Lunch Ideas

I usually go for a left over, however I am sure there are a lot of better ideas out here than that!

Thanks Sunny, I too am a fan of Parchment paper… I use it for a lot of things.

You can’t go wrong with a nice salade composée.

I start with a bag of pre-mixed salad leaves from the supermarket. Then I add sliced tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, onion, radish etc. Plus a big spoon of flax seeds.

On top of that goes a piece of seared or raw salmon. (Or boiled/grilled/poached if you’re not a sushi fan like me.) Or rump steak cooked very rare.

I don’t like salad dressing but I always make a nice sauce to go with the protein. With the fish, I like a tangy Japanese-style sauce with chopped garlic, chopped ginger (both from a jar), rice vinegar, sesame oil and rice wine or ginger wine. With steak, I like a Thai-inspired sauce with fish sauce, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, chili and a little sweetener.

This was really good for lunches in summer!

Lila
I Love the Flax seed idea. I like crunchy things on my salad and I use to eat a cereal called Uncle Sam’s that had whole Flax seeds in it and I thought they were lovely (in fact I think that’s one of the main reasons I kept eating it).
I’ll often have sunflower seeds but this is a nice variation. I could also use this idea with other recipes. Thanks!

Hamburger/Mutli Purpose Low Carb Roll

3 lg eggs
1/8 pinch cream of tarter
3 oz cream cheese
(do not soften)

Seperate the eggs and add cream cheese to the yolks. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients together. In a seperate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until still (if you’re usint the same mixer, mix the whites first and then the yold mix). Using a spatula, gradually fold the egg yold mix into the white mix, careful not to break down the whites. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 mounds. Flatten each mound slightly. Bake about 30 min. (You want them slightly softer, not crumbly). Let cool on the sheet for a few min.s and then remove to a rack and allow them to cool. Store in a loosely open sack and allow to rest on the counter before use (otherwise they might be too moist). Can be frozen.
You can add dry mustard or dill or other seasonings to the yold mixture. If you want more of a sweet taste add a small amount of sweetenter to the yolk mixture.
Net carbs .06g

Quite simple lunches are any of Sunny’s soup recipes with a slice of low carb bread.

If you haven’t had egg for breakfast, 2 poached eggs on a slice of low carb bread is good too.

I sometimes have a tin of sardines or salmon with salad.

I invented low carb egg salad open sandwich today. Chop the egg up with light ricotta cheese instead of mayo. It held the egg together beautifully and I topped the egg with colourful veggies or you could add herbs.

Wow, this looks really delicious! I will keep this in mind if I’m ever serving a bread-like to company. I would usually take the meat filling and eat it on top of salad and sometimes people make silly remarks about ‘how healthy’ it looks. Healthier than a burger bun for sure! But this looks sufficiently ‘unhealthy’ that people won’t pass remarks lol.

Is the cream of tartar absolutely necessary? I don’t have that in my kitchen and would have to buy it specially. Any possible substitute?

Spring Rolls
1/4 cabbage head, grated
1 or 2 carrots, grated
1 green onion, thinly sliced
soy sauce
spring roll wrappers or plain cold omelet

Mix veggies with some soy sauce. Follow directions on wrapper package. Wrap veggies in wrapper or premade omelet. Microwave for 2 minutes or until hot. You may also add meat or shrimp to these.

I think this is the ingredient that makes it puffy. Cream of Tarter is kind of like a baking powder ingredient.
I would pick some up next time. You can get it in the spice section of any grocery store. It is a common ingredient. It can be confusing because we do use a lot of weird ingredients in Low Carb cooking.

Plain Omelet
3 eggs
splash milk
oil or butter for cooking

Beat the eggs and milk in a small bowl. Preheat the oil or butter in a frying pan. Spread the eggs thinly and cook on each side just until set. Use instead of tortillas or wraps for your lunch.

Low ricotta cheese! Great Idea Pastelpainter! Thanks!

Seafood Noodle Soup

6 cups water
12 oz frozen seafood mix
3 cabbage leaves, broken up by hand
3/4 cup dried sweet potato noodles (break noodles into 2 inch pieces first) or other suitably low GI noodles/noodle substitute
1 carrot, grated
3 green onions, sliced
large handful soybean sprouts (may add more and forget the noodles if you want less carbs)
dried seaweed and pepper to taste

Put everything in a pan. Bring to a boil and simmer on low for 30 minutes. Serves 3.

Notes: seafood mix I bought came out rubbery after trying to cook this for so long. Seafood that wasn’t rubbery was shrimp and mussels. You can also shorten the cooking time until the seafood is just cooked. Cooking time depends on what kind of seafood it is. You can also use chicken or regular fish (like catfish, trout, salmon, sardines, tuna, etc) for this.

Deviled Tofu/Egg Salad "Sandwich"

1 package soft tofu, drained or 6 eggs, either scrambled or hard boiled and peeled

2 tbsp mayo (try to find sugar free if you can)

1 tbsp mustard

worcestershire sauce to taste

dash paprika

cheese slices

lettuce or cabbage leaves

With a fork, mash tofu or eggs with mayo, mustard, and worcestershire sauce. Add paprika. To assemble sandwiches, lay 1 leaf flat on plate. Cover the leaf with cheese, then put mixture on cheese, followed by another leaf. Refrigerate leftover mixture. Eat and enjoy!

New Orleans Gumbo Almond Style

Try this almond infused gumbo dish to add a little extra spice to your table. It’s fragrant, colorful and tasty!

Spicy Gumbo created by: Almond Board of California

servings: 4

ingredients:
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (12-ounce) package soy protein sausage or hamburger-style crumbles, or chicken-style tenders
2 tablespoons almond oil or corn oil
1/3 cup almond butter
1/2 cup chopped, natural almonds, roasted*
1/2 cup sliced fresh okra
1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
1/2 cup chopped, seeded tomato
1/2 cup chopped white onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
Salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste
preparation Combine ground red pepper and black pepper in a pie pan. Toss soy crumbles or tenders in this mixture to coat. Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven. Fry crumbles or tenders on medium heat to warm throughout; remove and set aside. Whisk almond butter into remaining oil. Add almonds, okra, peppers, tomato, onion, celery and garlic; stir. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent and other vegetables are soft. Return crumbles or tenders to pot. Stir in vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste. Serve over hot black-eyed peas or white beans.

• To roast slivered, chopped or sliced almonds : Spread in an un-greased baking pan. Place in 350ºF oven and bake 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant; stir once or twice to assure even browning. Note that almonds will continue to roast slightly after removing from oven.

Do you have a Nutrition Count for this? How Low-Carb is it?

Chele

Sorry, I just copied this recipe from a website. Since this recipe was created by the Almond Board of California, there must be some nutrition info available from them (hence the reference). They reduced the carbs by substituting almonds for rice. You may substitute ground turkey for the almond butter and some diced chicken or shrimp for the almonds if you like. You don’t have to serve this over beans, either. It definitely looked like a good idea when I saw it. Just test yourself after eating this to see what it does to your blood sugars to see if it works for your body.

You only need to put the defrosted seafood mix into the soup in the last 10 minutes. Squid or octopus goes tough and rubbery if cooked for more than a minute or two, so I would sift that out and drop it into the soup about 2 mins before the end, test to see if it is cooked properly. Then serve. Sounds good.

Thank You Sunny, I knew it was important. I didn’t know about the vinegar sub, that’s handy to know.
Hugs,
Deb~