New Site Fears

I have alternated between Quickset and Siloette sites for about 7 years now. My endo recently asked my to try Sure-T sites. Im really nervous and quite anxious about just about everything about them. I havent heard a ton about them so I dont know what to think. Any advice???

If you can do a quickset and a silhouette, you can definitely do a sure T. it's a smaller metal needle instead of the plastic cannula you are used to with the quick sets and sils.

Some people don't like them because of the metal needle staying in, when I used them i was ok with it, you might hit a few odd nerves but its worth a try. I changed because I was interested in trying something new but I'd definitely go back if I had to ;-)

try using the back of your arm, thigh and belly sites, those were my favorite places to put them. Good luck my friend!

Hi Lindsay. I use Contact-Detach, the Animas equivalent to Sure-Ts. I have the teflon allergy. I find the metal needle way more reliable than a plastic cannula. It can't kink! Order the shortest needle length you think will work, i.e. if you have a good thick layer of fat get longer, but if you are lightly padded, shorter. When I put them in, I have found that if I gently touch the needle tip here and there to my skin in the area I plan to insert I can avoid hitting nerves/vessels. Just choose the spot with the least feeling. I love these sets! If you do hit a place that continues to bother you, you can remove the needle, clean it with an alcohol wipe, trim off the adhesive circle, reinsert it somewhere else, tape it down (NOT found in the instruction book - lol) Another thing, since it IS metal, if you bump it it can zing you. I put a Dr. Scholl's callous protector cirlcle on top of/around the needle which helps a lot!

Hi Lindsey Beth,

What are your fears & concerns about the Sure-T? I've never been a Medtronic or Sure-T user, but I've only heard good things about them. For example, people who have trouble with teflon catheters are usually quite happy with the metal needle. They tend to be more reliable, they don't come loose, etc.

I use the Animas pump and user the Contact Detach infusion set, which has a metal needle. Before that I used the Cleo90 infusion set with my old Cozmore 1800 pump (sniff, I miss that guy...), and I also used the Omnipod system for a while. I've had nothing but good results with a metal needle; it's much more reliable, in my mind, than a teflon catheter. If it comes loose, it starts poking you and you INSTANTLY know it's come loose. So I pull it off, find a new site, and stick it back in. Reinforce it with some tape and I can keep pumping straight on through to end of that infusion-set use cycle. If that happens with a Cleo90 or a pod, the device was shot and the infusion set/catheter HAD to be replaced. I've wound up having a lot less infusion set wastage as a result.

Anyhow, that's my $0.02. Get some free samples, try them out, and decide for yourself if you like the Sure-T's or if you hate them. Whatever works for you is the best course of action.

Cheers and good luck, Mike

Lindsey Beth - I'm also interested in the possibility of switching to a metal cannula. I tried a couple of these sets last fall and found them relatively painless and dependable. I called the Animas (my pump brand) supply line and requested a trial. They sent me two to try out.

In any case, if you're not happy with them, you can switch back in short order.