My Y account

I bought a peloton bike at the start of quarantine and, although it was a pricey investment, I am glad that I did. The bike workouts are fantastic and the other workouts through the app are great. You can do little five minute body-weight sessions to work your arms or legs or core; can take your phone with you and do a run or walk class outdoors. Yoga, stretching, bootcamp, meditation, cardio … I am having fun with it. (I am also coming off of over a year of zero rigorous exercise b/c of excruciatingly painful frozen shoulder and am missing being able to ramp up to get back into tennis shape; this is taking the sting out of that!) I was worried about getting back into winter without a way for me (+ family) to burn energy and feel like we have a good set up now. Jessica

2 Likes

@Nancy50, and the rest, this has been an interesting discussion.

I have a question to help folks exercise at home, traveling, etc. All of the equipment like stationary bikes, Pelaton’s, rowers, etc. are nice. How many of them can be easily moved to a park, lawn, or other location easily? This is the reason for the discussion of suspension training.

What are the best full body, portable, safe, and inexpensive ways to exercise?

Concept 2 equipment can easily be moved if it’s on level ground since they have rollers. It is common for people to tilt their machines and roll out them onto decks or into backyards, or from garages onto driveways. That said, they are both large and heavy, so unless someone is also large - they are a minimum of six (6) feet long - and moderately strong, it would be unwieldy to move. They are collapsible, so if one was doing a long-term move from one area to another, that could be accomplished by someone without much effort.

A minor note, the machines can be easy to store, depending on the version one buys, as they can be collapsed or tilted up. One can roll it up into a corner.

@JamesIgoe, thanks for addressing the Concept 2 equipment. Sounds sturdy and convenient for home use.

Again, what I was attempting to get across to this post’s readers is most suspension training sets (TRX specifically) weigh less than 2 pound (1 kg for the metric world) and fit nicely in luggage for travel or a small string bag if strolling to the park.

Cheers.

1 Like

I thought it was a question.

For myself, it would need to be filtered to see if it mattered, since portability is not part of my concerns. I’m partial to solid equipment that does not need to be moved. My experience with anything portable has not been good, and when I lift weights, I am going to go heavy, something that portable equipment does not handle well.

When I was in my late 20s and early 30s I did most of my workouts outdoors, running, hiking, biking, and rowing, but over time, with the constraints of work and commuting, it transitioned to almost exclusive indoor equipment, and later, with a move to Manhattan, exclusively using gyms, except for long, intense walks around the city.

With the pandemic, I bought a rowing machine, but this is not a long-term solution, as it sits in the middle of the living room. Eventually, I’ll head back to my gym, sell the rowing machine, and get back to my regular indoor rowing/skiing/elliptical workouts, and since my gym has locations around the city, I can usually combine exploratory fitness walks with my workouts.

The activities that I do miss of the outdoors, and would love to have more of, is rowing on the water, cross-country skiing, and trail/dirt biking. I’m hoping to fit more in when I retire.

Are you a KTM man @JamesIgoe?

1 Like

Would TRX be an issue for me with shoulder bursitis flare-up. I walk,bike,mow,garden and shovel. Looks interesting. Nancy50

1 Like

I tried to check what you meant, and even then, there is KTM motocross as well as KTM cycle. Assuming it is one of the latter…

Honest, the last bike I owned was a Giant, a ‘beater’ that I refurbished after buying it at a garage sale for $25. That’s a long time ago, loved cycling on trail - nowadays they call it cross and gravel - and I had fantasies of cycling through the desert. I was flying for business back then, helping set up the tech for newly acquired offices around the country, and I remember driving through Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Before that, my few experiences in the desert were phenomenal, hiking an unlaid railroad bed through a mountainside, 95 degrees and no humidity, after which we wound up in Lake Mead. From that, I felt that more time in the desert was going to be heaven.

My apologies … I thought you were referring to motorized dirt biking. :motorcycle:

1 Like

No worries. I’m thinking it’s happened to me before…

1 Like

Water offers more resistance then air Noise is a little greater then air but just turn up your volume. Have a great time with and happing Rowing

I ended up ordering and receiving a Concept2 Model D air rowing machine. For at least 20 minutes each day, I am rowing the equivalent of 3,000 meters. I love the motion and the way my body responds to this exercise. In particular, I am enjoying an improvement to my core and sense a tightening of my abdominal muscles.

In addition, I’m experiencing some of the best blood glucose traces I’ve ever witnessed in the 11 years I’ve worn a CGM. My new rowing exercise routine has contributed to that success. I highly encourage anyone considering this exercise to give it a try,

3 Likes

So glad to hear. Over the past few weeks, I thought of asking you how it was going. It’s a relief to hear that it’s gone well for you.

Thanks for the tip! They have some rowing machines at our Y. I will check them out.
So, does everybody feel safe going back to the gym, now? Is it packed, or what??

I exercise wearing an N95 respirator. It has actually helped.

1 Like

Back in the pool,no problems. Class has a low turnout,lots of space. Nancy50

2 Likes