Inserting the infusion set for the first time and maybe a few more questions

I’m starting out with the shorter tubing but will ask for samples of the different types so I can have options. Dont worry I wont forget about that part :)…I just say the shorter one as I’m 5 feet tall and worried about the pulling :slight_smile:

Diabetes Net which is the web site run by John Walsh of Pumping Insulin fame has a lot of good info on the different infusion sets, the link is

http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_technology

Don’t forget you can use any set with a Luer Lock fitting you are not limited to those supplied by Animas. I use different sets on different parts of my body, Comfort or Inset30 in my stomach & Inset in my buttocks. The only drawback is that the tubing is not interchangeable.

Hi Amy. I too just started pumping two weeks ago. I got the inset90 degree, short infusion set. I put my pump on my pants, bra, and thigh it is long enough (I am 5’1"). It is painless, but be careful when inserting. Because my canula is plastic, it is easy to bend and it took my two days to realize I wasn’t getting any insulin because it bent when I inserted! I hope to try to self-insertion ones at one point if this problem continues but I think it’s a good starter set. One of the only ways to know it’s in is to monitor your sugar after insertion.

I just got my software yesterday. The UPS guy threw it onto my balcony (20 feet from my stairs) without telling me so it has been sitting outside for about a week! Animas told me they would send another one if this one is damaged… I am upset because the software doesn’t work on Windows 7, which I plan on getting soon :frowning:

I am excited for you and good luck once you get it!

Amy,

Congrats! Actually, my pump infusions hurt a lot less than the Dex changes (and to me are easier, but that’s probably because I’ve been doing them for almost 9 years!). I have used the SoftSet for most of my time pumping (made by MiniMed). I have tried both the 23 and 42" tubing and I personally prefer the longer tubing. It makes it so when it falls out of my pants, it hits the floor or my foot and does not pull out. You may prefer the shorter tubing…

I too have a wonderfully kitty who plays with anything with a string. Blanche does not touch tubing that has had the insulin in it (don’t ask me how I got lucky!). She will play with the tubing that I have not used/primed with insulin. She stuck a curious paw out the first day I had her (was 6.5yrs at adoption!) and I smacked her nose with a loud “no!” and won’t touch it now…

Good luck and enjoy!

Amy, My two cents worth – go long and straight in. Get your trainer to do a saline run for a cartridge or two. You do what you have been doing and “learn” the pump free of dangers. The longer tubing lets you try different places. Ladies have an extra storage location men do not have. Long tubing is essential if you wear the pump on your belt and go to the bathroom. Try the places you find best to carry your CGM and swap them around a little. Keep the tubing pulled up in a little coil - then measure the length of tubing (not counting the coil) to go from your pump to your site.

Everyone has given you great advice. EXPERIMENT. As far as hurting, only if you hit a nerve bundle, same as with an insulin syringe.

As far as kitty goes, keep the tubing out of sight as much as possible.

Yes, Amy, the saline is a good idea. I think it really helped me to be able to program things and mess around with settings for a few days without worrying about insulin. I hope you are reading my posts as well and that of the other newbies because then you can learn from our mistakes!

As for the tubing, not to get to personal, but most women are small enough that the short tubing will allow you to go to the bathroom as well and the long tubing can hit the floor if you’re not careful!

Thanks!!! I had no idea he had his own site!!! I should add it to my bookmarks and refer to it. I love how animas isn’t restricted to certain infusion sets. That was one of the thing I didnt like about MM.

ugh I hate UPS. I truly do. Good to know to check sugar levels to be sure the infusion set is indeed in I wonder if you can feel the cannula going in and if that would be a sign it is in or either way you can’t tell?

Thanks…I’ll have to see what happens with Calvin. He also likes licking plastic bags too (weirdo of a cat). I’ll just get excited to hug my kermmie hehe

Thanks Jay…I will be wearing scrubs as my new wardrobe so it will be interesting to see the different places to put it. I will be experimenting. I just cant wait to have it in my hand. I remember in the “is a pump for you” class I got to look at animas close up. It was so easy to remove the battery top which is something I needed so I got to see that. I also got to see where people in the pump group I go to put theirs. So I’m excited to see what my settings will be and where I should put it. I think once I do get it, I may place the pump unit in various places and see what it will look like.

oh I do reads your posts :)…Hence why I was excited when you mentioned about the tallygear! Which I still may get. I can’t wait to see the tubing and see what works and what doesn’t, etc.

The only time I felt the site go in, I hit a capillary and had to pull it back out (massive blood gushing up the tubing!). The only way I can tell is by my blood sugar (usually about 2hrs afterward!).

ahh…that is what I’m scared of…>Blood gushing through the tubing!

Oh, sorry, Kelly, I misunderstood. I didn’t know you could do that. I didn’t have anyone I dealt with in person before I ordered my pump over the phone.

When mine went in and bent, Amy, (my first day on insulin!) I had no indication of it except my blood sugar quickly went up in the 200s and stayed there, despite doing corrections. When I did a correction with an insulin pen and it came down I knew it was the set. I saw it was bent when I pulled it out.

Thanks for the tip…I just can’t stand waiting for my insurance company to make a decision. I just want to start pumping like now…I am hoping my ins company wont deny otherwise it will be a long road ahead of me.

What is the hold up with the insurance company? With mine, I looked up in the insurance book and it said 80% for “durable medical equipment” and the animas rep contacted them and got back to me to confirm that the next day. Do you know you’re covered? I find it hard to understand why they are doing this and why your animas rep isn’t making it happen for you!

I go through neighborhood Diabetes as they deal with the insurance I have. Its nothing with Animas at all. The rep Ive been in contact with is very excited I am finally getting my green ping. My concern with my insurance company is back in september they said they cover 100% but anything can happen with insurance companies (use to be a medical biller now a nursing assistant) so anything is possible…I should hear by this coming week or next as my insurance company is quick in replying. But still nervous about the whole thing. I am hating MDI more than ever. I do my lantus in my thigh and I have a big bruise from one of the injections I did the other day…I should take a pic of it.

Oh that is right, I remember you said it was Joslin, is that what you mean by neighborhood diabetes? So you don’t work through the animas rep? That is why it must be so slow. I just called the animas rep and he contacted the insurance company and my doctor; they even had a person go to the doctor
s office when he was too slow getting the form back. They are motivated to “make it happen” because they get the big bucks!

I’ve been doing this almost 9 years now. It has happened once. I have a friend who has been pumping over 14yrs and it has never happened to her.