NaNoMoFaAsMo

With November apparently being the month of acronyms and resolutions, I hearby declare my November

NATIONAL NO MORE FAT ARSE MONTH

It's been 1 year and 20 pounds since I was diagnosed with diabetes. Ok, 30 pounds. Which is as big as a CHILD. Like a fully functional, talking, walking child. This must go. It's time to abandon this freeloader of an unwanted kid. And I'm leaving it at the gym.

If all goes according to plan, I will be starting on my pump on Wednesday. That's in two days. Lots of people gain weight when they switch to the pump. I think it has something to do with being able to eat whenever you want and just push a button rather than pierce your skin. Also, tighter control seems to equal tighter pants.

I will not let the child get bigger.

So here's the plan:

1. Eat according to the Mayo Clinic lower your cholesteral diet because it's filled with lots of good for you foods.

2. Go to the damn gym every day, even if it's just for the 20 minute interval cardio workout. When I let myself off the hook and say that I'll do something else at home, I never do. I need the formality of the gym.

3. Make and eat soup for work lunches because Cosi-induced poverty isn't much fun either.

4. Blog daily to celebrate my daily success and/or blog daily to shame myself into compliance.

So here's today status:

Food - good, except for that big old blueberry muffin from Harris Teeter

Exercise - 1 hr of resistence training with Colleen this morning, 20 minutes of swimming tonight

Notes:

- Muffin was totally worth the insulin shot

- Muffin was not totally worth the all day reaction high BGs

- I really don't know how to swim. I know how not to drown.

Hah! This post title cracked me up. I’m glad you’re abandoning the child. I’ve got about two children I’d like to ditch. Kudos to you for taking the first step! :slight_smile:

hey Lizzie,
I think better control often makes people gain weight, but I think the pump can go either way. I usually can more easily avoid gaining weight and sometimes lose weight with the pump over shots because I can reduce my insulin in the short term instead of feeding all of my lows (I still have to treat lows, but less frequently/severely and less around exercise). I exercise a lot, and for this I think the pump is helpful if you want to lose weight because you won’t have to eat constantly to keep from going low, and you can do exercise more spontaneously (plan it & turn down your insulin 30-60 minutes beforehand instead of once every 12-24 hours when you take your long acting insulin).

That said, I am pretty happy with my fat ■■■. (and don’t be too hard on yourself - your body was probably starving and malnourished before you were diagnosed & it makes sense you gained some weight).