Medical ID Braclets?

Got a question for you out there…are you wearing any form of medical ID braclets for your Diabetes? At this point in time, I am not, but I know I probably should. I do carry the cards that came with my pump in my purse that say, “Yes, I’m wearing an Insulin pump and the name and # of my Endo.”

It’s so girly, but the braclets I see available just don’t look “good”. I didn’t know if anyone knew of any “updated” medical braclet companies out there on the web. Please share…

I had the same problem. I hated the way traditional medical ID bracelets looked. I even tried making my own. Ultimately, I found an inexpensive solution; Italian Charm Bracelets. You can find them all over the internet by searching for Italian Charms or Italian Charm Bracelet. I have attached a photo. Typically, people will slide the links out and replace them with links that have pictures or words on them. I removed only a couple links and left the others all silver. The link I used to replace the removed links was what they call a SUPERLINK. This is the size of two links. It says “diabetic” on it. www.anniescharmcloset.com is one website that has a good selection. www.northwestcharms.com will personalize superlinks for medical purposes.
9203-italiancharmbracelet.jpg (20 KB)

I was like you. I was too vain to wear most of the stuff that was available, or I couldn’t afford it. After a diligent web search, I finally found one at http://www.hahoriginals.com/ that I like. I actually have received a few compliments on it too. Good luck in your search!

I’ve opted for carrying the card you talk about in my wallet saying in big words: I HAVE DIABETES. I don’t like the bracelets either… would you say the card does the trick??

I didn’t like the ugly medical jewelry either. I used to fight with my mom about it all the time when I was a teenager. We eventually compromised. I got a plain silver circle pendant at Things Remembered, and I had them engrave “diabetic” on both sides of it. It’s on a necklace instead of a bracelet. I’ve had it for about ten years now. It’s probably time to replace it. This time I’m going to add “type 1”. I also carry a card with my doc’s number in my wallet.

I got my daughter (23 months) a very pretty bracelet (which she actually wears as an anklet now) from Lauren’s Hope http://www.laurenshope.com/ . She gets tons of compliments on it; and it is so pretty it has inspired at least one friend to order her own and finally start wearing a medic alert bracelet. Since I’m plugging the company I’ll also tell you that the service was very quick; we had the bracelet three days after ordering it.

My only concern is that people think it is jewlery and don’t see it as a medic alert – but I’m assured by friends and family that medical personal are trained to look for alert jewelry.

I wear a medic alert necklace and have (with a few gaps) since I was diagnosed. People have discussed this through some other forums that I am on (livejournal, insulin pumpers) and the word from the EMT’s seems to be that they don’t always check for them, but if they find someone passed out with no other probable cause, they check blood glucose first anyways. If they do, they are more likely to look for a bracelet than a necklace. Tesney makes an interesting point, that it might not be an EMT that is the first to respond, so I guess it would be good if someone else found you while unconscious and had the presence of mind to check.

I can’t wear bracelets, so I got a necklace from this company.

“My only concern is that people think it is jewlery and don’t see it as a medic alert – but I’m assured by friends and family that medical personal are trained to look for alert jewelry.”

This is precisely the reason I opted for the more traditional approach of a MedicAlert watch.

I wear a Medic-Alert neck-chain… It seems to me that having all the current info about my meds and treatments on file for a medic to get if I am unconscious made sense to me…
Jeff

The endo I saw for the first couple years after I was diagnose was very adamant that I wear some kind of ID. Somehow he could tell when I put a bracelet on just for my visits to him (maybe it was too shiny & new-looking?). So I’ve been wearing a medic alert bracelet or necklace almost since diagnosis. A few years ago, a friend of mine who makes beaded jewelry had a great idea - we removed the ugly silver chain from my medic alert ID and she made me several bracelets with clasps on both ends.

Since bead studios have become so popular, I’m sure you could find one near you and pick out your own beads to make your bracelet from.

I’ll try to remember to take a pic of some of mine and post them on here later tonight so you can see what I did.

I got a medical ID bracelet after my first low blood sugar during a run. I usually only wear it when I workout, and I have a I have diabetes card in my wallet. I didn’t really like what I saw when looking for a bracelet, but I finally found a black leather braided band with the stainless steel ID. It works for me, and I guess it’s good to have.

I just got a beautiful beaded bracelet on ebay. there is a few people on there that make beaded medical bracelets. you can buy different kinds and change the bands. there is a new one in the mail for me right now. I also didnt like the plain medal braceltes. my bracelet is engraved with my name diabetic on insulin check wallet card. in my wallet I have a card that says I am diabetic, it has all my info and meds also a bussiness card for my husband, my DR., and diabetes instructor.

Here are the ones that my friend made for me at the bead studio. The first shows 2 of my bracelets and the other shows the medic alert attached to a bracelet. Like I said before, it shouldn’t be too hard to find a bead studio where you can pick your own beads and have someone show you how to make the bracelets. I have mine so that they wrap around my wrist twice and don’t move around too much.

Thanks for the photo! That is exactly what I was looking for! Appreciate the feedback! Mel

I think the card is a definite and easy step for all of us to make whether it’s in our wallet or purse, but for that one emergency situation I think the medical alert braclet or necklace could save our live.

I know there are a lot of nice bracelets out there. For a long time, I’ve been wearing the simplest 10 to 20 dollar bracelets sold in grocery & drug stores. I usually cut out a few links so it fits closer to my wrist. It stays on my left wrist all the time. It’s helped in a number of severe low blood sugar episodes that I just don’t remember.

Right now, my wallet holds the pretty standard “I have diabetes. I am not intoxicated.” card. I see this card is courtesy of Novo Nordisk.

I wear the standard Medic Alert bracelet - i always have and always will -the only time i ever took it off was my wedding day - i figured everyone there knew - I am not a concealer - i wear my pump on my pocket and dont care who sees it.

I was taught as a child that if you get IV fluids there is almost always sucrose in it - now i dont know if that is true - but i figure - why take any chances.

Medic Alert necklace and my wedding ring. The only jewelry I wear and never take off.

I have a friend who is an EMT and they are not allowed to go through personal belongings. So if all you have is your card in the wallet, or the id on the license, then it won’t do you any good unless they know you. But that may not be the same in every state.