IVF and 40!

Hi there

Yep - 40 years old and about to start IVF. I'm nervous about the process and trying to stay positive. Any words of wisdom? I'm curious what the shots will do to my blood sugar- and a bit worried about the egg retrieval process too. Lots to think about. thanks for listening

Sharon, I am in the same boat, but am not quite to the starting point. Still waiting for my A1c to cooperate! :) What is your A1c right now (if you don't mind sharing)? My endo said (and from what I've read out in blogland), the pre-IVF procedure shots for egg retrieval, etc., probably won't have much effect on blood sugars, but the progesterone supplements in the first 10-12 weeks will probably cause an increase in your insulin needs. Good luck with everything! Keep us posted!

HI Shelbly - thanks for the message. My A1C is 5.9 right now and I have not put in the extra effort to get it down to 5.4 which would be really great. If you ever want to chat - reach out to me [via pm] . Its nice to know someone that is also considering this IVF process! Its a lot of information and is stressful....I'm trying my best to breathe through it! :)

[Moderated to remove private phone information. Please use the private message function to carry on personal conversations or exchange private contact info—thanks!]

Hi Sharon and Shelby,
I see it has been several months since you posted on this topic, but I would love to hear updates about your process if you have any new news! I’m Type 1, about to start stim Feb 5. I’ve been on the birth control for 2 weeks now and I’m noticing a lot of insulin resistance already, so I’m nervous about the IVF meds. Any tips or experiences would be really helpful! Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

I didn’t do IVF, but I did need medication to stimulate ovulation (Letrozole/Femara) and the HCG trigger shot to trigger ovulation. What was said above was true for me, that the progesterone supplements increased my bg pretty much right away. I’m pregnant now (yay!) and you will find that pregnancy in general screws with bg levels. I started with A1C of 5.4, and it’s a lot of work to keep it there. I was managing my T2 with oral meds (glipizide and metformin) as well as diet and exercise. I’ve started insulin already, and my endo thinks my needs will only increase as the pregnancy progresses. Many women, who don’t have D, have issues with insulin (which is why they check everybody for gestational d). Monitor for trends and adjust medication as needed.

Hi Amy,
I am currently 28.5 weeks pregnant after our first successful IVF last summer. :slight_smile: The stims didn’t do anything to my blood sugars, with the exception of one, that I only took for a few days and once a day. It would make me spike just a little bit, but I also had to take it in the morning, when my insulin resistance is the worst anyway, so who knows? Pregnancy has been a challenge with constantly changing needs–more increases than anything. I never had any insulin sensitivity, which most T1 women seem to have, at least during the first trimester. It was resistance from the beginning for me…ugh. I am part of a couple of fantastic FB groups that have been very helpful during my pregnancy and are MUCH more active than this page. If you are interested, send me a PM. Good luck with everything and I hope you have success soon!