New pods?

Am seeing red after my discussion with Insulet.

We were not notified when our PDM for our son was out of warranty in April. I received a phone call in September offering an upgrade to the new system, and was told that it would be about $1,000 (as we have a very high insurance deductible). We were not told that the old system would no longer be supported.

We called Insulet to check on a replacement box of pods, as we got a bad box. We were told that they were no longer producing them, and we would have to buy the new PDM.

I think this is outrageous. Does anyone know if this is even legal?

Thanks.

Patti

Unfortunately, yeah, it is legal. And is about par for the course in today's medical industry.

I think it is pretty crappy of them not to have warned you that they would not be making the old pods after such and such a date. Luckily in canada they still have the old pods as the new ones are not out yet. it`s too bad that you can`t get them from canada in the states for this situsation.

I recall Insulet saying the old pods would not be made any more many months ago. But alas, they did not directly inform users which is a bad in my book.

That's really my main beef with them. I spent over two hours on the phone this morning, and they truly believe posting info on their webpage and sending out an email blast constituted notification to their customers. I shudder to think how they would handle a recall.

I finally worked something out with them that I can live with, but the whole experience has left a very bad taste in my mouth. We have been customers for over 4 years (with 2 kids using the system) and feel we have not been dealt with fairly.

Thanks to everyone who replied, I appreciate the thoughts and the opportunity to vent!

Happened to me when I had a PDM fail earlier in the year, they would not sell me another (2nd gen) PDM to use up the 3 months of pods I had sitting in my bathroom. About a month later (on shots), I contacted them about upgrading me to the new system before my insurance policy expired. I spent 2-4 hours on the phone with Insulet PER DAY trying to get a hold of someone who could help me, normally ending in being hung up on or "someone will call you back" with no result.

Eventually, after endless frustrated hours, I decided I was done with Insulet and am 2 weeks into a new pump...one where I can actually get customer support when I need it.

I am so sorry that happened to you! If it were up to me, I would have done the same thing, but it was for my son who can't deal with the tubing at all. Hopefully there will be a tubeless alternative in the future. . . .

I never remember seeing an email from them about the upgrade. I knew new pods were coming, but assumed they would be controlled with the old PDM. I'm not even sure I knew a new PDM was coming out until very recently! So imagine my shock when I only had 3 pods left and needed to get the entire new system. Didn't help that those 3 pods ALL errored within 3 days...