Least favorite response

I like to tell them “my A1C is probably better than yours” now that it might be.

LOL I think I’ll have to steal that one :slight_smile:

My least favorite response: “You shouldn’t feel that way.” Bite me.

laughing

LOL - Bite me!! That is a keeper and I’m gonna use it from now on!

It helps to have grey hair …I don’t get questions or give responses as expressed here !
Is it called WISDOM or… , ha, ha ??

Another helpful reply, “Hey, you need to lighten up.”

Maybe you need to “darken down”. Did you ever think of that?

Somebody used to say stuff like “That’s a stupid question,” “Those are your little feelings,” “Your feelings are warping reality,” and “Those blonde roots of yours must be messing up your brain.” when I went to them for help because I was being bullied as a child. Most people aren’t that mean to me anymore.

Personally, the way I feel is this: If somebody is being snide, critical or intrusive, I try and just walk away. (don’t always succeed).

If on the other hand, somebody seems to be expressing sincere concern for my well-being, whatever form it comes in, I appreciate it. If they seem ignorant of Diabetes, I’ll educate them briefly if they are an aquaintence, in a little more depth if they are someone close.

They key is being able to discern the difference between the two, that lies behind the words they choose.

I like this =) Id borrow this next time!

Funny, that’s EXACTLY what she said. She also said that she would really struggle with being so restricted on what and when she was able to eat. She was absolutely flabbergasted that I had to have so many “rituals” around my food (i.e., measuring carbs, testing, bolusing, etc). She said that seemed like the worst to her, not just being able to pick up something and pop it in your mouth. She had a point.

That’s a good one!

You mean you don’t walk around saying “bite me” to people, Nel? LOL

Thank goodness, pinkys! That’s awful!

People that know me well know that I definitely have an obsessive side to my personality. (It was worse when I was younger, but definitely is still lurking nearby!). So when they observe my eating behavior they just see it as more of the same. What I’ve stopped trying to explain to them is that this behavior is what is necessary to manage my Diabetes, and I for the first time in my life having an obsessive side (and being good at math) is a useful quality!

When I am low (65-80) people say, well that’s where you’re supposed to be. Umm… no, I feel yucky, dizzy, etc… feed me! haha

Or when people say “you’re doing great”… I still don’t feel awesome all of the time and it’s not easy. sigh

Karen, I wonder why “hang in there” bothers you so much. The speaker is the author of their own intent, but the thing that you would like to hear may simply not occur to them. And yet, they may be TRYING to be compassionate and caring. Much better to appreciate their intent than to focus on their words.

I don’t think anyone can say ANYTHING that will not bother someone, so maybe the goal is to shut up and not say anything?

Yep that one Jeska! I HATE it when someone says that to me!!! Family or not!!!

I am not obese, so I sit there like a planted spy when people get to spouting off about how if the obese would just stop with the Twinkies and get their fat asses to the gym, they would lose weight and become thin like “normal” people. I counter their arguments whenever I can, but as you know, it doesn’t get me very far. Ignorance, in many areas of life, is very persistent and will not acknowledge its own existence. My heart goes out to people who struggle with obesity, and even more for the resistant bias and discrimination they suffer.