Is Insulet ever coming out with a smaller pod and Dexcom integration?

Sorry it is 34% smaller Pod. The PDM is the same size, model and black. The PDM works the same as the present one. Its has a beter range 7.6 meters (PDM to Pod). No adjustment for other equipment. The release in Europe, The Netherlands, is due in the beginning of October. The first PDM's are already being issued.

http://www.mylife-diabetescare.nl/mylife-omnipod-overzicht.html

Ontdek de niewe Mylife Discover de new Mylife Omnipod.

Has the new, smaller pod been released anywhere else? Europe, Canada, etc?

No not yet. The first country is the Netherlands. Tomorrow I can pick-up my new PDM. Same size, different color (Black), other software. The release of the new Pod is in October.

Wow. The next pictures could be a shock. So please be careful.

Just kidding. It's the new PDM, for second generation Pod’s. It has arrived. The changes are on the inside, except the colour, it's now black.

2559-PDM.jpg (1.11 MB) 2560-PDM1.jpg (1.4 MB)

I was told by an Insulet C/S rep that the smaller pods won't be here until mid 2013! I'm sure next time I call in a bad pod I'll get "By the end of 2013".

I will pick up my PDM this Tuesday. The reason why the PDM is black is because it will look smaller. The pods will be available in October so I will get 10 pods (that is if I run out before the new pods arrive) instead of the usual 30.

We won"t see them in the US until 2014.....

Why you say this, if FDA has got all documentaion fixed a month ago ? Do they need all 2013 to say "OK" ?

What glucose strips work with the new PDM?

Bob,

The new PDM will use the same strips from Freestyle

You got to love the FDA? 2014 if we are lucky.

I suspect we will see it Q1 2013.

Today's FDA approval of Dexcom's G4 is a good news for eventual integration with Omnipod.

In het meantime I picked up the PDM. They say it has now an extended range (I think) 1,7 meters if I remember correctly instead of 60 cm.
And now you have to confirm your name on your PDM in the case you have 2 or more family members with the Omnipod.

I don't know the exact procedure to 'OK' the new Omnipod.

But why does it take so long? And for instance here in the Netherlands (Europe) not?

Ro1987, The FDA has a different set of guidelines than in Europe.

Don, I think it is great news first for the approval of the smaller Pod. Then eventually the integration.

I suspect the FDA will approve the Animas Vibe long before we see integration with the DexCom and OmniPod.

As for the new gen 2 omnipod, a friend of mine shot some photo at EASD 2012 show in berlin last week and posted them in our community site: link

It seems clear from all the postings I have read that the new pods will only work with the new PDM. However, will the original pods work with the new PDM as well as the new smaller pods?

No

No, the new PDM will only work with the smaller Pods. As the communication range of the new PDM to Pod is greater (up to 2 meter) the transmission system has changed. The present Pods have a different transmission system and cannot be primed with the new PDM. Why would you anyway?

Ypsomed (supplier of the Omnipod in the Netherlands) told me the only use of the 'old' PDM is to use it as a spare meter for testing your glucose levels.