My three month anniversary

Finally. It’s been three months since my diagnosis. I’ve had many difficulties in my life, but these past months has been the toughest. My admiration goes out to all the Type 1 kids out there. They have been my inspiration, and every time I feel down, I think of how much more difficult this is for a child.

I’ve been fortunate to have 30 some years of diabetes-free living. I hope to live the next 30 years complication-free.

I want to thank everyone on tudiabetes for their support, and their participation on this wonderful site. I read it often, and for the most part, the people on this site have been my support system. I also want to thank Manny for his hard work on building this place that helped so many people.

So here is my first A1C since I began treatment: 6.5

My A1C at the hospital when I was diagnosed was 9.5. I know I should be happy about 6.5, but but some reason, I didn’t feel happy.

It is a realization that my diabetes is real. There is no misdiagnosis. This is not a temporary situation. I have it. I am a diabetic.

Over the last three months I have been testing 6-8 times every day, injecting insulin, watching my diet, going to the gym, and started yoga. I have kept careful records of every BG on sugarstats.com (thanks Marston). I can tell you that my last my last 30 days BG average was 112, my last 3 month average was 115 and I have given myself at least 150 injections.

I know I have worked harder on this than anything else in my life. I know I should be happy with the results. But I am still disappointed.

Diabetes has taken away something that I will never reclaim. It has taken my innocence. It has replaced it with heart disease, high blood pressure and cholesterol. Even with my BG under control, I still fight these battles every day, and every day the enemy gains a little ground.

Diabetes did do something good for me. It cured me of my ignorance. I was blindly going through life, thinking that I was invincible. It was a harsh reality check and a high price to pay for my ignorance.

It’s amazing that I had to become a diabetic to learn the secret of life. Diabetics know that every day and every action is a struggle to survive and everything has its consequences. We know that pain is a small price to pay for being able to see the next sunrise. You live one day at a time, and in the end, you are thankful for each one.

Chuck:
Well put!! I think you have captured the essence of life with diabetes, man. You should enter this contest:
http://www.inspiredbydiabetes.com

Indeed we’ve lost our innocence through diabetes. Like you say, I admire so much all the children out there today who have type 1 diabetes… as well as every single one of you who have made it this far, after a lifetime with diabetes.

Chuck, You have hit the nail on the head! I’ve just hit my 3 months and i just got my first A1C. (5.9 by the way) I wish i could have put how i feel, into words the way you have. Thanks.

Congrats on your 3 month anniversary Chuck. I feel where you are coming from (of sorts) It is true that Diabetes has taken a little something from all of us but it has also, like you so well put, given us something as well: awareness. I will have my 20 year anniversary on Christmas eve. I was 14 when I was diagnosed and as strange as this may sound, I think I got it at the perfect time. I say this because I was able to go through a normal childhood Diabetes free but I was not old enough to really have defined myself and found who I was. This may not have helped define me but it did not hold me back after already defining myself because I had not reached that point yet.

Great A1c! I am trying very hard to get mine down to that point (last one almost 3 months ago was 8.3) I am proud of you for jumping in with both feet and taking command of the situation. Wish you all the best in the future.

Your tudiabetes.com brother

I thank you for your post today!

While I just hit my six month anniversary, I also just truly realized that it isn’ t going away. Strange, how one day everything is right, and the next you entire lifestyle is turned upside down. I looked down while rubbing a fresh bruise on the back of my arm, and thought I will be doing this for the rest of my life. Sobering moment to say the least. There will be no vacations, or remission from the constant thought to checking, treating and maintaining all those numbers now swimming in my head.

It is good to know that I’m not the only feeling that way. It is good to communicate with people who have lived a life without and clearly remember how that life was, and now how it has changed. And it is from you and others on this board, that have made the transition a little easier, and have given me the knowledge that life goes on. In fact, it doesn’t just go on, it can go on and be even better. Ultimately, science has given us the tools, but we make the choice to live.

Again thanks!

Good job, Chuck. 6.5 is fabulous and reflects a ton of hard work. Keep it up!!!

Tried to do this beore Chuck but didn’t hit the “Add Your Answer” button so here goes again… Congrads and VERY will put!!! I know how alone you can feel and totally lost in this great big world of “healthy” ppl but the more we find out about others I for 1 am thankful that’s it just Diabetes that I have along with the great complications! I was told when I took it at 10 it could have been alot worse. And now at 44 I see why my mom said that! Keep your chin up and be proud!!! You’ve made it this far and will go alot futher b/c now you know what is healthy for you and what’s not!!!

Wow! I’m envious :wink:
Cool, I have a 3 month buddy. It’s funny we age our diagnosis like we would age babies.
"How long have you been a D? 9 months? awwww how cute!"
and we’re all very proud of our BGs.

I was talking to my mom on the phone tonight, as I do every night since my diagnosis. She logged into my tudiabetes account and saw that I hit 170 today. I was out and had to eat without bolus before dinner. She’s more concerned about my BG than I am.

I’m still her baby… I’m just glad she doesn’t refer to me as “My son, he’s 424 months old”