Itching - possible neuropathy?

For about a year I have been experiencing an itch on the fore-arch of my left foot. The skin looks normal, and the itch is no better or worse over time. It is not extreme, just like it’s in the background, but a bit more intense if I take my shoe off. I do have good feeling.

I know we sometimes tend to blame every little thing on diabetes. I have rarely had what I assumed was peripheral neuropathy that would show up when my BG was above 140mg/dl. The pain would be on the top of one or two of the middle toes. As soon as BG dropped it would go away.

Generally neuropathy is bilateral so if it’s just one foot, it’s not likely.
You can check your foot to see if you can feel all spots on your foot. U can just touch it in different spots.

Doctors use a little poker but your finger will work the same.

My feet crack because I wear flip flops so much. That can make them itch. So I have em taken care of and pumiced down.

But don’t forget could be fungal infection. If it’s peeling.

1 Like

@Timothy That’s the thing, The skin looks completely healthy. The itch in in the arch so there’s no callouses. I wish the skin on my sun damaged arms looked as good. Thanks anyway for that bit about bilateral.

It’s nothing I can’t live with, and it has not changed in intensity over the year.

I started experiencing persistent itching on the bottoms of my feet >ten years ago, kinda like athlete’s foot but no evidence of having that or anything else. Tried anti-fungals; they didn’t do anything. Mostly I can ignore it but sometimes it’s pretty annoying. I finally happened to mention it to my endo a few years ago and she said it probably was neuropathy. Over the years it has extended to my calves and to some extent my hands—an extremities kinda thing—but mostly just my feet, concentrated around the bottoms of my toes and the pads behind them. Not too terrible as complications go, but annoying and kinda depressing. I don’t have any other complications, which I credited to maintaining tight control, but I guess there are no guarantees.

1 Like

Now that you’re describing these symptoms, it brings to mind similar symptoms I’ve felt at a specific patch above my inner wrists. It appears in a 3-4 inch by 1 inch section along my inner arm bone (ulna?). It’s an intermittent symptom and is not often felt.

I have been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy, mostly in my feet and lower legs. About 10 years ago, during a period of poor glucose control, I felt a loss of sensation in both my lower arms, best described as a glove effect. This symptom disappeared and has not returned at all once I reined in my out-of-control glucose.

Interesting that peripheral neuropathy can present as itching.

2 Likes

I don’t have diabetic neuropathy but have some in my feet and calves due to the side effect of a statin which is known for causing neuropathy.

Anyway on the forum I read, many people with diabetic neuropathy complain about itching.

1 Like

I have a singe spot on one finger that itches and it is insatiable sometimes.
I have a callous on it. It predates my diabetes though.
i have never found a doctor who could figure it out, i just live with it.
maybe I just have a habit of it itching , so it does.

1 Like

Neuropathy is an interesting possibility. I have the same type of itching around both knees and lower thighs. No fungus (been checked several times) and given a generic itch cream which has minimal success. I think based on this thread the next time I will try ice for the itching as that has historically gotten me through neuropathy pain/heat/tingling etc…