Neighbor just told me about his Costo run today

He said there was a line AROUND THE STORE to buy toilet paper. The limit is ONE. This is crazy like the 1974 oil crisis but I didn’t take part in the get-up-at-4AM-to-hang-out-at-a-gas-station phenomenon… Instead, I’d just find a station with no line or one or two in line during the day and get my gas without much waiting.

1 Like

I have been dealing with panic laden people for the past 2 weeks. No one I work with and many have been with the company for over 30 years, has ever seen anything like this.
Warehouse manage told me in his 30+ years he has never heard of any warehouse running out of toilet paper, ever. And now the depots can’t keep it in stock.
We try to not stock during the day as it is hard to work around people with forklifts, sure sometimes if we sell out of something they pull it down but never food items.
And everyday, when the dry trucks come in, they pull it off the truck and put it out in the middle of the aisle and stock.
Yesterday, the first time in my 12 years, they had to pull frozen product out of the freezer to stock because by 1:00 pm, half the stuff was gone. They had to restock again at 5:00 pm. It is madness! We had a line on both sides of the warehouse that went almost all the way through the store.
When I got in, (early so I can see what we don’t have ), I noticed no carts. So I asked if they wanted me to help push carts for awhile. I was told, they are not in the parking lot, they are all in the warehouse!! Over 1,000 people through the door in the opening hour.
I know people are concerned but Wow!
And myself who is in the older category and with a chronic condition, feel like I’m working in a Petri dish. With all these people coughing and sneezing and runny noses and poor hygiene. It is only a matter of time. But it’s not like the 29 million people with diabetes can check out of their daily life and responsibilities. I mean, someone has to stock the shelves, and ring people up and unload product. And I need the paycheck every week and the health coverage for me and my family. Just such a catch 22. Stay home and hope I don’t get it from someone at home or go to work and pray my immune system can handle it.

2 Likes

Good luck, Sally! My thoughts are with you.

2 Likes

That must make you very anxious. I think of aircraft as petri dishes too. One of the places I hate being the most is a medical clinic. And the one that I go to is CRAMMED with Chinese. Right after the news of corona virus I was met with a wall-to-wall vista of them when I got off of the elevator. Most had masks on. I was glad when the receptionist said I could go across the street to a sister-location to drop off a lab sample. The wait at the lab in the main clinic was about an hour long. And I pray that no one gets on the elevator with me for the 4-floor ride…

My Mom went to Costco just before they closed last night and it wasn’t too bad. Either my city has passed it’s desperate Costco phase or my Mom picked a really good time to go.

1 Like

This is for you, Dave.

stores have FINALLY begun to limit certain items to 1/person. they should have done that quite some time ago when they saw a run on things. leave it to corporations to move too slowly.

In Utah they have been faster than the feds.

I work in a huge call center that was recently remodeled. We have very low walls of glass and are packed in like sardines. on Friday 3/13, they announced that nothing public can be used except the bathrooms. That means no more coffee, fridges, water fountains, microwaves, cafeteria (have to eat at your desk with a cooler you bring in) no food delivery, no sharing food, and just today 3/14 they were talking of putting up tarps in the aisles. Wish they would just give in already and close us down! We are totally miserable!

Simple solution

I just read where a guy on Amazon has now been “stuck” with 17,000 bottles of hand sanitizer because Amazon cut him off for price gauging. He was selling 2 bottles of Purell for $20 and charging $10 shipping. But guess what is even worse, they were $1.00 retail value bottles, so that had to be the very small travel sizes. I’m glad he’s stuck. Price gauging in crisis situations is an awful thing. He might have been able to say I drove all over to get these so I have higher costs, But a $1 retail tiny bottle for $10 ? No way.

1 Like

I hope he can’t find any place to unload is ill-begotten goods.

2 Likes

Forgive me everyone, just a little humor.
The walk

2 Likes