Has anyone experienced, over a sustained period of time, a situation where insulin is REALLY unreliable? Over the course of the last month or longer, I feel like I’ve had about a 50/50 chance of my insulin doing much of anything. I use Omnipod and I’ve seen this across 6-7 sites, with different types of insulin (switched between humalog and novolog).
Today has been the perfect example-- I had grilled chicken and lettuce for lunch (practically no carbs) and gave myself 4 units of insulin, which is double what I would have normally used. A couple of hours after the bolus, my blood sugar had shot up by 100mg/dL (!!!). I gave myself another 4 units, and in a bout of rage I jumped on my treadmill and ran a mile and a half, walked another mile, and did 30 pushups in between. This amount of exercise would usually have cratered my numbers with 4 units on board, but I only managed to lower my blood sugar by 60mg/dL. (my normal correction is 1 unit > 30 mg/dL)
I’m really frustrated, and hoping someone has had experienced anything like this. I’ve had incidents like this happen sporadically over the years, but not for such a sustained period of time.