My legs ache since my last workout

I am a 61 yo type 1 female.Two weeks ago tomorrow I walked/ran on the treadmill for an hour. I didn’t warm up before or after, and my treadmill workouts have been hit or miss. The next day I was limping and I have not used the treadmill since. My legs still ache to the point that I have been using Ibuprofen to sleep at night. My legs did not ache before the workout, so I am assuming the workout is the reason for them aching now. I am drinking more water in case I’m dehydrated. Any thoughts/suggestions?

calcium and stretching.

I take a calcium supplement every day. I’ll try stretching, thanks

Which part of your legs? I have, at various times, rolled ankles (since 1984!), torn hamstring, shin splints (not any more…), muscle soreness, a wierd “bone bruise” (my dx, not the doctor’s…) from falling into our elliptical (off of the treadmill…) in February, etc. Lots of stiff and sore muscles too? Cramps as well. Some plantar issues too.

How old are your shoes? When I started running, I was using the 275 lb acidrock “walking around the neighborhood” shoes that were about 2 years old and had been walked in. 230 lb acidrock ran 4 miles but got brutal shin splints. I went to a running shoe store, ran for them on the treadmille and tried different combos of shoes, one on each foot, until I found the most comfortable pair and went with those. If you have a running store somewhere near you, I would HIGHLY recommend doing this? The right shoes can make a huge difference and that’s the best way to find them I think?

You may also be interested in finding a copy of “Chi Running”, that advocates a forward leaning, smoother style of running that I have found helpful for all of the above? I think the author also wrote a walking book but I haven’t read that. I’ve also found this to be faster, now that I have the hang of it, it may just be that I’m not jarring myself as much and can pick up the pace a bit?

Re dehydration, I usually bring 2x bottles, one 8 oz/ w/ 45 G of Gatorade that I mix myself as it’s cheaper and easier to be precise. That’s the fuel/ “in case of emergency, break glass” bottle. I used to just bring water in the other one but I ran on some 97 degree days recently and tried tossing in about 10G of GA, not a huge dose in terms of glucose but the stuff in the gatorade seemed to quench* my thirst a lot more and I’ve switched to that combo of bottles. If you are dehydrated, there are some other products that have lower glucose products that have vitamins, etc. to help keep you hydrated.

Good luck and good job getting going!! If you are just starting on the treadmill, an hour might be pushing it too? Maybe cut back, try 1/2 hour sessions for a couple of weeks? I also find going outside much less jarring and painful than the treadmill and will run outside through most of the winter, unless there is 2’ of snow, like there was for about a month this year.

AR, thanks for your input, I know you’re a runner. The shoes that I use on the treadmill are Nike Bowerman, my newest sneakers that I got at Dick’s Sporting Goods and I only use them on the treadmill. My doctor told me to walk on the treadmill every day after dinner, because my blood sugars are highest after dinner. I do think an hour was pushing it too much. I have never had this happen before, but -I’m past 60 now-guess that means i have to slow down, I’ve had the treadmill for a few years, but am not consistent in using it. And I don’t bounce back like I used to. I think I’ll start again tomorrow, but only do 1/2 hour at a slower pace, like my dr. suggested.

Hmmm, I am a bit of a shoe-whore so MrsAcidRock would probably roll her eyes at anyone taking shoe advice from me but I would suggest going to a specialty running store that provides assistance with finding the right shoe for you? I have gotten shoes at Dick’s before too (and everywhere else…) but firmly believe that a running shoe store will provide useful assistance. I will blow 30-45 minutes trying on different shoes, comparing them both to other new shoes and my current faves to find the ones that work the best? I get new shoes every 3-4 months (250-300 miles or so…) and the store I go to has taken shoes back after I’ve run in them when they didn’t work out or were 1/2 size off or whatever. I don’t mind paying $10 more than Dick’s w/ that sort of service?

There are a bunch of different styles of shoes with different levels of support, different levels of control and other things that will help you get the best walk possible out of your walk. And, if after all that, the Bowerman is the winner, most of them will usually be cool about you taking your shoes and leaving!

If you are not used to exercise, I have to agree with Acid, an hour may have been too much. What you describe may simply be a classic strain injury. I think starting out at smaller intervals and then working out is a good idea. You might even want to start with 15 minute sessions and then see how you feel.

Is the pain in your joints or muscles?

Mostly my muscles; however, I’m not able to do deep knee bends either.

