ID Bracelet Help

Because I am on insulin I am going to get a medical id bracelet. I've had several lows although I'm so new I can easily tell when I'm low(although there has been one or two instances where I'm surprised at my low numbers). What should I inscribe on a bracelet besides "diabetic"? I notice that most bracelets will engrave more than one line of information. What is important to list?

Thank you so much!

I just got my new ID in the mail. I was pretty wordy, but there was room, so why not?

Mine has:

FirstName MI LastName / BirthYear
City, State, USA
FAMILY (999) 999-9999
I'M NOT DRUNK. REALLY.
** DIABETIC / INSULIN **
DIAL 911, GIVE SUGAR

I put city, state and USA because I occasionally travel to other countries (mostly Canada, but I have also lived in Europe and...you just never know.)

I put FAMILY and the out-of-town number for the house where my sister, brother-in-law and mother live, because if I put my number on there, they'd be ringing the cell-phone in my purse.

I put "I'M NOT DRUNK. REALLY." because of the horror stories you hear of people going hypo in public and the people around them thinking they're drunk or stoned, including poorly trained police officers and EMT's. I'm not worried about this being false, as I have (at the very most) maybe two drinks a year.

I didn't mention T2 but just put ** DIABETIC / INSULIN ** because I don't want them under-treating me based on false assumptions about T2's.

I put "GIVE SUGAR" because I'm a T2 on a moderately low-carb diet and MDI. The odds are probably 1,000 to 1 that if I'm impaired in public it would be because of a hypo, not hyperglycemia or DKA.

So there you have it: my choices and rationale -- now if only my new bracelet wasn't so itchy. Sigh.

Paramedics and 911 are very well versed in dealing with hypos especially after finding that subject is a diabetic using insulin. (If they don't find that out for sure, they may likely just assume it anyway, but if they find an ID saying diabetes then they know real easy.)

"Insulin Dependent Diabetes" is a little outdated but sums it up pretty well. I'm sure today "T1 diabetes" would work too.

I actually just wrote a blog post about this (http://mybustedpancreas.com/2012/03/02/in-case-of-an-emergency/).

I maintain a MedicAlert account, but get my bracelets from LaurensHope.com. I just have them engrave my MedicAlert information on the back.

So, the back of my bracelet looks like this:

Type 1 Diabetic
Insulin Pump
1-800-XXX-XXXX (USA)
XXXXXXX <--My medic alert ID number

My MedicAlert account contains all emergency contact info, doctors' info, and additional important health information.

I have "Type 1 Diabetic" on there and insulin pump because, as a T1, it's important that they know I'm insulin dependent and on a pump. If I were to become detached from my pump or my pump is busted up in an accident, I have a very small window of time before I start going into DKA without basal insulin in my system. For me, that is probably the most important thing.

My brother is a first responder/EMT, and I asked him this same question. He said testing glucose is one of the first things any responder will do. BUT, I think it is important to remember that it is also very likely that average citizens may also come to your aid, and a low may not be the only reason you need help.

Because most companies charge by the line, I made mine pretty short. I did not put my name.
I put:
Type 1 Diabetes
Insulin Dependent
ICE 555-555-1234

I'm sure you know this, but ICE stands for In Case of Emergency. I added my husband's cell phone. It is also suggested you put any allergies to medication, etc. you may have.

I've been D for 38 years and have not had any trouble for a very long time. The IDs of yesterday were UGLY and I seldom wore one. Less than a month ago I decided this is something I should do, and ordered a really cute one from lauren's Hope. I had my first convulsion from a low in over 15 years last weekend. I was home, so the ID didn't have any impact........but I am so glad I went ahead and ordered it.

I'm glad I came across this thread. I'm due for an updated MedicAlert soon, and I had no idea that I needed more information on mine than I have.

(All mine says is Diabetes/Insulin Dependent" along with the MedicAlert phone number and my M.A. ID number.

Thanks, everyone!

Smart idea about having "INSULIN PUMP" engraved on it. True story: several years ago I was home alone and had food poisoning BAD BAD BAD. Got dehydrated, BGs through the roof and delirious. At some point I detached my pump and put it away. DKA kicked in & I was unconscious when my bride found me. EMTs figured it was a low (by BG didn't register at all on their machine) so they gave me a huge dextrose IV bolus & dextrose drip. My BG at the hospital was 1440.

At the time I had a Medic Alert with the data I had with them fully updated. Unlike their "advertisement" that EMS or ER would see it, call them and know what In had & how to help, both EMS & ER ignored it. I asked later and both said that while a bracelet gives them a "heads up" they have found too many times that the info on file is often unhelpful. Their advice: have a medical ID with condition & contact info for your PCP and next of kin. I quit using the Medic Alert service.

On mine I have the following engraved:
[front]
NAME
Type I Diabetes
O Pos/NKA/{Religion}
Contact Info Inside
[inside]
{next of kin name}
{next of kin cell phone #}
{PCP Name}
{PCP phone number}

I have T1 Diabetic on my bracelet. Its not big enough for much else...
In my phone I have ICE (in case of emergency) with my mom, endo, and aunt

Has anyone here tried USB medic alert jewelry? And does anyone know if emergency services are likely to nave/use laptops in their ambulance? If so, seems like this might be an really effective ID. -Here is one site that carries them:

USB Medic Alert Jewelry

- You can engrave what you want on the outside, and on the flash drive is a medical form you fill out with all the pertinent ID/contact/doctor/family info.

Thanks for any input.

I have my name, Type 1/Insulin Dependent--I didn't include an ICE number because they change so quickly.

On my son's we put

Name
Mom's contact #
Diabetic
Insulin dependent

Other dog tag
Name
Birth date
IDDM

We wanted birthdate available because his name is common, his endo has another patient with the same name.

Interesting website/concept. However would EMT's, hospital ER, whatever want to put a stranger's USB in their computer? They would be taking a chance of getting a virus in their computer, no? Unless of course they wanted to scan the flash drive first.

I have the Lauren's Hope ID with two interchangeable bracelets. My ID has the following:

First Name Last Name
Diabetes Type 1
Insulin Dependent
See Wallet Card

My wallet card has insulin pump, husband's name and cell number.

Good question. Yo! Any EMT's in shouting distance on tudiabetes?

In 1984, Medic Alert recommended putting "Takes Insulin" on the bracelet. I beleive now they want "Type 1 Diabetes" if you are type 1. Your page indicates you are type 1 or LADA, so I would say "Type 1 Diabetic,"rather than "takes insulin".

Definitely any allergies.

Possibly religion.
Treatments should be different if you were christian scientist. If you were jehovah's witness, they probably wouldn't give you a blood transfustion. If you are LDS, you might want a healing blessing or something.

If you get medic alert, specifically, they will have suggestions of what you could put. Personal information like your name and existing doctor are maintained by Medic Alert, so you wouldn't have to put that on the tag.

I keep all mine on a Road ID (which I mentioned in another thread here recently). Road ID allows for six lines of info, though many folks often put little optimistic phrases along the last line. I did not do that:

MICHAEL A MCCLURE (1958)
CALABASAS, CA 91302 USA
BETH - XXX-XXX-XXXX WIFE
HOME - XXX-XXX-XXXX
-- TYPE 1 DIABETIC --
CODEINE ALLERGY BITCHES!

I ride a lot with an EMT, and he said they (he and all of his EMT bubs) would take great, GREAT care of me if they ever saw that bracelet. :)

/\/\