My Mom has a diabetes affecting her eyes

Hello everyone my name is Gustavo Woltmann and I work in a publishers office. My mom has diabetes and its been affecting her eyes. Can you recommend some good food suited for her this coming holidays? Foods that are safe for her and will not elevate her blood sugar.

I’m sorry to read about your mom’s trouble with her eyes. Almost every food will elevate blood glucose to some extent, some a lot more than others. In general, sticking to lower carbohydrate foods and limiting the total amount of carbohydrates consumed in a day will help. So, portion control is still important, even with lower carbohydrate foods.

Low carb foods include meat, cheese, eggs, fish, nuts, seeds, heavy cream, and berries like blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries. Veggies like broccoli and cauliflower are also low carb. Foods to avoid are bread, potatoes, rice and noodles. Most holiday cookies are high carb but alternative and tasty options exist if you look for them.

You may search for low-carb festive desserts on the internet. There are a lot of sites that post these recipes. Here’s one posted by TuD member, @rgcainmd, of low-carb Nanaimo bars. They look delicious.

Eating lower carb does not need to make anyone feel deprived. A low carb, high fat diet contains many tasty foods that satisfy. You do have to exert some discipline in the beginning when you remove the high-starch foods that most people tend to eat. Good luck. There is a life with tasty food, even for people with diabetes!

1 Like

Hi @gustavowoltmann–welcome to TUD (or would that be vilkommen? )

There are a couple of recent threads on this topic that you might have a look at:

2 Likes