Low Carb Ice Cream Ideas

With summer coming, I know I am going to want Ice Cream. I have looked at the no sugar ice creams that are available at the stores and I am not impressed. They are way too expensive, too many carbs, and I personally don’t like that much sugar alcohol in one serving (too much gas!!!) I use a blend of sweetners with a smaller amount of sugar alcohol. I have a nice Kitchen Aid Ice Cream maker, so I plan on doing some experimenting. Any Ideas. Most of the Real ingredients in Ice Cream are low carb. I think there are a lot of options if we put our head together!

I’m just starting down the road of lower carb ice cream. I’ve been making gellato for a few months now, it’s my daughters favorite bedtime snack. Have you used coconut milk at all? I’m wondering how it would do…

Garlic Ice Cream is served at the Gilroy Garlic Festival every year. I submitted this low-carb version for those of you who would like to try it but can’t come to the festival. You may also use sweet yellow onions for this if you’re not a garlic fan. Recipe was modified from cdkitchen.com.

Roasted Garlic Ice Cream Recipe
Submitted by: sugar5
Serves/Makes: 8
INGREDIENTS:
5 heads garlic (heads, not cloves)
2 tablespoons butter
1 liter half-and-half cream
equivalent of 1/2 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
PREPARATION:
Roast the heads of garlic: peel off the outer skin but leave cloves intact and attached. Arrange on a double thickness of foil, put about 1/2 tbsp. of butter on top of each, wrap up tightly and bake in a 350-degree oven for an hour.

Cut the tips off the cloves, still attached in the head shape, and squeeze out the roasted garlic puree.

Mix the cream and sugar substitute in a saucepan, heat to the boiling point and pour it over the egg yolks while whisking briskly. Put about a cup of the cream into a blender with the garlic puree and blend for about fifteen seconds to make sure there are no lumps of garlic.

Mix in the rest of the cream, let cool, and use with your favorite ice-cream maker or freeze in the freezer, stirring every 2 hours until frozen.

This recipe is a frozen version of the watermelon pie filling. You may substitute other fruit as desired.

Watermelon Ice Cream
12 oz heavy cream
1 tbsp vanilla
2 packets Stevia
1 package sugar-free jello in apprpriate color, or Knox gelatin (I used strawberry jello since watermelon jello is hard to find)
2 cups mashed watermelon (keep the juice with the pieces of watermelon)
Beat the cream until it resembles cool whip, then stir in everything else. Make sure the watermelon flavor predominates, then freeze in ice cream maker or freezer until it’s ice cream.

I have started using the Chia seed pudding instead of ice cream this summer and Wow, have we enjoyed it. I will use no carb fudge sometimes as a topping. And do it up as a regular sundae. I have found these flavorings. They have no carbs and come in multiple flavors. These really enhance the flavor of the pudding. I sometimes top off a sundae with whipped topping. I hope you enjoy this as much as my children and myself do!

https://www.lorannoils.com/c-12-beverage-ice-cream-flavors.aspx

The Breyer’s Carb Smart Vanilla Ice Cream bars aren’t bad. They clock in at 9g total carbs - 2g fiber, 5g sugars and 2g sugar alcohol. One of the few things with artificial sweeteners that I like. Full of scary ingredients - polydextrose, Sorbitol, Fructose, Glycerine, Sucralose, etc. etc. Probably not an every day food, but ok for me as a once a month treat.

Gerri Posted this awsome recipe and I could not resist putting it in this catagory. Pizzelli's are wonderful with ice cream, and ice cream style desserts!

Gerri Comment by Gerri

No one will guess these are low carb. 7 carbs for the entire recipe! I brought a pile to a friend, a picky foodie friend, & she raved. They melt in your mouth & are so pretty. The raw cookie dough is good, too:)

Recipe is from DarDream's blog.

Recipe below is using a larger pizzelle maker than I have. I get 30+ using the smaller shaped griddle. The combo of Splenda & erythritol is awesome. No artificial after-taste when they're used together. Erythritol is expensive, but only a small amount is needed. It's 70% as sweet as sugar, Sift it with a strainer before using because it tends to clump in the package, or grind to powder in a coffee grinder (takes 2 secs).

Pizzelle maker I have http://www.amazon.com/Cucina-Pro-Pizzelle-Baker/dp/B00387DCUM/ref=s... They also have one that makes larger pizzelle that can be rolled around a dowel, that comes with it, to make cones that can be stuffed all kinds of delish fillings.

Without a pizzelle maker, I'm sure they can be rolled thin between waxed paper & baked on a baking sheet with parchment paper.

PIZZELLE-- makes 16-30, 7 carbs entire recipe
1/2 cup salted butter, melted
1 large egg
1 tablespoon Fiberfit liquid Splenda (ordered from www.netrition.com, very concentrated a bottle lasts a long time)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup powdered erythritol (ordered from netrition.com)
3/4 cup vanilla whey isolate protein powder (if you don't have vanilla flavored, add more vanilla extract)
3/4 cup almond meal
1/4 cup WPI 5000 (wheat isolate protein ordered from netrition.com)
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat the pizzelle baker. Oil it lightly for the first batch only . I use the butter leftover in the pot from melting the 1/2 cup.

Whisk the egg into the melted butter.
Whisk in the Fiberfit.
Whisk in the vanilla.
Whisk in the erythritol.
With a spoon, stir in whey protein, almond meal, WPI & salt.
Let the dough sit for a few minutes to firm up a little. It should be a dough, not a batter.
Roll into balls about 1" or slightly smaller depending on the size of the pizzelle maker.
Put a ball in the center of each pizzelle form in the baker.
Close the lid, lock it, and check the pizzelle after about 20-30 seconds. These cook very quickly; you want them golden, not dark brown.

With a spatula, remove the pizzelle gently to a wire rack to cool. If desired, roll the pizzelle into a cone or cylinder shape or push down into an oiled bowl for a bowl shape. The pizzelle will be soft at first, but will get crisper the longer they cool.

This isn't ice cream at all, but I love blending up a frozen banana. No need to add anything--just cut up a ripe banana, let freeze until hard (I usually have a few in the freezer for smoothies) then blend (or use a food processor). It'll crumble up first, and then turn into a magical, delicious, creamy dessert. I've heard that some people add cocoa or peanut butter, but plain works for me! :)

Sounds Great! I think my kids would like this as well!