Minimed Mio Advanced availability?

I’ve been getting these new infusion sets for the last 6 months or so and very much prefer them to the standard Mio’s. The inserter is faster and a lot less painful than the old ones. I use Edgepark, and they’ve just informed me they’re switching me back to the old ones due to availability and to avoid delays. Dang! Has anyone else run into this? Is there a different DME suppliers who does have access to them?

1 Like

@DrBB, I’ve had the same delay message from CCS. I believe it is a manufacturing/ transportation issue and not a supplier issue. Could be that they are manufactured in China or elsewhere in Asia. Don’t know for sure but the delay in availability covers pretty much all insets no matter which pump they are for. I am lengthening the time between changes even though I risk allergic flareups. I sure wish all this stuff were manufactured in the U.S.

1 Like

It appears unomedical (who mfg infusion set) is now ConvaTec, and may be causing some disruptions.

I have received this notice from Medtronic.

rick

Note: I am a Medtronic ambassador. My opinions are my own. They did not pay me to say nice things. OK, they sent me a shirt and a cup but even I am more expensive than that.

1 Like

Edgepark silently switched me over to the Advance ones earlier this year and at first I was a little miffed, but rapidly discovered I liked them a lot. The regular Mios have a spring-loaded applicator that delivers a real hard thwack! that can be quite painful. The new ones are much easier and rarely hurt. Sucks if they’re not going to be available for a while.

1 Like

Medtronic had its direct clients select a backup set in place of the mio advanced. The idea being that is advanced mio were available it would be shipped but if not the backup would be shipped.

rick

Note: I am a Medtronic ambassador. My opinions are my own. They did not pay me to say nice things. OK, they sent me a shirt and a cup but even I am more expensive than that.

This is a worldwide problem. I’m in Europe and the Mio Advance isn’t available here either. I was switched back to the old Mio about 2 months ago.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, that adds perspective. And welcome back–haven’t seen much of you recently.

1 Like

I’m not due to reorder until October. Hoping the supply chain issue will have cleared by then.

DrBB, it seems unlikely that the supply chain will normalize until around January 1 of 2022.

rick

2 Likes

Too bad, I like this infusion set.

1 Like

I got notified today that the Mio Advance infusion sets are available again.

1 Like

Alright !!1!!!

1 Like

I gotta say, I have my gripes about all things Medtronic, but the Advance insertion gadget totally won me over. I was having a LOT of painful, failed insertions in certain areas that I’ve relied on for ages in my site-rotation sequence. Got to be a thing where I’d flinch from having to use my upper thighs because that spring-loaded thwack! had gotten to be so painful and resulted in bleeders half the time, while the Advance ones hardly bother me at all. Unfortunately I got my 3-month scrip filled in September with the old-style ones. I would have held out with the Advance ones I have if I’d known how soon they’d be available again, but I’d heard it might not be until after the new year. Oops. Yesterday I actually went ahead and bought a box of Advance ones OTC, that’s how much I prefer them to the old ones.

FYI, I read that the original style ones were officially discontinued as of Feb. 2021, but obviously they were still available during this outage. When I looked at my Edgepark account it was still showing the old-style ones in my standing order, so I contacted them to make sure they manually switched it to Advance, as that hadn’t yet occurred automatically. “Trust but verify” as they say.

1 Like

Given that the infusion sets all come from the same place, I wonder if this means the supply issue with Tandem’s Autosoft XC sets has also been resolved. My third shipment just came in which they substituted the awful Autosoft:90s instead, and they make me want to cry. I don’t understand why they continue to make the Autosoft:90, when the XCs are nearly identical but superior where they differ.

1 Like

I hope so too. My next order is end of Dec. But have 3 months of autosoft 90s that I don’t like. It is harder for me to disconnect and connect them.

I could never stand the spring loaded infusion sets.
I put mine in manually and I almost never have a problem.

I use the ones where you can see what you are doing and you can see the cannula once it’s in.