Neonatal Diabetes

Hi

I am Karina and Mum to Sarah who was born with a rare condition of “born without a pancreas”

Sarah was born at 31 weeks weighing 735grams. She spent 112 days in NICU before coming home.

She was diagnosed with Pancreatic Agenesis and Neonatal Diabetes at 3 weeks of age.

She went onto a pump at 1.5 kgs when she was 12 weeks old and is using the Animas 2020.

She is now 7 months old, and weighs 4kgs or about 10 pound!

Our days are filled with challanges to try and keep her blood sugar in range and her last HB1AC was 7.9%

Oh and we live in Melbourne Australia

Karina, welcome to TuDiabetes. What a heartbreaking development to have to deal with in your baby girl. I can relate to daily challenges as a type 1 diabetic, but the challenges you likely face must be very difficult to deal with! We’re here for you in every way we can be. I’ve been pumping for 10 of my 19 years as a Type 1. If you have any questions I can answer, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Hello Karina: :slight_smile:

Welcome! Wow! I would certainly say that Sarah has a rare condition. She is a Miracle Baby! Bless her heart. I can’t imagine the day to day challenges and worries that you must have. I’m Glad that you were able to get a pump for Sarah. That obviously would be more helpful in her situation. My Very best Wishes and prayers for you and Sarah. Congratulations on the birth of your Little Sweetheart. :slight_smile:

Karina, I’m very glad that you found us! I can only imagine all the challenges that you have faced with Sarah, but I am glad to hear that she is growing and that your are able to keep relatively good blood sugars! I hope that you will find lots of support in this community!!

Thanks for the Welcome

Sarah has actually been admitted to ICU, not sure what is going on at that moment but she is in recurrent hypoglycemia and they are investigating

My prayers will be with your family Karina. Hope everything goes ok.

I’m praying for Sarah!!

Sarah, you and your Family are in my thoughts and prayers. It’s quite amazing how and what the Medical Professionals can do with many unique Patients now. I hope that things go Well for her.

I’m glad to hear that your daughter is growing healthy & it’s truly a miracle that we have the technology today to make life possible.

Hi Karina - when I was born - I was 4 kgs - but didn’t develop diabetes until I was 7 years old. I hope Sarah is doing alright!

My heart goes out to you, you’re a special Mom!!!

My prayers and thoughts goes out to Sarah…Be strong Karina. Im happy youre here.