Normal blood sugar range for non diabetic child?

Hello all, just looking for some answers. Someone I know, had a scare with T1 with their son recently, having a random BG check of 300+. Being a worrier, I thought I would check my sons BG since he’s the same age just to make sure. That random test was 117 but he had eaten just an hour prior. I’ve monitored him occasionally over a week, and his fasting are usually between 78-93 mostly in the 80s, and his two hour post meal are 99 percent of the time below 140. They might be 130 with a very carb heavy meal. But for example, after pizza, cheez it and a koolaid he was at 110. I’ve looked online and can’t find anyone that says what non diabetic children BG range is, so I’m assuming it is like Non-D adults less than 100 fasting and less than 140 2 hours post meal?

One other thing is that something in the evening after dinner he will want to hang around 100-110 for a while before dropping back into the 90s.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Would be greatly appreciated. Also, he has no symptoms of T1 but I just assumed being a healthy, active 5 year old his BG would be lower.

Children’s BG will flucutate.

I see nothing you have posted that would give me even a second’s worth of concern for any of my children.

If you have any further concerns, you should discuss in detail with your child’s Pediatrician.

5 Likes

Please, please, please stop testing your son. The symptoms of type 1 are rapid and evident. No good can come from worrying or random testing he doesn’t need! Type 1 is extremely prevalent in my family, and the best thing my parents ever did was NEVER worry about it unless they saw obvious symptoms.

3 Likes

Thank you for your response! I appreciate it. :blush:

Thank you Scott_Eric. You’re so right, I shouldn’t worry and test him, but that one number had me alarmed so I just wanted to check and make sure for a few days there was nothing else out of the way. So, with T1 it isn’t a gradual onset, but more of a boom its happening all of a sudden type thing?

Typically, especially in children, the onset is pretty sudden. Everyone is different of course, and it’s possible those with type 1 run slightly elevated numbers for a bit of time before symptoms appear, but there isn’t much you can do about it and I doubt it causes much harm. The thing to remember is it is near-impossible to achieve normal glucose levels with the treatment for type 1 that currently exists, so even if someone is walking around with slightly elevated glucose numbers a few months before full-blown diagnosis, they are probably still achieving numbers as good or better as a tightly-controlled type 1 diabetic.

1 Like

I think he is ok bg seems normal. You can have him tested for anti bodies if you are worried.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. :blush:

1 Like

Thank you for breaking it down for me. I understand that better now. I appreciate it.

Yeah typical signs would be excessively thirsty, going to the bathroom a lot, number 1, and being very very tired. Cranky grumpy moods. All of this can relate to high blood sugar. Wow, I’m surprised he let you do the ‘ow’ so much. Lol. I did it a few times on my kids, but when I mention it they won’t let me. They don’t want to do it. Lol. Just kidding, I understand where you’re coming from. There is a strong genetic base to diabetes, but it is not always genetically related. Maybe watch things like hormones in dairy products, things like that have been studied…

1 Like

Thanks for your response :blush:

I was diagnosed as T1 at the age of 28. My brother was diagnosed T1 at nine years old, but nobody else in our family or extended family is insulin-dependent. So before my diagnosis, my brother’s condition was a mystery. So I understand the concern for sudden diagnosis.

However there were many warning signs with both of us prior to being diagnosed. He was wetting the bed every night for six months, while I experienced nausea, dizziness, extreme thirst and rapid weight loss for about three months before T1 was caught. That being said, I agree 100% with @Tim35 and @Scott_Eric. Your son’s numbers are nothing to worry about and needless testing will instill paranoia and possibly future hypochondriatic behavior in your son.

Our bodies have ways of talking to us. If something is wrong, you will know!

Puh-lease. I’ve randomly checked all my 3 kids at different times. I’ve checked friends and family members too when they’ve been wanting me too or just in talking about it. I think it’s a great way to talk about diabetes and educate. I don’t live in fear and my kids don’t either. They barely bat an eyelash about diabetes. In fact, sometimes they are so chill about it that I hope they remember what to do if I ever get so low I need help. :smirk: Also, with my non-diabetic kids/friends/family- I’ve seen bs spikes 160-150! So your kid is fine but what would change is what everyone else stated- its the big changes that their bodies are really sick. I think it IS important for their doctor to know you are a Type 1. Health history.