Having a LCHF Thanksgiving!

We’re going to have a (relatively) LCHF Thanksgiving (and some guests won’t even know it!):

turkey
cauliflower mashed "potatoes"
Brussels sprouts
squash
chipotle-lime cranberry sauce

and for dessert (you guessed it!):

LCHF Nanaimo Bars

6 Likes

Anyone have a recipe for LC gravy?

I thought there was only FAT in gravy :slight_smile:

Thickeners for gravy are usually starches.

Anyway, ours will not be low carb. LOL

Turkey
Stuffing
World’s Finest Au Gratin Potatoes (mine)
A veggie, TBD
Cranberry-orange sauce
Dessert (TBD)
Lots of wine
Lots of insulin (exogenous or homegrown depending on the individual)

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

There were some alternative thickener ideas here How to Make a Delicious Low-Carb Gravy

I know we’ve made low carb GF gravy at our house and neither me or my husband can remember what we used to thicken… may have been cornstarch?!

PLEASE post nanainmo bar pictures!!

There were some alternative thickener ideas here How to Make a Delicious Low-Carb Gravy

I know we’ve made low carb GF gravy at our house and neither me or my husband can remember what we used to thicken… may have been cornstarch?!

PLEASE post nanainmo bar pictures!!

you could do a couple? this is because everyone may not like mine and you may want a practice run. it’s not the traditional gravy.

I would think reduce the fatty pan juices, use ‘stick blender hollandaise’ style egg/or just yoke and butter/turkey fat to thicken, also some stuffing in it, season well. I find this simple style enhances and magnifies the flavour, rather than introducing another taste.

or practice this for next year :slight_smile:

1 Like

That article makes a good point: even the traditional thickeners (flour and cornstarch) don’t really add a huge number of carbs. Compared to the rest of the typical Thanksgiving meal, the carbs in the gravy may not be very meaningful in percentage terms.

2 Likes

Will you post your cranberry sauce recipe? :smiley_cat::fork_and_knife::champagne:

ETA: I meant to direct that to @rgcainmd for her chipotle-lime recipe.

Ridiculously simple. Fresh cranberries, sugar, and orange juice. Some water if you want the orange flavor to be less pronounced.

My Mom has made an excellent no (net) carb turkey gravy from drippings and xanthan gum. Xanthan gum is, I believe, 100% fiber as far as carb content, does an excellent job at thickening gravies, and has, if anything, positive (lowering) effects on blood sugar.

Here’s a specific recipe from Ruled.me:

Gravy Base
Leftover Innards of Turkey
1/3 cup Chicken Stock
3 cups Water
1 tsp. Worcestershire
2 spring Onions
3 Brussels Sprouts
Salt + Pepper
2 tbsp. Bacon Fat

Gravy Spices
4 sprigs Fresh Thyme
1 Bay Leaf
1/4 tsp. Rosemary
1/4 tsp. Xanthan Gum
1/4 Cup Heavy Cream

Macros per serving (1/12 of recipe) Rosemary Thyme Gravy:
Calories 62.7;
Fats 5.3(g);
Carbs 0.7(g);
Fiber 0.1(g);
Net Carbs 0.6(g);
Protein 2.6 (g).

I’m sure you could go much simpler as well :slight_smile: My preferred turkey gravy is drippings + chitlins + butter + Xanthan gum + salt + pepper.

Chipotle-Lime Cranberry Sauce

Put 3/4 cup water into a medium saucepan and add 1/2 cup Swerve Sweetener (granulated). Bring to a boil and add 12 oz. cranberries. Turn heat down to simmer. When the cranberries begin to pop, add the zest and juice of two limes and one (I only used one so it wouldn’t be too hot) to two finely chopped chipotles in adobo (found canned in the Hispanic section of the grocery store). Simmer until the rest of the cranberries pop and the sauce thickens (about 5 minutes.)

Yum…thanks! Happy Thanksgiving!

1 Like

Great ideas! Mine was almost entirely Low Carb and sugar free. I made mashed potatoes using the Dixie mashed potato replacement mix, biscuits made from flax seed meal, almond flour and CarbQuick, stuffing made with low carb bread (1 per slice) from The Great Low Carb Bread Co., sugar free crustless pumpkin pie, sugar free chocolate mousse and whipped cream, coleslaw dressing sugar free but using buttermilk, cinnamon bread using Carbalose flour and almond flour and of course turkey (Cajun style). I thicken gravy with Carbalose or LC flour. For baking and desserts, I use Splenda, Stevia and sometimes Erythtitol. Needless to day, I only had to add 2 extra units for TGiving and no one could tell the meal was almost 100% diabetic friendly.

Just wanted to take this opportunity to post another photo of one of my legendary smoked turkeys… seriously… legendary

2 Likes

Two questions:

1. Where is the recipie?
  2. How long if you substitute a chicken for the turkey?

No recipe… Picasso didn’t paint by numbers…

Kidding I just soak it in about 2 cups kosher salt and 2 cups brown sugar overnight in 2 gallons of water… I experiment with more and less salt and replacing some of the sugar with apple juice instead but it doesn’t seem to make a ton of difference… then rub it down with olive oil, salt, pepper and whatever other seasonings you like then smoke it at about 200-250 degrees til done. I shoot for 165 degrees in the breast meat… you really don’t want to overcook a turkey but any less than that and he dark meat won’t be done… definitely keep it under 170

I do same exact thing with chicken

(I’m late to the party… :slight_smile: )Sounds and looks delicious, though my family doesn’t like smoked meat much, unfortunately. I guess I have to stick with my plain-and-simple put the stuffed turkey in an electric roaster pot and put a little olive oil on top. Comes out “perfect” every time! (Of course, I’m starting with a kosher turkey, so there’s always some residual saltiness from the kosher-preparation process.)

2 Likes

I don’t understand the magic of the electric roaster vs the oven but agree that they can put out an excellent turkey compared to a conventional oven.