Newest Meter -- Accu-Chek Aviva Expert

New meter marketed by Accu-Chek has a built-in insulin calculator for those who take MDIs.

https://www.accu-chek.com/microsites/aviva-expert/features.html

(originally posted by Sarah Kaye @sugabeticme on Twitter)

I like this meter. I got it from my doctor 3 months ago when i started novolog mdi for meals. This meter is almost like the accuchek combo insulin pump except it does not have the pump option just the advisor. I just got the battery warning because it takes aaa bateries. Are the tests saved when you change the batteries?

Thanks Michelle for the response. I'm glad someone's tried it and I'm so glad you like it. I plan to ask my endo for one at my appointment. He plans to start me on injections, but with my work schedule and highs/lows I really need a pump.

Like you said this would be closest thing to the pump and this would be the first step if he starts me with MDIs.

It really is a very nice meter. I was given one by my CDE when I was diagnosed so it was a logical progression that when I wanted a pump, I got the Accu-Chek Combo. The meter is identical in every way except the Combo meter has bluetooth and delivers the bolus automagically instead of just telling you to inject x units.

Thanks Apulo!

That's what I will need in the near future--my job duties and schedule are changing and a pump with a meter that delivers the bolus will work since my job requires appearances at luncheons and dinners. So it would be easy to check my meter and bolus from the meter.

Dieting and exercise is not controlling the "creep" in my BGs and MDIs aren't going to sufficient at work.

I had been reading up on the Ping and Omnipod, but now the Accu-Chek Aviva has caught my eye.

Hi, I emailed my endo about this and sent him the information so he can sign up for them so I hope to get one on my next visit. I was on various pumps for 9+ years but developed adhesive allergy. Tried everything. Finally went back on MDI - and boy was I stressed because I did not have the insulin calculator. I have been waiting for one to come out. I had used the regular Aviva, now I am on the Nano, but cannot wait to switch to the Aviva Expert.

Will it keep the amount of carbs you put in so when you connect to the 360 software will it print out the amount of carbs you put in, any exercise adjustment, and then print the bolus given? That would be great for showing to my endo.

I'm on the Roche Accu-chek pump called Spirit Combo. It has blue tooth. I can bolus, do temp basals, from the meter.