I actually get this problem a lot, because I inherited my family’s awful stiff knees. If I don’t warm up properly, or I take a long break from exercising and suddenly start up again, it hurts to even move for days after no matter how many pain killers I take. The last time it happened even just looking at my legs the wrong way made them hurt.

If at all possible, try working out in a warm room. The heat helps loosen your muscles. I also do a very light yoga work out before I do the more heavy cardio or running. I don’t mean the type of yoga where you’re twisting in unnatural (read: dangerous) positions, but a short beginner type thing where it mostly only counts as a good stretch. I’ve been doing it for years, so I can’t recommend any if you’re a beginner, but they do have yoga work outs that are good despite fitness level or age. It’s a great thing to have in your work out routine if you’re prone to stiffness or pain like I am. I had this happen just a few days before when I decided jumping back into my work out after a two month lull was a great idea. The pain lasted a week, but after a good stretch in a warm room the pain had subsided and the next day was gone completely. Maybe the same thing will work for you.

It’s not surprising that you’d experience some achiness after irregular exercise. Two weeks seems a long time, though, as does persistent pain into the evening, so I would see my doctor, who may refer you elsewhere. I’d refer you to a masseuse.

Before starting into Chi Running or Chi Walking, which are good programs, I think you should build up a base of regular walking and exercise. One hour is a long session for starting out a new program.

If you’re just getting back into exercising, start slowly, and keep your walk to 10 to 15 minutes per session. A little stretching before and afterwards (as Winter says, above) and during the day should help also. Gradually add speed or time, no more than a 10% increase every other week.

Please don’t let this minor set back stop you from getting back on the treadmill or walking around the block. You don’t have to become a marathoner, but you do have to keep moving.

Keep up the good work,

Terry

Sounds good. I felt great while I was doing the workout and was so proud of myself for not getting worn down. But the next day it hurt to walk. We took my husband’s 90 yo aunt to lunch, and I had a hard time keeping up with her. Sounds like I strained my muscles in my legs.

Have you had your Vitamin D and thyroid levels checked recently? Deficiencies in either can cause leg pain.

Interesting, I didn’t know that.

I take 5-7 thousand IU vitamin D supplements every day, and tested at the low end of acceptable. TSH came in at 2.27, acceptable.

Yes my legs are very stiff, it’s hard for me to go up or down stairs. I’ve thought of trying yoga before, I’ve never done it so I would need to take classes, I think.

Terry, a massage sounds wonderful.
I do want to get back on the treadmill, but i think I’ll take it slower.

Thanks AR and Jackie for your shoe recommendations. I’ll start looking for a good shoe store.

One other thing I wanted to add is that in my shoe-buying experiences, it seems like the categories of shoes are very broad and, while the store may have like 10 or 20 different shoes in the “support” or “flexibility” category, I have found there’s always a shoe or two that stand out and that it’s good to narrow the field and retest the ones you like, against each other? It may not be the most expensive one that stands out but if one is $10 more or hideous looking but is more comfortable, definitely consider it. My current favorite running shoes, hands down, like the other ones aren’t even close, are fairly silly looking, to the point where I wouldn’t wear them anywhere but running?

So when I buy shoes, I try them on, and walk around the shoe dept. to see if they are comfortable. What more should i be doing? Anything specific I should look for in a walking/running shoe? On the treadmill I do intervals of walking/running, which amounts to 30 seconds of running at level 4 and then 2 1/5 minutes of walking at level 2.5. I wouldn’t buy shoes if they weren’t “comfortable” while walking around the store, but am i missing anything? And would I be getting as much benefit from just walking on the treadmill, as opposed to intervals?

I try putting different shoes on each foot to compare them better? Usually, at that sort of place, they’ll watch how you walk to find out which sort of shoes to aim for, and then you try them on. In my experience they usually all feel good, as they are new, but once I hit the treadmill, I can perceive the small differences that help pick the winner, particularly with different shoes on each foot? I do short intervals w/ the shoes too, to push them and see if there’s any difference with “transition”, or how my foot rolls from rear to front? I mostly try to run on the front or midfoot but for trying them out, if I find a smoother transition, I look at it as a good thing if I miss a step here and there during a long run.

I am looking to feel a smooth as possibe to minimize jarring. I am still not 100% sure what’s ailing you but being smoother helps me a lot both during and recovering, even when I’m running faster than I’m used to?