Introducing myself

Hi there, I am Sara Bass, I’m 33 years old and was diagnosed on my 33 birthday with type 2 diabetes… Yeah, Happy Birthday to me, forget the cake! Diabetes, isn’t anything new to my family. My maternal grandfather lived with it for 54 years and was insulin dependent and both legs amputated. My father has diabetes and is suffering from its effects, My uncle also has diabetes. I knew I was at risk, but was hoping that I could put it off. Since being diagnosed though, I’ve gone through many different emotions first thing I felt was denial, then it went from that to fear, anxiety, then depression. Still suffering from depression though. Looking forward to meeting people here and learning from this site.

Hello there Sara =) Welcome to the family! Im a type 2 myself. Also coming from a family of diabetics (both type1 and 2). One thing I learned from my elders… we may have diabetes…we can live a normal healthy and happy life…we can do all things we want. Blood sugar control, diet and exercise are very important to us. By that we can control complications as well. Just take one step at a time…we can do this =) Try empowering yourself with information regarding our condition… Im happy to see you here with us. We would love to listen, help and support you.

Hi Sara and welcome,
I am Type 2 and could just as well written your post. My father,brother, cousin, uncle all or were T-2’s.

We all felt what you are feeling so dont beat yourself up, your one of us and we understand. You will find alot of support here and alot of people that can give you great guidance. In addition you will find some new friends too. Look over the groups too of what might be of interest.

Again welcome, we are glad you said hello!

Hi Sara,

Welcome aboard. The first few steps are a doozy, what you’re feeling is normal.

I’m also a type 2 (diagnosed four months ago), getting over the initial bumps and finding that it’s possible to manage things.

Keep yourself informed and safe. If you need to talk, you know where you can find us.

Welcome to our group, Sara… :slight_smile: You will find a lot of support here, and a lot of answers to your questions. I was only diagnosed on November 17th, about 6 days after my own 33rd birthday! But, most of these folks have lived for years with Diabetes, so they are very knowledgeable, and have been through those emotional roller coasters. There is lots of information here to be looked into, and don’t hesitate to ask… :slight_smile:

Hi Sara, I’d also like to welcome you to the group. This is a great place to get info, ask questions, have a laugh or two, and meet others who have lived through similar situations, different ones, and who can even give a different perspective to things you are struggling with. I was diagnosed 20 years ago at age 28 with type 1, but here many of us experience similar worries, what about what to eat, complications, or why isn’t something I’m doing working. I still struggle, from time to time, from the emotional roller coaster of denial, anger and even just plain weariness (all of which comes back at me from time to time). Take the time to get comfortable with it, because it is with us, and not much we can do about that. But to echo what the others are saying, we can arm ourselves with knowledge and just forge ahead, one day at a time. :slight_smile:

I want to wish you a welcome to this group as well. I am a T2, diagnosed July 19, 2007. This is a wonderful group of people that will be more than willing to give you the support that you need. Never be afraid to ask questions, give your input, whatever. Be prepared to laugh some, cry some, just genuinely have a good time.

Hi Sara. I’m hoping you’ll find our fun and lively community inviting and a cure for depression.