Medical Alert

How do people handle this? Bracelets, necklace, nothing? I’m interested in hearing some thoughts on what and how people let others know in case of emergency. I currently don’t have anything other than my supplies to show that I have diabetes.I know this is not the best idea. Any suggestions?

i wear both my bracelet on my right wrist and my cadex watch on my left. one of the things that drives me crazy is the people that don’t identify themselves.

I never go anywhere without my bracelet. How would paramedics handle your case if they found you unconscious? They are trained to look for it. I wouldn’t want them to treat me like a regular patient and start giving me glucose!

I wear nothing :wink:

I started wearing a bracelet when I started driving.

I think that a card in a wallet is a good idea as well-- or write it on the back of your driver’s license. If you were ever found unconsious by a stranger, they might look for some ID.

I wore a bracelet until it broke a couple months ago. This weekend I was traveling outside the country by myself and a felt low and realized that NO ONE would know that I was diabetic. Kind of a scary thought.

Thankfully I found an old medical ID necklace in my purse (a positive side effect of not cleaning my purse very often) and I held that in my hand when I was low and wore it the rest of the weekend.

I think that a bracelet is best, but people do tend to notice it in non-emergency situations. Once I told a friend that I was diabetic and she said, " Oh i knew something was wrong with you because I saw that you had a medical bracelet…" Nice :slight_smile:

I say get a bracelet and a card in the wallet!

Well Mike,

I wear a necklace, an insulin pump, carry glucose tablets and gel, always have my meter with me, and wrote that I am diabetic on the back of my drivers license.

However, I still got arrested for being a public nuisance while I was Christmas shopping (by myself) in a crowded mall and had a low… I started arguing with someone who was ringing me up, about what they had charged me for a particular item (I found out later I was right that they overcharged me); but because I was low, I took it too far.

Mall security called the local police, who came and arrested me for disturbing the public. I was cuffed and dragged to the police car, and just before they threw me in back, they searched me and found all the stuff I had. They gave me the Glucose gel, called the Paramedics and stayed with me until after the Paramedics released me to their custody. Then the officers read me the riot act for not taking care of my diabetes, told me not to go into the mall again, and let me go.

By the way, I got charged for what I bought, but never received the merchandise. The credit card company reimbursed me though (well after Christmas was over).

Just because it isn’t seen right away, you should definitely have something that stays on your person (bracelet or necklace or something) which can identify your condition if (heaven forbid) you are unconscious and get sent to the hospital.

That’s my 2¢.

-Bill

I wear a bracelet. The type of ID you wear is up to you. If you do not want to wear a necklace or bracelet how about a watch that identifies you as a diabetic? My husband can not wear any loose jewelry on him while he is at work.

I remember a program that was run a while back. I don’t know if it is still followed. I believe I received a small clear plastic container with a form to fill out, along with a sticker that alerted paramedics/medical professionals to the fact that you had a medical condition. I believe that the placement of this bottle was to be in the refrigerator on the door, or in the glove box of your car.

The sticker was to be placed on your home window, car window, etc… I am really sorry that I can’t remember the name of this program. Maybe someone else can tell us, or even a pharmacist may know.

When I was a lot younger, I begrudgingly (and only occasionally) wore a medic alert necklace. After the vacuum cleaner ate it I never replaced it. The only times I questioned not having ID were when I made solo driving trips to NC from Michigan. I’m usually around people who know I have diabetes, so I haven’t given it much thought. I’ll probably get something in the near future since I’ll be moving away from my friends and family some time this summer and will feel safer with ID.

I wear a bracelet. The front gives my name and says I have Type 1 Diabetes and use insulin. The back gives the names and phone numbers of my spouse, my endo and my family doctor.

It doesn’t get in the way and it may be very helpful someday.

Terry

I wear a necklace from Medic Alert. It states my medical conditions,member # and a number to call collect. When I called to order one, I advised them I still had my late husbands emblem. They told me I could mail it in and they would re-engrave it. I thought that was so neat. I have a part of him around my neck but with my info.

Take care,

Sandy

I have a 10 karat gold medical bracelet.It is very fashionable.I normally wear it on my right wrist,but I fractured my wrist last weekend and have a brace on it.The bracelet had to come off temporarily.

Check into www.medicalert.org
It is a grea [program, you get a brace;et listing your condions and allergies as well as an id number and medical professional can cal the 800 put your id humber in it adn find out your entired medical history, who your doctor is and who your emergency contact is.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your wrist. Hope you are feeling better, thanks for the input!

I have both a necklace and a bracelet. I wear one or the other depending on my mood. I have listed my major diseases and my allergies to penicillin and foods. I tried to squeeze every bit of info on to them. Aside from that I have a list in my purse of all the medications I am on, amounts and when I take them. Most importantly I have my doctor’s emergency phone/pager number. I think having your doc’s number on your body at all times is very important, and may help from drastic misdiagnoses in an emergency room.

Once in the ER, I was diagnosed with a blood clot in my lungs and given massive amounts of heprin. Even though I knew exactly what was wrong, the ER doc didn’t listen. I had a pulled muscle from coughing so hard due to a plug in my lungs (totally common in people with CF). If I would have had them call my doc’s emergency number, this accident wouldn’t have happened.

Sorry to hear about your ER troubles. Is that what we really pay ER Dr.'s for? To be arrogant? I’m a firm believer that I probably know the most about my body. Otherwise I wouldn’t need to have a GP, Endo., Podietrist, Optometrist, etc. Thanks for the input, I’m actually thinking about getting a Tattoo on the inside of my wrist that says Medical Alert Type 1 Diabetes. It’s permanent just like my diabetes and I’ll never forget it or get caught without it.

If I tattooed my list on my wrist, it would probably go all the way up to my elbow! I’m such a tiny little lady that there isn’t much room on my arm. That would be kind of funny. :slight_smile:

I saw on the TV not long ago an older lady who had tattooed over her heart “DNR”. She wanted to make sure she got her point across in a place the paramedics wouldn’t miss. I think it is a good idea!

I’m going to a Tattoo shop this week, I’ll keep everyone posted! Kind of funny about the list up the arm. lol

I have a tattoo on my left shoulder of a heart and my husbands name on a ribbon. I got it back in 1994. I told the man to make it as small as possible because of the pain. I’m thankful my husband’s name was short - Bob. My husband’s only concern was the placement of it. He didn’t want the tattoo artist seeing certain body parts (LOL). I’m going soon to get my dog’s name, Misty, put underneath it. I had to have her put to sleep last year. I like the idea of DNR over my heart too. I have wondered what if I was in a car wreck and my medic alert necklace got broken and lost along with my purse.

Take care,

Sandy