Medtronic "recalls" 600 series pumps

For those that have not already seen it on the news, Medtronic and the FDA have done a “recall” on the 600 series pumps. This isn’t the “OMG I have to.mail my pump back” kind if recall, it’s more of an “gosh golly this might happen, so watch out” kind of recall.

The official Medtronic letter is attached for those affected.

1 Like

It might be easier to just start a list of Medtronic pump’s that have NOT been recalled. I’m starting to have trouble keeping track.

5 Likes

a button is stuck in a pressed position, after three (3) minutes a “Stuck Button” alarm is triggered which suspends insulin delivery (including basal). You may not be able to clear the alarm as the keypad is unresponsive. In the rare situation where this continues for more than ten (10) minutes, the pump will begin to siren.

I am flying to Florida next month. Can’t wait for the white plane passenger to call in a terror threat about the brown guy with the little box that keeps beeping.

2 Likes

ooooh, that always worries me. I’m afraid to throw malfunctioning Omnipods into trashcans, lest somebody calls in a bomb threat. I throw them out the car window on the highway. A couple of times I got some kid who played baseball to throw it up on the roof. I don’t know what you do with a MT pump in that situation.

1 Like

@mohe0001 here is a video on how to disarm a screaming pod…

2 Likes

Thanks, El_Ver. I have taken to throwing old PODs at passing vehicles that tailgate me. Street justice.

1 Like

@mohe0001 true…street justice it is…and littering and dangerous for the person who has to pick it up, yes? I definitely understand the sentiment though.

1 Like

Traffic has become terrifying with the summer months. I suspect that people are operating cars with the mindset that they are operating a cell phone. I think they forget that there are physical consequences. Last night, I honestly saw four cars, operating like a pack of wolves, to intentionally barricade another car in between them, while driving down the road. That guy must have done something nuts. I’ve never seen such a thing before. Its super dangerous out there. be careful. I try to stay off the main roads.

1 Like

We should note that this information is not new. The Medtronic notification is date stamped 9/2/2018.

2 Likes

Good point, but it’s still relevant this time of year when people are traveling because of how they say it is caused. After reading the alert, the takeaways seem to be:

• The main cause of stuck-button appears to be rapid changes in air pressure (most likely because of air travel).
  • Mostly the problem clears itself within a few minutes
  • If it doesn’t clear in ten minutes, it will sound an alert
  • To stop the alert, just loosen and retighten the battery cap (preferable to throwing the pump out the window IMO but YDMV).
  • The pump may not allow restarting if the battery is too low, so always have a fresh battery along (good idea to do this anyway).
1 Like

@mohe0001 when I drove commercially we would do that to drunk drivers in the wee hours of the day and “help them” off the road. Not legal, but safer for everyone.

OMG! Really!!! Truckers are crazy !!! Your so funny. Hahahhahahaha

Models that have been recalled, with the software version in parenthesis:

• MiniMed 508 (All versions)
  • MiniMed Paradigm 511 (All versions)
  • MiniMed Paradigm 512/712 (All versions)
  • MiniMed Paradigm 515/715 (All versions)
  • MiniMed Paradigm 522/722 (All versions)
  • MiniMed Paradigm 522K/722K (All versions)
  • MiniMed Paradigm 523/723 (Version 2.4A or lower)
  • MiniMed Paradigm 523K/723K (Version 2.4A or lower)
  • MiniMed Paradigm 712E* (All versions)
  • MiniMed Paradigm Veo 554CM/754CM* (Version 2.7A or lower)
  • MiniMed Paradigm Veo 554/754* (Version 2.6A or lower)

https://www.myhealthyclick.com/medtronic-recalls-insulin-pumps-as-they-could-be-hacked/

I called Medtronic about my 670g recall. They denied it was recalled and would not do anything about it. Medtronic is getting worse with their customer support.

The “recall” on the 600 series is really only an advisory notice.

This is bad news. Remote attack vector

I believe 670 was not recalled under the high risk threat warning by the FDA. It has the sticky button issue, not the remote attack issue. If you have sticky buttons and they are not replacing it, then I would contact them here. Its in the letter than El_Ver posted:

You can report a concern to the FDA’s MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program, online at:
http://www.fda.gov/safety/medwatch/howtoreport/
Report by telephone: 1-800-FDA-1088/Fax report: 1-800-FDA-0178.

Here is link that includes notice from FDA and Medtronics (for 508).

I have not received direct letter from medtronic for the impacted 522 pump I had 12 years ago.

Recall

1 Like