Major venting

I hate having this disease… I hate that I can’t be like the other teenagers! I hate that people wonder why I’m leaving the classroom every day just to go check my blood sugar! I just hate that this disease make you so not normal. I wasn’t given a choice in the matter. I didn’t get to choose whether I want to be different or not! I understand that being different is good and that’s what makes you, but I don’t want this type of difference… I just want to be normal for one day, not to check my blood sugar, not to have to give insulin, not to have a giant bulk in my pocket from my pump, not having people ask “what is that”. I just want one normal day where I can just live my life. I have only had this disease for about 2 years know and I’m already hating it. Also when my mom talks to me I feel like all she sees is just my disease. She doesn’t care about anything else, just that I’m alive. I feel like I’m just something she is forced to keep alive, and I don’t know how to cope with that… We literally can’t have one normal conversation unless it has to do with diabetes. When I try to express these feeling to her, I feel like she doesn’t care. She just makes fun of me. It’s making me hurt so much right now. I just don’t know what to do… I know she loves me but she has a funny way of showing it by not showing it at all. Sorry for such a long vent. Just knew that this would be a safe place where I will feel put down more and judged or expressing my feelings.

1 Like

Sup. This is Tiki. I’m 13 and have type 1. And you’re right when you say it sucks. I’ll have it for 2 years in 2 months, and I still hope I just wake up without it one day. But just think that you’re a dia-badass. Like dude, you have a major organ that doesn’t work. That sounds like a zombie to me. Just tell people,“I might eat you later. You’re just gonna have to deal.” Like how cool is that? Also if you have a pump you’re a freaking awesome cyborg, and if you take shots you have a way higher than average pain tolerance. And as for your mom, just ask her to try to look for you under your diabetes, and diabetes is a part of you, you’re not a part of diabetes. Whenever diabetes especially sucks for me, I just am like,“You wanna effin’ go, betes? YOU AINT NOTHIN WITHOUT ME. I MADE YOU, AND I CAN DESTROY YOU.” Stay strong dude. Peace :v:

5 Likes

I have three children with T1D and guarantee every single one of them felt like this as a teenager. I didn’t realize that I was doing the same thing as your mother until my son talked to me one day about how I was making him feel. What helped me the most was him giving me specific suggestions. For example, he told me to ask “how was football practice” rather than “did you go low during practice”, and if he chose to only talk about the awesome tackles he made, I should not follow up with “and how was your blood sugar.” With one of my daughters, she set up a specific time that we would discuss her diabetes. It worked for me because I knew that I would get regular information and it worked for her because outside of that time she didn’t feel like everything was diabetes related. Sometimes it’s hard for us parents to accept that we have to let our kids teach us about the thing they live with every day. We may get the medical part, but only you truly understand the mental and emotional piece.

6 Likes

Hi @annabell123 two years. I have to think of life more than forty years ago to remember freedom from diabetes. Some have no memories. I’ve read the diagnosis is harder on the parent than on the victim. Yeah we people with diabetes share the very same struggle in many ways. My mom told me after several weeks living with diabetes after tuning fifteen that she coukdntvhandle dealing with my diabetes and so I was on my own in dealing with it. In the hospital she had refused to learn how to inject. So I took her statement to me as a matter of course. Recently I read that before disposable syringes giving the shot was an impressive undertaking. It was still taught to the family but mom was right that she didn’t need to learn how. They still taught about u40 insulin even though all insulin had become u100. You took twice as much u40 for the same potency. And earlier concentrations were so weak and contaminated that the shot once a day was enough. If I was your mom I would strive mightely to help you achieve a good attitude. And thenbi guess I’d wish the disease was cheaper.

Hi Annabell,
I am so sorry to see that you are struggling so much! I am eighteen years old and I was diagnosed with diabetes when I was six. The one thing I have found that is most important when it comes to diabetes is your mindset. We all know diabetes stinks, but I try to focus less on the negative things about diabetes and more so on the positive. I think in order to successfully manage diabetes, you need to have a positive mindset. Now this is easier said then done. Sadly, you cannot change the fact that you have diabetes, and sulking over it is not doing any good. You need to make the most of what you have been given and make the most of it. You were given diabetes because you are strong enough to handle diabetes. Not many people could handle what we deal with every single day. You are special for being able to do that. Remember, this is YOUR disease. YOU manage diabetes, not the other way around. YOU are the one in control here. There will be good days and there will be bad days. Even during those bad days though you need to pick your head up and keep on going. Your struggles only make you stronger, Annabell. Diabetes may be a struggle, but you are strong enough to handle it. You are stronger than diabetes. You’ve found the perfect place for a great source of support. Use it to your advantage. This is but an obstacle in your life and these feelings are totally normal. With time, it really does get better. This will all just be normal to you. I know this is not then life you chose, but nobody chose to have diabetes. The best thing you can do is find the positives in the situation and focus on those as opposed to the negative. You are going to feel so much better when you do. Remember, you have this great community of support right here! I promise you it is going to get better. Diabetes is not the end of the world and there is a lot to look forward to. Stay strong and hang in there! :smile:

