New CGM User With G6 Set-Up Questions

This forum is a wonderful resource and well of knowledge.

Also, there are a number of videos on youtube, etc. that is basically training on inserting the sensor, etc. Not too many things that you cannot learn between those videos and this forum.

I was also very nervous when i received the pack having spent my own money on it and not having used a CGM before. In the end it all went smoothly, but did take some pointers and reassurances from the helpful folks on here to get me there. I think I overwhelmed myself with information to begin with!!

The current virus situation is frustrating - I have approval to get the Libre system fully funded through the NHS, but can’t get my hands on it as an in person training session is required to get the prescription. Could be many months til that happens now, so I just decided that I might as well spend the money I’m saving not commuting to work on the Dexcom

As @Robyn_H wrote, it can be super simple to setup, provided you have the right phone. If you have a compatible phone, the you simply install the DexCom G6 app. Although requiring a bit more work, if your phone is compatible, you can even use a watch to keep track of your numbers. It’s best with an Apple phone and watch, since only some watches have the ability to work with Android phones.

If you don’t have a compatible phone, you would need to use the receiver, since the technology as described above might be complicated for you. I have tried some of the technologies mentioned, and did not find them well-documented. I work in technology as a software developer, and if I struggled, it is likely worse for you. Even then, what was offered wasn’t better than what I had with Dexcom.

BTW, I’ve been very happy with my setup, a G6, a Samsung Android Phone, and 2 watches, one old and one new. The app itself if good enough, but It’s even better to be able to look at my wrist and see my numbers. That said, I am thinking long-term about switching to the Apple, since it works much better with watches, with more faces and more options for displaying blood sugar.

https://www.dexcom.com/faq/what-devices-and-software-are-compatible-dexcom-cgm-apps

I seem to be increasingly getting “Sensor Errors”, usually seems to come back to life after 30-60 minutes but is quite annoying

Unsure if it is related to the sensor, or a quirk of my phone with xdrip

I have a telehealth video call scheduled for monday morning to teach me about the device and how to use it through my endo office.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, my phone is not compatible. But, I will probably be looking for a new phone sometime in the next 6 months and I will definitely look for something compatible.

If you are using xdrip Native, then it is sensor.
XDrip native reports whatever is transmitted, matching whatever receiver would say.

Thanks - must the case, a day or so later I got “Sensor Failed 5” and it never came back from that

Four days into the second sensor and has worked flawlessly so far, hopefully this one will go the distance