Oh, my

It’s been a little rough --lately. My dad passed (a while ago --09), my daughter-in-law thinks my values are not up to her standards and refuses me and my husband unchaperoned time with our beautiful grandbabies, my son understands our “frustrations”, but fam comes first (THERE IS A LEARNED VALUE!!), we cannot give gifts unless sanctioned (no selfishness allowed), I am having trouble remembering things (playing mind games to help) and I am about to hit 50 as a T! D. It is all too much. Oh my!

Yep, 50 is the pits. But the good news, dear one, is that things can get better. I’m 64 now, the aches and pains are gone, my hair stopped thinning and is growing back better than it ever was, the wrinkles have even reversed a bit. I don’t know why, maybe once the hormones completely stop sputtering, everything settles down. When you look and feel good, life seems better and it’s easier to ignore the troublesome people. That probably sounds like Pollyanna, but I swear it’s true.

There are worse things than diabetes and it sounds like your daughter-in-law is one of them.

Have you had your thyroid checked lately? When mine was out whack, my memory really went downhill. Once I got that optimized again, things came back to normal.

Sorry about your daughter-in-law.

I’m T2, but I’m also 64. Just saying g’day to another sextagenarian.

You’re not Pollyanna, you’re right. But as a T2 I have an advantage over you; I was diagnosed at 55 and that kick in the backside turned my health around. I’m actually fitter, happier and healthier at 64 than I was at 50, despite several incurable conditions.

But it’s hard for my hair to get thicker after it mostly disappeared at 27 :slight_smile:

It’s nice to know there is somebody from my era, who heard the Beatles and the Stones as new bands on the charts, over on this part of the forum.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia
Everything in Moderation - Except laughter

I suspect that if your d-i-l was my d-i-l I would be considered the f-i-l from hell…:slight_smile:

Best wishes on entering the prime of your life.

Thanks everyone. Good thought, Kelly. My PC doc lowered my thyroid a while back and it has not been checked in a while. I will look into that.

Oh, and meant 50 years of having T1, not 50 years of age. I will be sixty next spring! :slight_smile: Age is not a problem for me, it is just everything swirling. I guess my vision of the future is not going to happen, and that is hard to understand and accept.

Thanks again.

I’ll be 62 next month, and you are right, it’s nice to see others from my era around! I was misdiagnosed T2 in November of 08, got the correct diagnosis in January of 09. In that timeframe I read every single one of your posts and links on the ADA T2 message board and found them extremely helpful and comforting, even for a T1. They made me believe I would be just fine.

Sue

Wish my hair would grow back! I loved my 50s. I was 61 on Monday, and have more wrinkles, less hair, less energy, etc. than I had in my 50s, but have learned to appreciate still being here every year despite various chronic conditions that seem out to get me.

Happy Birthday!

Out to get me…yea, we all feel that way. But as my mother told me about having D, “You could have diarreha your whole life!” Think on that for a while!?!

Hi Sue, I’m a fellow Sue, I’ll be 62 in May, and I also started as a type 2 (1988) and was changed to a type 1 (2001?). And I also started out on the ADA boards.sometime around 2006 I think. I know we’ve both posted in the same discussions over there; just wanted to say “hi” here!,

T1, sorry to hear your DIL is such a PITA! Every generation seems to have a higher “standard” than the previous, and what was normal for us is below standards for them. That certainly doesn’t mean we were wrong; it just means they are different.

We retired last year and moved in with our daughter and SIL, and two grandsons. We have had many frustrating moments, and I try to stay out of their way as much as possible, but I think they appreciate that we grandparents have a lot to offer; children never receive too much love after all!

I always appreciate grandparents giving us a “date night”!

G’day Sue

This is startying to sound litiginous - we are being sued :slight_smile:

G’day Sue

Nice to meet you over here. I’m glad I was able to help a little when you were new :slight_smile:

Ha ha it took me a moment to catch on!

I didn’t have that luxury while my kids were growing up. My parents lived in Mo. and we lived in NY, and my in-laws never offered to babysit. My daughter is able to come and go as she pleases with us living there. It’s a trade off for putting up with each other every day.