4 Likes

Hi there. This disease just gets worse. I’m sorry. You gotta be strong-I know you can! I cannot believe the bunch of people who were fighting about oxy and doctors prescribing it. If you have neuropathy use anything that helps. You have diabetes. ItKILLS YOU. So what if you use oxy? Come on!
I’ve had type 1 all my life. It is going yo be ok. This is really hard but you can do it.

Hi again guys. This is likely the last time I post. It is actally making me feel worse. It is great that you understand. I want to than Judith _in Portand, curlysarah, David, John and all the rest who helped me. All i read is how much everyone HATES type 1. I totally agree. I;ve had it almost all my life and now lots of complications. The tech now is way better than when I was akid but I’m done. I DO NOT WANT THis ANYMORE! I am not gonna overdose with insulin. I won’t put anyone thorugh that. I just don’t want to live like this anymore. Don’t really know what to do. This is not depression. I just hate it. I want to lay down and surrender. I’ve been a very tough girl for a long time. Yes, it makes me cry, but I want it to be
over.

Oh My,@joakim haven’t we all felt this way at times. I’m really sorry you are having such a rough time right now. Fortunately we diabetics tend to pull ourselves up by the bootstraps because we are a strong bunch, we must be, look at the battle we wage everyday. I hope you do not make this your last post because the best way to beat this feeling is to discuss it with people that understand.

I say that you are normal, you have normal feelings, normal ambitions, normal desires to be seen the same as everyone else. That makes you in my book to be a normal teenager that just happens to have type 1. Like you said you did not ask for this but you have it and must make the best of it. Because you are surviving in the face of such a formidable foe makes you a survivor, that is a badge you should wear proudly. The world doesn’t have to always know that you have diabetes but hopefully they will always know you as a survivor.

I will also say to you that there is no guilt in diabetes. You did not cause this and should bear no shame. People that do not understand are uninformed and their opinions are something to be dismissed.

3 Likes

@annabell123 and @ joakim, I actually do not hate T1 diabetes. But then, I was diagnosed T1 as an adult.
I just want to say how impressed I am with the wonderful responses and suggestions of the young folks with T1 and also parents of T1s and how you learned to adapt to your kid’s needs.
I hope that annabell and joakim understand that the feelings you have now will pass. They really will. One day you will wake up and realize that you are, after all, in charge of your own health and life and that you can handle it. I won’t give advice as I think you have had plenty from the younger folks here.
Only one thing: Annabell, I don’t know why you have to leave class to check your BG. I have checked mine in my lap sitting in a restaurant many times and no one around me even knew I was doing it, often including those with me at the table. Is it a school requirement? Could it be changed? All you need is a tissue to wrap the strip in and clean off your finger. Or an empty strip container labeled for used strips. Slip it back in your backpack. Possible?

3 Likes

Nellje brought up a good point.

You are entitled to (by virtue of the Americans with Disabilities Act) a 504 Plan which should include your right to test and treat in class, among other rights. If you want more information, please PM me and I’ll be happy to give you some advice. (I just realized that I assumed you are in the United States. If you are not, please disregard this last little bit… But this makes me wonder whether there is like legislation in other countries?)

Hang in there, Anna!

And my daughter, Tikva (Tiki), says hello. She keeps asking me: “How’s that Anna doing?” :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hey I can check my blood sugar in class but it is required for me to record my blood sugar readings in a book for the nurse.

Hey I appreciate it a lot! Tell you daughter that I’m doing fine! Even though I at a low point that seems to be going on forever that I’m okay! I been trying to surround myself with people that don’t just see me for my disease. Ones that don’t really ask questions about it but know enough that if I’m found on the ground they will know what to do. I know that I will get through this I will just have to wait alittle. For know I will be okay! Thanks again! :smile: