My diabetes bag

I’ve seen a few vlogs (video blogs) lately where people describe the contents of their bags, itemising the necessary, and unnecessary, things they carry around with them every day in order to be prepared for every eventuality. Well, as I have a face for radio and a voice for email, I decided it would be kinder to describe my bag’s contents in the form of a poem, so here it is…

My right shoulder sags from the weight of my bag,
Hunched and contorted like an old wizened hag,
For it’s filled with the gubbins and sundry detritus
That accompany the treatment of diabetes mellitus.
Oodles of needle tips, both new and used,
A litter-strewn wasteland that cannot be excused,
Tear-offs and needle caps, those small plastic bits
That cover the pointy part that goes into my hips,
There for emergencies, ten jelly babies,
Test strips as bloody as the rivers of Hades,
A wallet, my credit cards, a blood testing diary,
A packet of dextrose that is well-past expiry,
Pens for my insulin, both slow and fast,
Without them my next meal may well be my last,
Drugs for a headache, tickets and keys,
A small wad of tissues in case I should sneeze,
Lancets and cereal bars, a small book to read,
A prescription for pills that I no longer need,
My bag could be emptied of half of this stuff,
So I think it is time that enough is enough!
Out with the rubbish and clinical waste,
Out with the dextrose – I don’t like the taste!
Without all this in it my bag will be light,
Do you think I should do it? I think that I might!

1 Like

Yep… Know that feeling… My back feels like it’s sprained from all the stuff… Love your poem !! Great visual, and I did check my bag… yep t looks just like yours, no it doesn’t get lighter !!

Great poem Alan. Unique and very entertaining! Your bag does carry all exept the kitchen sink. Maybe if you will have the space you might be carrying it too, LOL. I have my own “Diabetes Pouch”. It does not carry as much as yours but it does have everything I need everytime Im out.

Awesome! I enjoyed that. I’m a language arts teacher - I give you an A+!! My bag is called “the blue bag”. All my students are trained to recognize it and bring it to me if I need it. The outside of the bag is just as ‘busy’ as the inside because life needs to be fun. I need to post mine, too!

Have a great day!

I loved it, my husband did too, he said it sounded exactly like my pocket book with all my used test strips and who knows what.