Looking for advice, i.e. COVID-19

Hi all! I am type 1, 58 years old, in relatively good health. I work in a large school district and visit classrooms on a daily basis. I work on technology, so I am frequently working with iPads and computers that students are using, sometimes alongside the student. Would it be wise to ask for a change of assignment for a while to keep me out of classrooms? TIA!

I think it’s very likely that classes in your school district will be canceled.

Note that kids seem relatively unaffected by this virus and almost all known deaths or infections, seem to be traceable to meetings and proximity of older people. For example the retirement home in Washington State, or the Biogen conference attendees.

Schools have ALWAYS been a place where people pass along illnesses. If you are worried about it, you might be better off avoiding the school until such time as YOU feel it is safe. One disease that rightful scares everyone (rightfully!) is meningitis! You don’t want to contract that one!! (that has a ~90% mortality rate)

Children may be relatively unaffected by virus symptoms, but they do get infected and pass along the virus to others. I heard one analysis call them “super spreaders.”

Yes, if I were you, I’d do this immediately. Then I’d do everything within your power to bring your blood glucose as close to normal as possible.

1 Like

All 3 of my kids - 2 in college, one in high school - have had their in-person classes canceled.

The college kids are converting to online classes for at least the next several weeks.

I would not be surprised at all, if your job changes to supporting distance learning via technology, after your school district suspends classes.

In my area a handful of high-school and college age kids have indeed tested positive.

And I agree for typical cold or flu that kids at school are how the virus reaches home.

But everything I hear about COVID-19, the known transport vectors are always older people especially at assisted living homes or doing international vacation/international conference/cruise travel.

Well said, Jen!

It’s all about flattening the curve. I think trading some immediate inconvenience for avoiding a much larger threat is one I’m happy to make. For those of us living with a long term chronic health condition, triage is not our friend.

7 Likes

My son unschooled. He didn’t go to school but he taught himself by doing what he was interested in. Passed the GED with very high marks. He is a social adult at work, and has no problem making friends.

I feel bad for kids who have no one at home and no food to eat. Not being in school for awhile could be very difficult for them.

Thank you for this graph Terry, it puts the strategy for defeating this disease into focus.

We cannot stop this infection at this time, there is no immunity in the population, if the virus enters your body you have no way to prevent it from taking hold. This virus has free reign to run rampant in our population, the worse thing will be for it to overwhelm our medical establishment. When that happen the death rate climbs rapidly.

So until there is a vaccine or the virus mutates into a harmless form the strategy is to slow down the infection rate so our hospitals can continue their business of treating all that have need.

3 Likes

My daughter in law said it best. Schools are “ dropping like dominos” . Our schools are closed for 2 weeks. No church until Palm Sunday if possible. Otherwise remotely. Be safe.Nancy50

1 Like

Our colleges have cancelled in person classes (all are being broadcast online). Our teachers (in the metro) are on strike. Legislatures shutting down. All public events are suspended - conferences stopped on order by the state. Company’s are sending people to work remotely from home. Schools are not officially closed, though.

Update: Our schools are shutting down today. Walz says decision to not close school is based on Science | kare11.com

Many of our local schools are closed. Living in a small community no major issues. Still can get TP, no sanitizer. We had a nice walk this morning, met no one. We will go to coffee at McD for now. Only 6 of us. See each other every day, but Sunday. Taking that day by day. Nancy50.

Our favorite fast food place: Popular fast-food restaurant, Chick-Fil-A announced Sunday it will be temporarily closing dining room seating as a precaution to help mitigate the spread of coronavirus.

“As we navigate the evolving impact of coronavirus on our communities, we are temporarily closing our dining room seating to help limit person-to-person contact,” the company announced in a statement on its website. “Some of our restaurants may only offer service through our drive-thrus, while others may be able to offer takeout, delivery or mobile order options.”

The company previously announced that drive-thru guests would not be offered printed menus. They also closed playgrounds to increase sanitation efforts.

“As part of our protocols, our restaurants have heightened their cleaning and disinfecting procedures to maintain a healthy environment for our Guests and Team Members,” the company announced Wednesday. “We’ve instructed anyone who is not feeling well to stay home out of an abundance of caution and self-monitor their symptoms.”

The schools will probably shut down, but until then, wipe off all surfaces on the tablets and laptops with disinfectant before you touch them. Wipe off doorknobs before entering or leaving a room. Wash your hands constantly during school and as soon as you get home.