I was first diagnosed as a T1 Diabetic in 2006 at age 23 and have been doing MDI up until Feb 2, 2012. I'm on Humalog and Lantus 60 units at bed time before the Pump. When i was on MDI I started out good was getting A1c in the 5.6s and kinda slowly moved up over the years as was in the Mid 7.5's. 7.7 was my highest A1c, I've never was above that. The reason for my increase in A1c 's over the years was I got addicted to World of Warcraft and spent about 60 hours a week on the game over a three year Period. I also was on an Paxil and with those two things i gained about 75 pounds over three years.
Now on to the Pump. I decided to go to and endo doctor after 5 years of staying with my primary doctor which was a mistake. I decided i wanted to go with pump therapy to help control my diabetes and because im really scared of the complications that come with diabetes. I also suffer from dawn phenomenon.
Things I like about pumping so far.
1. Don't have to make up shots.
2. Cured my Dawn Phenomenon.
3. Pump forces you to eat less so i've lost like 20 pounds so far.
Things I don't like.
1. Its always there 24/7. Feels like a prison cell in a small box
2. I'm scared to move or sit because im afraid the canaula will come out.
3. I don't see myself exercising with the pump because of above reason.
4. I really scared that I will Build up Scar tissue on my body and have to go back to shots. Even if you move it around I dont see the body holding up to 20 plus years of the harpoon needle going in and out of your body.
5. Scared of getting KDA.
6. I feel like im running out of spots to put the Mio set after just three weeks.
I'm trying not to give up on it, cause giving something up is the easy way out. Plus if i go back to shots i feel that im letting my Mom down. I don't care what other people think of me But letting my mom down makes me want to get sick.
I need some advice.
To Pump or not to Pump that is the question.