Lactose free milk

I normally eat a bowl of sugarfree puffed wheat with 1 cup of homo milk. This week I bought a carton of Natrel lactose free milk. Usually when I eat a bowl of cereal with the homo milk I get a spike in my bloodsugar. This morning I had a cup of the Natrel and it didn’t happen. I actually had to eat more carbs because I was dropping. I think lactose free milk is what I am going to have for now on. Does anyone else get a spike when drinking milk in the morning?

It makes sense—lactose is a sugar, and regular milk is pretty sugary as a result, if you can digest lactose (and if not, it’s just miserable). So if they are actually removing lactose (vs adding lactase to make it more digestible, like with Lactaid milk), they are removing some of the sugar/carbs from the milk.

I’m lactose intolerant, so I use plant-based milks like almond (unsweetened, so no noticeable effect on blood sugars) or oat (naturally contains sugars from the oats, so definitely need to take insulin to prevent spikes, but the most delicious for coffee IMO).