Kinky problems

UGH the last week has been so stressful… I am 20 weeks along and recently ran out of belly skin for infusion sites, so have moved to my rear end. I also was using a 9mm cannula and have switched to 6mm cannula… I am using the quickset inserter, if that makes a difference.

Anyway, I had my first cannula kink that affected insulin delivery for a site on the upper part of my butt area. I didn’t even know except my blood sugar was running high for 2 days, but I didn’t get a warning from the pump as I was still getting insulin… just a much reduced amount. I figured I was getting sick or my insulin resistance was going up or something. I didn’t know until I woke up high and with ketones, tore the thing out and saw the kink. This is the first time I’ve had this happen to me in 2 1/2 years of being on the pump. Then I put another one in, a few inches over from the first site, also my new 6mm cannula and AGAIN had a kink, except this time I was lucky enough for my pump to give me a warning before going high.

I’ve moved back to the last little patch of loose belly that I have left, which should last me 3 days until I change sites… then what?

Is it the 6mm cannula? Is it being pregnant that causes everything to malfunction? Is it the new infusion site (aren’t butts supposed to be nice and fatty and thus good for infusing?)?

Any more experienced pumpers / pregnant pumpers have any advice?

Are you using a straight cannula or one on a 30 degree angle? I’ve been using my upper butt area since before getting pregnant because my stomach has been too scarred for proper absorbtion. Anyway, I use the Inset 30 infusion sets (I’m on an Animas Ping) and have not had issues with kinking.
I guess my thought is that I can see how if you’re using a straight cannula, with the odd angle you need to twist your body to insert it - even with the quicket, it could kink. Especially if you’re putting it up at the very top part of the butt where it would crease a little when you stand or lay down. I’ve found it works best on me more on my back hip/upper side part of my butt. Just below where the waistband on a pair of hip-hugger underwear sits.
Maybe that’s not really how it works, but I hope some part of my thinking is helpful to you.
:slight_smile:

Oh! One more thought -
If you aren’t already using an angled cannula, maybe that would also give you some more area on your belly? because you wouldn’t need to worry about the depth of the fatty tissue?

Sorry to hear about this! How frustrating!

I used to have this problem with 9mm QuickSets. Switching to 6mm helped me. Before pregnancy, my endo encouraged me to switch to SureT, which cannot kink (a metal infusion set). I love it!! I think that I will stay with it always now. They need to be replaced every 2 days instead of 3, but I just remove it and reinsert it and tape it down (this is possible with a metal infusion set). I like that I can just move my infusion set when I first see a high. I don’t wait to figure out if the high is the infusion set, insulin resistance, or something else!

Call MM or your rep and get a sample of SureT and see if you like it!

For sites, I also like my outer upper thighs and lower back.

Hi- I agree with Rebecca about the angled cannula… worked well for me throughout pregnancy (also with the one touch ping)… I stopped using my belly during the middle of my pregnancy also… but the ‘love handles’ area always worked well… maybe that is worth a try?
:slight_smile: K

Thanks everyone for your advice! I just called medtronic and ordered both the silhouette 6mm infusion sets (with the angled insertion) AND the SureT metal infusion set (that doesn’t kink) so will be trying both. The woman on the phone was actually really helpful (I feel like its hit or miss when I call their customer service line), and said that although my butt might seem really flabby, it might be that I actually was hitting muscle. I think its hilarious… pregnancy is probably the only time in my life when I hear something like “your butt might not have enough flab” and I get upset!

Anyway, thanks again for lending your expertise!

HAHA! Glad that to hear that they were helpful.

What a bummer that your “butt does not have enough flab”!!! :wink: There are two sides to everything!

If MiniMed hasn’t updated their inserter for the sillouettes, I would suggest inserting the sillouette by hand. It will be less traumatic.

I always had trouble with the Quick-sets causing pain or kinking. I’ve been using Silhouettes the about 5 years now and rarely have a problem. But I have to say, I am having trouble finding places to insert my sets. My tummy has become a hard melon and I can barely reach my hips!! I haven’t tried my thighs. I’m thinking about trying under my arms - just had a temporary CGS there (the nurse inserted it) and I barely felt it the entire time!

ANyone else use the back of the arms?

Good luck ladies!