New here

I just started on this site, today. I am looking around, hopefully won’t get into too much trouble within the next few minutes here ((just kidding)).

I guess you can say I am a ‘brittle’ Type 1 diabetic, for the last 10 years. It has been very interesting with day to day life. I am a student of nursing ((RN)) and lack about 3 more months to graduation.

And… I guess that’s all I have to say for now.

Hi there!!! WELCOME!!! An RN! Now I know who to go to when I have something wrong! LOL! again WELCOME!!!

Welcome to the family! :wink:

I’m new here as well, having only been here for less than a week and I’m already finding that its nice to have a community of people that all have the same thing in common. It’s like friends/family combined with a support team. People who know what you’re talking about, and some who have probably been there with you.

LOL. thank you again. it is nice talking to you :slight_smile:

thank you for the welcome. and i can offer a welcome to you as well.

Welcome… My son has been diabetic for just a little more than a year… and my mom…who used to be a nurse…thinks he might be “brittle” the Doc said…“We don’t use the word “brittle” anymore…we will figure him out and find out what works with the inulins we have availiable today.” He was on a pump…now back on MDI to try and have less variables to see if we can’t get him more stable. So far they are running him very high and he doesn’t like it at all.
Love coming here to vent and talk and learn… hope you find it helpful.

Welcome!! This forum is such a huge support system and always gives the best advice!

Thanks! :slight_smile:

According to Wikipedia and other sources, only 1-2% of diabetics are truly “brittle”, meaning they land in the hospital frequently due to severe highs or lows.

I think in the past the term was used much more loosely to describe people who could not find an insulin regimen that worked for them. Of course, in the past there wasn’t much that could be done if an insulin regimen didn’t work for you. Today there are so many more tools and options. For some people (like me) the insulin pump (with frequently adjustments) is the only way to get decent control. Even with the pump I still have daily excursions I just can’t figure out.

To the OP, welcome to TuDiabetes!

I agree with what the others have said about “brittle”, and hope you are able to get information on here that will help you adjust your blood sugars; many of us have gotten more help not to mention support on here than we have from our doctors. 18,000 diabetics with thousands of years experience can’t be wrong! Welcome!

thank you for the welcome, Katsz. My doctor used to tell me there was no such thing as ‘brittle’, until he seen me in the emergency department a few times when he was a doctor on duty there. i have been back and forth on and off the pump, but I have found that very frequent testing helps a bit.

may I ask how old your son is? i wish good luck with ya’ll to try and find something that works. it can seem like a needle in a haystack to find the right solutions sometimes.

thank you for the welcome Jennifer

thank you for the welcome LiL Mama - I am finding that out with all the information i am reading :slight_smile:

thank you for the welcome Zoe! and I do agree you say :slight_smile: