make your own story a successful one. You can pull through this Jennifer!

Hi Jennifer,

I was diagnosed Type 1 in late May. What, who me, why, someone’s made a mistake here–those were my thoughts as I laid in the hospital bed with tubes, IV’s & monitors. I’m healthy, active, slim, strong, never get sick, always ate healthy–this couldn’t be happening to me.

I couldn’t wait to get out of the hospital. But when I got home, I was scared, terrified really. Was a pain to be in the hospital, but everything there was done for me there. I didn’t know where to start, what to do when I got home. Depressed–yep! Angry–most definitely! Confused–oh yes!

I didn’t want anyone to feel sorry for me, but I wanted them to understand. But how could I hope to try to make them understand if I didn’t tell them how I felt? Please try to share your thoughts, your fears with your family. Perhaps you could start by asking them how they feel about your diagnosis. They’re scared & worried also, but they may not how to open the conversation & could be waiting for you to start the dialogue. Even if you can’t tell them how you feel, & it sure is a complex mix of emotions to sift through, tell them what you need. For me, it was telling my husband that his constant worrying & fretting & fluttering over me, made it harder for me. I had to tell him not to treat me differently, but to be patient with the mood swings that accompany the highs & lows. Of course, he said that dealing with my moods was nothing new:)

It’s been said that depression is anger turned inward. If this may be true for you, let the anger out.

I can tell you that it does get it easier, a lot easier. Life as you have known it has changed, as it has for all of us here, but it won’t hinder you from doing anything you want.

What helped me was reading & learning everything I could. It helped me to feel less helpless & hopeless. It helped me understand that no doctor was going to do for me what I could do for myself.

Glad you found TuDiabetes. Most wonderful people here to support & help you. Everyone’s incredible about sharing experiences & info, lending an ear & a shoulder. The experienced ones help the newbies like you & me. Ask anything you need to & someone will know something to assist. Don’t be shy.

Jennifer,

i know this is not goin to be easy for you, especially being a newly diagnosed. but just like what they say, its goin to be ok…

dont give up. dont even think about death… we dont live in those years where diabetics have nothin they can do to have a better control, and eventually die. in this community, youll be amazed, there are those who had diabetes for 30, 40 even 50 years and still doin ok… ive had it for 20 years and im feelin ok, doin great…it started when i was 9 years old and i remember it was so hard for me and for my family. but everything can be learned. i learned to watch what i ate, take control of diabetes and take care of myself until i finished my college. although i should say, all through those years, it was never an easy battle, just like everybody else, we have our ups and downs, but the good thing bout it is that we learned along the way. learning how to deal with it is the key… dont let it control you. I understand what youre feelin right now… we all have to go through that stage. but dont lose hope. im sure in the days, months, or years to come, youll look back and laugh about these days when you felt like giving up…

we can do everything…! we may have diabetes but we are ok.

Life doesnt end, when diabetes begin…

we are always here for you, be strong…

take care

I got 24 years of this stuff down, and am healthier than most of my co-workers.

I was 3 months premature and have had a visual impairment from this and then, after diabetes, a thyroid problem came up. My eyes won’t ever get better, but everything else is controlled.

You’ll be fine, take it a day at a time to learn about this stuff and deal with it. It isn’t going to kill you if you take it in hand and start to manage it. Listen, learn and do it. You’re the one with the power, so wield it.

Jenny.