My first indulgence since Dx

sigh. I miss deepdish. good on you for holding at three and doing a good job w/ your #'s

Hi John Brush, I’ll take that almost new box of cereal. I frequently eat Kellogg’s Special K Protein Plus for breakfast. You posted in part that you “had one cup of it, and in an hour, had gone up over 50 points.” (My emphasis.)

A serving size of Special K Protein Plus is 3/4 cup (14g carb). How much milk did you have with your cereal? A quart? (A serving size of milk is 1/2 cup (6g carb).) None? Because maybe the milk caused the spike and not the cereal. Or else, perhaps your liver dumped after testing your bs.

So before you give away the box, try 3/4 cup cereal with a serving or less of milk. Also, if I’m late eating breakfast–that is, after 7:45AM, my liver dumps.

Hi Lucile,

A cup would be 17.5 carbs. A quart of milk? :slight_smile: No, more like 1/4 cup of non fat milk which is less than 6 carbs although I cannot find the exact number for a non-fat 1/4 cup.

I am still learning to read the labels, and claims 14g of carbs, and 5g of fiber, so maybe its 9carbs, but I don’t grasp what the ‘other carbs’ listing implies. Its is 7g. I guess those, plus the 2g of sugars is just a bad combo for me I can eat it later in the day, but I am still looking for an easy breakfast, that doesn’t take long to prepare. Not a morning person to begin with, and toss in having to cook breakfast, and its a crappy way to start the day, for me anyway

I haven’t gone to the effort of figuring out when my liver does its thing. Guess I should do some testing. When I eat breakfast, as with this cereal, my numbers are about 87-90.

Thanks for the help,

John

There’s a site (can’t find it now) for checking hidden carbs. Google “hidden carbs” & it should come up.

Unsweetened almond milk is a low carb alternative. I also use heavy cream with water added. Milk sends me soaring. Non-fat milk has more carbs than reg milk, though I don’t know the carb count.

Hi Gerri,

Thanks for stimulating some thought.I will never drink almond milk, or heavy cream for breakfast cereal, but never say never, as I am fortunate to have pretty good numbers and control. This of course, may change at any time, so I keep it in mind :slight_smile:

Near as I can find, all milk has about 12 carbs in a cup. Somehow, when I started this diabetes diet, I searched milk and came away with non-fat being lower than others, but I see now I was wrong. Maybe I got mixed up with the weight loss, and the low carb issues and so I ended up with non-fat.

Since I don’t eat cereal, nor am I any kind of baker or fancy food preparer, the only time I use milk is in the lowfat, sugar free pudding I eat for my chocolate cravings. Interestingly, I can eat a serving of that, and my numbers don’t even move, so it never ceases to amaze how foods interact, and how our bodies deal with things so differently.

This is why I am at war with my doctor over strips. Doctors think only T1 and insulin using T2’s need them to know when to balance their system based on what they eat, but T2’s also need them, for just such things as this, or else we will go about eating foods that spike us, and we would never know.

Thanks for bringing this up. I always appreciate being shown where I may be wrong, and that some things I take for granted, I ought not do.

John

The general guideline I use is the higher the fat content, the lower the carbs.

Have you ever tried almond milk? Unsweetened almond milk, if you like it, is 2 or 3 carbs per 8 oz.

Agree 100% about the strip situation. Ludicrous to be warring with a doc over this!