Need advice on log book

I was recently dx with T2. I’m having some more labs done later this week to rule out adult onset of T1 since I have 2 T1 children and other symptoms that coincide with T1.

I was thinking of going ahead and doing a log book of my BG’s and what I’ve eaten. I’m anticipating an appt to an endo so I want to have my ducks in a row when I go. My question is, what would be the best way to do this log? Do I need to write down what I’m eating and record 1 hour PPG and 2 hour PPG’s? My highest spikes are often 1 hour PP.

I want to record all that I can but not include irrelevant information. Thanks so much for your input!

1 Like

The most important thing you can do is simply to start and sustain a log for a time. The physical act of writing something down helps you to process the meaning of the data. Every meal is a little different about when it peaks blood glucose. I would favor sticking with just the 2-hour number but it would be good to know a few 1-hour readings. I think watching your numbers will help you decide about food choices. There’s a popular strategy named “eat to your meter” that embodies that sentiment. Paying attention to the data is just the beginning. Changing your behavior in response to the data is important, too.

If it were me starting out I’d be tempted to just use a paper and pencil, but there are many worthwhile apps to help you.

Here’s my insight into the power of getting involved in your personal data. When I follow my data, I find I naturally and subconsciously try to influence it in a positive direction. It’s a virtuous cycle.

Good luck!

4 Likes

Hi momof2T1s2,

Because you have 2 kids with T1 it seems to me that keeping a log of stuff is likely already a skill. Just do it for you now. Do record your bg results and your meal times. What you eat will be a conversation but I wouldn’t “record” it. Just be prepared to discuss your diet if asked. I hope you get a dx answer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I appreciate your input. I’m hopeful by doing this it will provide some necessary insight on my behalf.

@momof2T1s2, we would have a hard time doing it on paper. Electronic logs feel much more comfortable to us now. There is another thread on logging apps, where mySugar gets kudos. We use myNetDiary, diabetes option, which costs $60/ year. We like it a lot, with the exception of lack of integration to the dexcom - so we are considering other options.

1 Like

Few things offer the versatility of a good old fashioned piece of lined paper, pencil, and a ruler. Who better to decide what I formation is relevant to you and how to categorize than yourself? I’ve tried a lot of dfferent electronic logs, iPhone apps, etc but always feel like I find more value by just making my own log sheets on regular paper— and something about the act of physically writing things down seems to stimulate learning processes and help trigger memorization for me… e.g. If I had an unexpected result and I actually physically recorded it on paper with pencil I’m far more likely to remember it and make better informed judgements next time than if my iPhone or dexcom just electronically logged it… that’s what works for me

1 Like

I do input all,y data into my dexcom so when I download it shows when I had any carb, or insulin or exercise but it doesn’t show how much. So I also keep and paper log. Call me old school but when I am looking at my downloads and see something that doesn’t make sense, I can pull out my log book. And it is very helpful to see the question is usually answered in foods I ate, or exercise I did or amount of insulin I took.
I use Smart Charts that I get from Diabetes Mall at diabetesnet.com. John Walsh designed these. It has blood sugar chart with insulin on one side and food on other side. Love my Smart Chart and it fits in my meter case. Good luck with your visit and as you know the more info you at each doctor visit the more you can get out of each visit.

1 Like