MiniMed Connect

Anyone using MiniMed Connect? MM sent an email saying on Cyber Monday ONLY they’re offering the MM Connect half price. Just wondering how you like it and if it’s worth buying out of pocket?

I am waiting for the android version to come out but I totally plan on getting it. My friend is demoing a dexcom with her medtronic pump and showed me how she can display it on her iphone and it was pretty cool. I always have my phone within reach and am always looking at my cgm numbers so I am really anxious to get it.

Thanks Lori

I don’t have either a smart phone or potentially remote friends or family who might be interested in monitoring my Enlite SG (Sensor Glucose) results online. However, even if I did I am not sure I would be interested in the MiniMed Connect.

My impression from looking at the marketing pics is that it is an attempt to come up with a “quick 'n dirty” response to Dexcom’s much more tightly integrated hardware. My understanding is that MiniMed Connect will only work with a MiniMed Paradigm® Revel or MiniMed® 530G pump or later (e.g. 640G).

Here are some speculations on my part to possibly think about. The radio connection between the pump and the MiniMed Connect dongle seems to be potentially the weakest link. The same radio freq connection which the pump uses to communicate with the Contour Next Link BG meter is probably what is used. Using that transmitter all the time will probably eat away even more quickly at the lifetime of the pump’s battery. And my guess is that when the pump issues a Low Battery Alert, then MiniMed Connect is one of the things which will be turned off to save power until the battery is replaced. :scream_cat:

Maybe Medtronic will surprise us and it will turn out to be a wonderful new capability to add to one of their pumps. But until someone convinces me otherwise, I’m going to continue to think it looks a bit half-assed to me. :disappointed:

I would love to have it so I can get a better screen view. Just thinking whoever I choose to let watch the data might get annoying at times. Of course I would want them to call or text if I’m not responding to the alerts but, it’s my guess they will see a high or low and nag me. Thanks for your input @irrational_John!

Hope the android version comes out soon for you @Lori31. Let me know how you like it when you get it.

I don’t use MM. My Dex G4 Share permits remote sharing with others. I don’t know anyone in my life that would help me in an informed well-calibrated way. That would take a lot of time and education that even my closest friends and relatives would not likely volunteer for.

I don’t think the average non-diabetic realizes the dozens of decisions that we make every day. For the uninitiated, I think following my CGM lines would make them a nervous wreck! Not only would they be on edge watching what they may think is abnormal, but they’d also be struggling with the extra layer of social complication, wondering what action would be appropriate and when.

I’m sure I could educate someone but it would take someone really invested in the task and committed to the long haul. What average person wants that kind of consequential and demanding part-time, yet all-day every-day, job?

For the time being, I prefer to fly solo.

The only person I’d trust would be my husband in any emergency situation. If it weren’t for him I would probably go solo, too! Thanks for your input @Terry4k