More about the Diabetes Search Engine

I’ve spent the last few days refining the Diabetes Search Engine.

This evening I was able to create a Google gadget for it. This allows you to place it on your Google custom homepage, or your blog, or your Google desktop. Here’s what it looks like:

If you’d like to use it, start by going to the Google Add Gadget page. You can specify a width and height for the gadget (minimum is 280 and 170 respectively). Then click on a radio button to choose the border you’d like to see.

If you want to add it to your Google homepage, click on the +Google button directly below the search box itself. And if you’d like to add it to your web site or blog, click on Get the Code and copy the piece of code into your HTML file or blog template.

I’ve tried to create a really useful search engine. Currently it has over 310 sites that are directly related to diabetes. These include: blogs; hospital; drug companies; device companies; government organization; and others. This is still a work in progress, so I will be adding or removing sites over the next few weeks.

Also, you should know that the advertisements mean that I make a small amount of money when you use the engine. To date I’ve ‘made’ $0.81 - about the cost of one test strip!

I will use the advertisement income from now until September to support my diabetes bike ride. After that, I’ll figure out some way to use this income to support diabetes care or research. It’s not going into my pocket.