Keeping your insulin in your pump from Getting too warm

We are going on vacation to a family reunion and the reunion will be held at a campground. I was wondering how insulin pump users keep there insulin pump from getting too warm on a hot day? I carry my pump in a waist bag. Thinking about having some small freezer packs to fit in my waist bag if it gets too hot. Just wondering what other pump users do?

I got a frio for my pump on hot days. The frio is kept cold by soaking it in cold water. There is a size that fits insulin pumps, others for pens and vials.

1 Like

I have, personally, never had insulin go bad in three days.

2 Likes

We had the AA battery in our Ping go bad from excessive heat. Temps over 100. The insulin was fine once the battery was changed out.

If the pump is taken off at the beach, I would not leave it in the sun but rather put it in a bag or towel over it.
Both to give it shade and so sticky fingers do not walk off with it.
The same as I would do for my cell phone at the beach.

1 Like

I never use any cooling products and I’ve pumped since '96 and spend time in weather up to 110 degrees. I wouldn’t lay out in the sun with the pump exposed directly to the sun–I turn it around on my waistband so that it’s next to my body and the clip is what shows. That’s about the only concession I make to hot weather, for the pump.

1 Like

Same for me. I’m personally more concerned about the pump than the insulin.

1 Like

Just back from three weeks in Borneo, daytime temperature mostly in the 30-35 degrees C (85-95 F) range, with a few days hotter. Slept in aircon rooms most nights, temp set to 25C. My son uses Novorapid in a T-slim pump, and uses each cartridge for about a week (plus or minus a day). He had no problems with insulin going bad.
Spare insulin was kept in a frio cooler during transit, and hotel refrigerator the rest of the time.

1 Like

I live on a farm and use the Frio cooler on my pump when I work outside on hot, sunny days. The pump (and the insulin) get heated up with long exposure to direct sunlight, something that can’t be helped sometimes when building fence or mowing pastures. Covering with clothing does not keep things cool enough and I’ve had the insulin go bad. The Frio does the job of keeping things cool admirably.

2 Likes

If you’re worried about it, I would suggest getting a frio pouch.

In 2016, I rode my bike from Seattle, WA to Mount Dora, FL (near Orlando). Four months, June 21 - October 23. Kansas and Missouri in the summer are wicked hot. I used a frio to store my insulin vials, but had my pump clipped to my belt all day.

Result?

Zero problems with my insulin getting too hot.

Now I did take some precautions like moving my pump to a different spot on my belt if I was in direct sunlight, hiding my pump under a towel tent if I went swimming during the heat of the day, etc.

Have fun!

FWIW, you don’t need cold water. As the water evaporates away from the crystals in the pouch, it creates a cooling effect.

Did I say cold water? Hmmm… Any water will do. But, of course, do not use hot water. :smirk:

I had the mishaps when I used the brush hog and the sun beat directly on the pump. I probably could have avoided the problem by constantly moving the pump from one side of my body to the other as I turned and headed in each direction. But the Frio fixed that admirably!

1 Like

I have never had my insulin go bad in my pump and now twice it’s happened! Tell me about the frio pouch, is this safe for the pump? I have the Minimed 670G. Can you still use a clip or just stick it in a pocket?
Thank you!

https://www.myabetic.com/collections/frio-cooling-pouches/products/frio-duo-cooling-pouch?variant=7088656941105