Need help on where to search for a local Diabetes Pump User support group

Hello,

I have had Diabetes Type 1 for almost 19 years. I am however, new to using a pump. I am athletic and am trying to find out how I can search for a local support group for pumpers.

I have tried with out any luck. It would just be nice to find a support group where you can meet at least once a month (the old fashion way).

Thanks in advance for your input.

Call your local hospitals and ask about support groups. Most hospitals near me have at least 1 diabetes support group, the one closest to me has 3, type 1, type 2 and a pumper group.

Hi Elmo,

You can also ask at your endo’s office. My CDE in that office holds meetings for pumpers, and type 1 and type 2 like Cara mentioned. I happen to go to a very big practice so in addition to meetings, they will occasionally have guest speakers to some events. Good luck finding what you need.

I’m not sure which pump you’re using, but I know that MiniMed hosts some regional groups for pumpers and CGM users. It may be hit and miss finding active atheletes in those local meetings, however. I’ve been diabetic for 30 years, and on a pump for over 20, and played lacrosse in college while pumping so I’d be happy to dialog with you about how I managed things through that phase of my life.

Good luck! I had to start my own support group not specifically for pumpers just T1’s in general. Try the hospitals in your area, your local Diabetes Association and after that I don’t know.

If you are willing to drive about a half hour, there is an insulin pump support group at Florida Hospital (http://www.floridahospital.com/Patients/SupportGroups.aspx).