Lest We get Cocky About All These Great Recipes We Are Posting

I’ve launched Project Clean Out Old Files. Today I started going through old files of my Mom’s—seemed about time, 5 years after her death. She traded recipes around with all her friends a lot, and she was a contributor to the original Betty Crocker Cookbook back in the 50s. I found this little ditty with some of her old recipes:

SAD RECIPE

I didn’t have potatoes–so I substituted rice.
I didn’t have paprika–so I used another spice.
I didn’t have tomato sauce–I used tomato paste.
A whole can, not a half can–I don’t believe in waste.
A friend gave me the recipe–she said you couldn’t beat it.
There must be something wrong with her–I couldn’t even eat it.

Hah!..Blessings and have fun in your kitchen!..

7 Likes

@Judith_in_Portland,
That is great. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Lol
That is funny
What one likes another doesn’t,

Keep smiling
Be well

1 Like

LOL! This is exactly how I cook, which is one of the reasons I’ve stopped :smile:

3 Likes

I’m constantly modifying recipes I use, my own and from others… I think that is the sign of a good cook/chef- flexibility and spontaneity :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I do the same, @meee, and so does my husband. One learns what will work. But I try not to take myself too seriously about the result—“different strokes, for different folks”…I don’t think my taste buds are necessarily a universal model for human beings…hehe…

1 Like

I usually follow the recipe exactly for the first time. Then I adjust to my(our) liking. I always say that recipes are merely suggestions…savory ones anyway.

Sarah :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

Well said, @curlysarah. I tend to do the same unless I am attempting to adapt an unknown high carb recipe to be lower carb— then I sort of dive in and hope for the best.–hehe–those are the most likely to be not-too-great the first time around. But if it seems to have possibilities, I’ll try again…