Medtronic 640g - Offical Details and photos

Totally awesome! You are the man.

could someone post links to the reservoirs and tubing as I suspect the pump uses different reservoirs and tubing than what our 5xx pumps use?

1 Like

I had also wondered about that. Now that we can (again) download the PDFs originally attached to this discussion, I looked in the ā€œuserguide1ā€ PDF and found that the 640G uses the same reservoirs as the Medtronic Paradigm pumps and the 530G.

The excerpt below is from the top of page 14 of the 376-640guserguide1.pdf above. I have two unopened boxes of MMT-332A reservoirs sitting about 6 feet to my right so I know they are compatible with the Paradigm 723. :smile:

Reservoirs ā€“ Use only Medtronic reservoirs. For the MMT-1512 pump model, use the MMT-326A, 1.8 ml (180-unit) reservoir.
Look on the back of your pump for your model number.
For the MMT-1712 pump model, use either the MMT-332A, 3.0 ml (300-unit) reservoir or the MMT-326A, 1.8 ml (180-unit) reservoir, depending on your insulin needs.

I had wondered if the 640G only came in one size because I only saw the one picture in all the marketing materials. But the excerpt above also shows that Medtronic is continuing to have two flavors of pump: small reservoir & large reservoir.

1 Like

so i got it today :smile:
nothing big to report yet, but:
same reservoir and set. pump still available in two sizes, the tubing fits on the new pump as it does on the old one.
readability of screen:
AWESOME! had no struggles whatsoever to read it in the bright sun outside. but i cannot say anything about visually impaired people, no idea how they can read it.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s great news. Weā€™ve put up with pump screens unreadable in the sun for decades now. I didnā€™t hink the holdup was engineering issues but cost. Letā€™s hope this influences other pump manufacturers. Are you reading this Animas?

2 Likes

Bright sun no problem with the Snap either! Ah wellā€¦

thanks for the info re the readibility in sunlight. that was my big fearā€“like with my meter and my Note 2ā€“I canā€™t see the meter and can barely see the Note 2ā€™s screen outside. This fall I should be replacing the Note 2 and maybe this year I will update the pump if it hits the US before the end of the year.

like with my meter and my Note 2ā€“I canā€™t see the meter and can barely see the Note 2ā€™s screen outside.

yeah well about the meter. The contour next link that comes with it and serves as a remote and BG meter is horrible to read in the sun :frowning: but i guess, as sad as it sounds, we can be happy with just a readable pumpā€¦ :unamused:

1 Like

So ā€¦ I guess itā€™s too late to throw out all my warnings that the Enlite may not be that much (?) better than what you had before, eh? :flushed: Oh, well.

Hereā€™s what I think I may know from listening to the vlog of ā€œthat guy in the UKā€.

Unless Medtronic has moved faster than I expect them too, the Minimed 640G CGM still uses the same Enlite sensor which is used with the Minimed 530G. Outside the US that is the slightly tweaked/improved (?) ā€œEnhanced Enliteā€.

The biggest change with the 640G CGM is with the transmitter which Medtronic calls the Guardian 2 Link. This newer transmitter is completely incompatible with the older pumps. It can only be used with the 640G. Medtronic in their infernal wisdom moved the connection frequency from the 900MHz band to the 2.4 GHz band. (Ref blog entry: CGM on the 640g: Connectivity)

The range before you get ā€œweak signalā€ or ā€œlost sensorā€ should still be about the same as it was for the MiniLink. Medtronic has increased the amount of buffered sensor readings the Guardian 2 Link will hold. Instead of the 40 minutes worth which the MiniLink buffered, the Guardian 2 holds 10 hours of readings. I guess we take whatever we can get. :no_mouth:

In one of his vlogs, the UK guy claimed that the Guardian 2 also contains some extra ā€œerror detectionā€ or sensor diagnostics. What this actually means I have no idea, but I suppose you ask could ask any Medtronic reps you enounter about this to see if they can tell you anything more specific. What it seemed to boil down to is that you might see more of the ā€œChange Sensor Alertā€ if these diagnostics do exist & they decide your Enlite has gone to wonked out land.

Iā€™ll repeat my usual Enlite recommendations to try to pick an insertion spot where the sensor probe is less likely to be pulled around. Also pay attention to the overtaping to try to ensure the sensor wonā€™t shift.

I try to do this, but sometimes I have better luck than others. The pic below is an example of one of my ā€œless specialā€ efforts at doing this ā€¦ though still not as bad as some other times. :wink:

Interestingly enough, I still managed to drag this one out for the six days with mostly good accuracy. In hindsight this somewhat astounds me. :astonished:

Neat pump @swisschocolate! Iā€™m jealous you live in a civilized country where you can get those goodies. Enlites helped me improve my A1C a couple of ticks. Nothing major but Iā€™m sort of up against diminishing returns. I am always intrigued by the notion of trying a Dex but the hassle to get my hands on one seems to involve some sort of pledge of allegiance to it and I am not nearly in a spot where I want to do that.

