An easy way to gauge that life has changed:

When you score some eggs, and that makes you excited. LOL! We normally shop at a nearby Lucky but lately they are out of much of what we are looking for. I decided to head out to see what I could find, as I don’t want my wife doing ALL of the shopping for food, given how frustrating it is now. I thought of all the local supermarkets and decided on one of the 2 Safeways. It was a good choice. While out of many things, they still had bread and eggs. The baking section was mostly picked clean–the only flour they had looked like it was in about 1 lb bags, for $2.69. I passed on those.

Moral: don’t presume that just because the store you usually go to is out of what you need, that all other local stores also are out of those same items. and good luck!

I live at the south end of the Salt Lake county. North end had a 5.7 earthquake at 7 this morning. Our house suffered no damage. At least with all the closures no one was hurt. Most of our grocery stores are turning the first hour in the morning to people over the age of 60. I figure it should be cleanest then. So far we have not needed anything. We got that California rain today, so no walking outside.

1 Like

Aren’t you concerned that you may be exposing yourself to this virus? My initial thought for getting groceries was to shop early in the morning, like 7:00 a.m. thinking that fewer people would be in the store. Unfortunately, that’s when a lot of workers are in the aisles stocking shelves. One of my younger neighbors volunteered to grocery shop for me and I’ve accepted her offer. I’m normally an independent type but I think this circumstance is an exception.

Recent reports suggest the possibility that this virus may be transmitted via exhaled air that is tiny enough to suspend in the air for many minutes. This aerosolized virus possibility is daunting.

This NY Times article published yesterday looks at this issue. (As I understand it, The NY Times, usually behind a paywall, permits access to all coronavirus stories provided you register, which is free.)

From The Times story.

The new study, published Tuesday in the New England Journal of Medicine, also suggests that the virus disintegrates over the course of a day on cardboard, lessening the worry among consumers that deliveries will spread the virus during this period of staying and working from home.

When the virus becomes suspended in droplets smaller than 5 micrometers — known as aerosols — it can stay suspended for about a half-hour, researchers said, before drifting down and settling on surfaces where it can linger for hours. The finding on aerosol in particular is inconsistent with the World Health Organization’s position that the virus is not transported by air.

1 Like

I don’t live with the same amount of anxiety as some other folks, Terry. We have to eat, so I got some essentials at Safeway. Apparently,. other human beings in my area realize they also have to eat in order to survive, so they too, were at the stores.

Gauging from comments from members of this forum, I don’t share the same level of worry about things. Thankfully, my wife, and my neighbors, family members, etc all seem to think about things such as what’s going on with this virus with roughly the same attitude as myself. No one that I know is panicked, no one that Ive talked to is getting too worked up about the pandemic.

I fully empathize with anyone experiencing high levels of anxiety. I used to have panic attacks many, many years ago. Whether it be panic attacks, or just constant or frequent anxiety, it is a TERRIBLE feeling. IMO, it’s worse than many physical problems. You all have my sincere empathy!

I don’t feel panic, just a level of caution that I think is justified for what looks like the leading edge of the worst pandemic since 1918. To each has own. I suspect that we’ll each view things from a much different perspective in the next month or so.

I also realize that some people who take none of the precautions that I’m taking will skate through this without a scratch and some people who are taking every possible precaution suffer the worst. Luck and fate will do what it does.

I wish you the best.

5 Likes

I wish everyone the best and hope that anyone experienceing anxiety find some way to alleviate it. I mean anxiety for any reason, or such as in my case, for no particular reason. I had no idea what was the root cause of the panic attacks and general, daily anxiety. I tried using a tiny amount of anti-anxiety meds but I found that not to be a viable solution so I stopped taking any.

1 Like

I stopped going to work today. Today was my deadline. I dont think they have a plan. If they do, its moving very, very slowly. I went in early and disinfected the place and refilled hand sanitizer in an effort to limit the risk. I’m taking PTO until they send us remote. We are the only ones left not remote. To the Management: Uncool. Very Uncool.

We are self isolating,social distancing. But my ? Is this. At some point we do need to food shop. For us maybe 2 weeks away. We live in a rural area. We have no delivery available. Milk,eggs,salad. We are very cautious. No other option. Be safe everyone. Nancy50

Social distancing doesn’t mean cutting yourself off completely, it just means trying to maintain distance from other people.

When I go out, I just try to stay 1-2 metres away from other people, don’t touch my face, and wash my hands first thing after coming indoors. I also remove the outer packaging of food (trying not to touch the food itself) and dispose of it immediately, and then wash my hands again. I’ve started cleaning produce with a soak in some soap and water (probably should have been doing this anyway, as I read a rinse with water doesn’t actually remove pesticides, which is what I used to do).

3 Likes

Ironically, my mother has been saying all week: “Just wait, Seattle is going to get ‘The Big One’ in the middle of this mess.”

(I guess there has been a "Big One " that people have dreaded; an 8.0 magnitude quake along California’s San Andreas fault. That would be a minor vibration compared to “The Big One”. Roughly 100 miles off the West Coast, running from Mendocino, California, to Canada’s Vancouver Island, lurks the Cascadia Subduction Zone, where the Juan de Fuca Plate is sliding beneath the North American Plate, creating the conditions for a megathrust quake 30 times stronger than the worst-case scenario along the notorious San Andreas, and 1,000 times stronger than the earthquake in Haiti in 2010. Shockwaves will unleash more destructive force against the United States and Canada than anything short of nuclear war, a giant asteroid strike, or a civilization-threatening super-volcano.)