1 Like

so far so good :smile:
I cannot tell you anything about the accuracy of the sensor, 24 hrs is not enough to know that. but in the first 24 hrs this sensor has already saved last nightā€™s sleep with 3! suspend before low, and i woke up with a bg of 8 this morning, so quite happy. i must say i had big struggles with the Enlite sensor before, i have never used that one for longer amounts of time, since i did just not trust it enough. but i did decide to give the 640g and guardian 2 a try, since i have heard so many good news from australia and the UK.
i think we also have to know that not even BG meters provide a good accuracy. a 20% marge is quite a lot, so unless we get more accurate meters the sensors canā€™t really improve more.
the pump overall is also quite an improvement with some new features and i find it way more easy to navigate.

Yes, I remember you mentioning that you did not have a good previous experience with the Enlite. I hope this time it continues to go better for you.

What was your training like? Did you learn or cover anything different this time? Did it differ in any way, better or worse, than the previous time?

I assume that since your current sensor was probably inserted during training that it is on your abdomen, yes? That is where I am wearing mine at the moment. I decided I would go with the abdomen again after the probe got kinky again when inserted in my upper thigh. Wish I could figure out where/how to insert on my thigh without that happening. :disappointed:

Yes. Something which I also always reflect on. Still, I also think there is room for the Enlite to be improved, especially at the extremes such as when I go low. I tend to keep my low alarms higher (85 or ? :confused: 4.7 :confused: ? ) than what I would consider an actual hypo level just because I believe the sensor lags my actual BGs more with lows.

Still, one of the potential changes I forgot to consider is that Medtronic may also have changed either their calibration algorithms or how they convert an ISIG into an SG (Sensor Glucose). But thatā€™s only a speculation.

I have not been following your friendā€™s blog, klaeuiblog. Part of the reason for that may be because I have to depend on Google Translate to read it. :wink: Have you gotten any more feedback about the 640G from him?

By the way, can you give a rough guess at translating what the title of his blog, ā€œklaeuiblogā€, means? Google Translate is no help here. :smile:

My wife and I both wear Enlite and experience problematic results during the first 2 days of sensor starts. Then things improve and we generally can go up to 12 days (total) with great accuracy most of the time. Laying against a sensor will drop the ISIG so I keep the low alarm set to a lower level at night than during the day so as not to get false low alarms bugging me when we are trying to sleep.

One thing of note is that when she wears hers on her upper arm, she has accurate numbers on the first day. Iā€™ve yet to try one on my arm.

Do you help her with inserting on her upper arm or is your wife able to do it by herself? If the she does it by herself how the heck does she manage to do that?

Whenever I try to imagine doing that I expect I would have no problem doing the actual insertion. However, I have never been able to see how finishing up the taping, especially the overtape, could ever end well for me. :confounded:

She does it herself and it shocks me. LOL! I couldnā€™t do that. I have a hard enough time getting the overtape installed over the sensors that I place towards the side of my abdomen ( I have had two cervical fusions so its hard to bend my neck to get a good view of what Iā€™m doing during set installs). some of the time i donā€™t bother with the overtapeā€“I use two IV3000ā€™s in addition to overtape anyway.

What was the answer you came up with? Where/how did you find the answer?

the UK Medtronic site!

Well, a rep from Medtronic came to my home, and since i both got a sensor for the first time plus the new pump, she assumed it would take about 3 hrs. but we got it done in 2. :smile: so at first she showed me the sensor, i could insert an expired one in a dummy, and then we did it on me. the rep was actually pretty open to other spots like leg or arm, but since i am pretty lean and my endo suggested for the fatty tissue i went for abdomen, just to start with it. i will defo try out arm later, i loved wearing both omnipod and dex sensor there back when i was trying them out.

then we went on to the pump, she explained me all the features, and i had to learn some new stuff. since all looks different and they have new functions which i had to decide whether to use or not.
i must say, apart from the whole new guardian system i love how you can customize this pump way more accurate than ever before. the training all in all was awesome, but i must say medtronic switzerland has always done excellent in that area.

yeah i think they changed algorithms because my pump rep repeated quite a few times how much more accurate this new sensor (respectively the transmitter) is.

my pump rep has actually adviced me to put my low alarm to 3.4 (61) because the pump starts to suspend insulin as soon as it thinks that you enter 1.1mmol/l within that range in the next 30 minutes. so if i had it higher my basal would already stop if i were entering towards 5.8, which is a bit high, lol
but i guess you can only do this with the new system :wink:

klaeui is his last name, lol. its that easy. but i havent communicated recently with him, i have exams in the following weeks so i kinda shut down my social network to uni friends, lol

US reps canā€™t give advice to install anywhere but the abdomen, at this time. Because their calls are recorded, they have to adhere to FDA regulations, and the local rep will not officially advocate using arms. Of course, they know that people in the US do itā€“they just donā€™t suggest doing so.

Can u turn off the suspend feature? I donā€™t have mine ON because at night itā€™s common to get false low readings from the Enlite.